DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

W.Collins's new CCM Cat 6090 (Very Pic Heavy) Options · View
WCollins
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 12:11:33 AM

Groups: Member

As promised here's the photos of the new 6090. Jeez this thing is big and heavy. Starting off personally I really don't think the micro pallet is necessary to ship the model, but never the less at least it reminds the shipper to keep it upright. Now the packaging I will say did a very good job protecting the model, the packaging being the standard CCM style of box with two piece polystyrene foam molded inserts, unlike other CCM models the inserts are loose and not glued into the box lid or bottom.

When unboxing the model before you cut the tape holding the two molded foam inserts together, turn it on it's side, Underneath there are Three large zip ties firmly affixing the model to the bottom tray, you'll need to cut those prior to removing the model.

If you have a extra set of hands to help it will make it go easier because that model is tight in the foam packaging, after getting all the packaging off the model No marring of the paintwork had been caused by any of the packaging.

Unfortunately while the packaging did a excellent job protecting the model, there were a couple of issues. The access ladder from the cab to lower access ladder was detached (It probably had more to do with poor gluing done in the factory than the shipping), the hydraulic flex lines that go to the bucket curl cylinder on the operators side came unglued, and one handrail was bent. But overall those aren't particularly big issues to me and will be a easy fix.

Everything out of the box.

The Ladder fixed back into place.

The unglued hydraulic lines.

A real nice feature on the boom cylinders is they added grub screws so you can hold the boom in any position.

A nice feature is all the rest of the cylinders are stiff enough to hold a pose but are smooth when you move them rather than sticking.

On the back and the top have a lot of details.

On the back of the boom there are a ton of hydraulic lines.

The service crane does function, it spins 360 the boom raises, lowers and extends. The only downside is the winch is non functional.

Underneath the boom foot all of the hydraulic flex lines are modeled.

The cab interior is fully reproduced. The cab has two opening doors, one on each side.

The access ladders function very well and are able to hold most poses and reach the ground.

I'm pretty sure i'm glazing over a lot of other detail and features, but so far I think CCM has made another home run model.

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
Exkvate3140
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 12:54:02 AM

WCollins, that is one sharp model, and has plenty of details. Good luck with it and take good care of it. One question though, how are you going to hide that from your wife.
Very nice purchase.
Steve
WCollins
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 1:38:40 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
WCollins, that is one sharp model, and has plenty of details. Good luck with it and take good care of it. One question though, how are you going to hide that from your wife.
Very nice purchase.
Steve

Well Thank you. That shovel is in a good home, she already has a spot under glass on a very sturdy shelf. But to answer your question, it's a lot easier to hide it from my wife when I don't have one, well not yet at least.

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 6:23:11 AM

Impressive!
Brass or die cast?
Serious hydraulic piping on back of boom.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
Weserhutte
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 9:19:36 AM

Thanks for posting the photos! The model looks very nice overall, but where CCM came up with those goofy looking track shoes is a mystery that I have yet to solve. I've searched the internet and equipment forums for photos of a real machine with that style of shoe, but there aren't any. Even the photos in the specalog don't show them? Perhaps YCC will produce the correct style?

JoeE wrote:
Brass or die cast?

Diecast
kabiki
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 12:36:58 PM

Weserhutte wrote:
Thanks for posting the photos! The model looks very nice overall, but where CCM came up with those goofy looking track shoes is a mystery that I have yet to solve. I've searched the internet and equipment forums for photos of a real machine with that style of shoe, but there aren't any. Even the photos in the specalog don't show them? Perhaps YCC will produce the correct style?

JoeE wrote:
Brass or die cast?

Diecast

When I see the 6090FS shoe feel so sad....... I and my friend order it from DHS last year. look back 1/50 Komatsu PC8000 shoe it looks realApplause

Exkvate3140
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 1:12:17 PM

WCollins thanks for the response, with a conversation piece like that in your home it won’t be long before your walking down the isle. That’s good that your putting that beast under glass, because it would be a pain dusting that off.
Enjoy it.
Steve
Rivera2171
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 1:55:40 PM

Looks great and thanks for sharing! I have one question, it appears that they did not use any photo etch to provide an accurate depiction of the walkways and top deck. Is that a problem for anyone? I personally think the more accurate the better, especially since it will most likely sit in a semi-static display pose. TWH was really good at depicting convincing walkways and such. It is a real turn off for me that CCM didn't attempt to make the walkways and stairways as accurate as possible(track shoes too...). Everything else looks great though. Even the MFG labels on the Fire Suppression cylinders.
Congrats again on the purchase!

👍
Jdhern13
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 7:32:07 PM

Beautiful model! Thanks so much for giving us an early look at the production model. The 6090 is one machine i always wanted in this scale. This release actually brought me back to the hobby as I'm primarily interested in the larger mining machines. Now I'm just waiting for my order to be shipped.
On the subject of details, I think everyone has to decide what they value the most in this balance of build quality, cost, and detail. No model I have seen has ever been 100% perfect or accurate. TWH Had some nice looking screens on their walkways despite the pins needed to secure then to the frames. Being able to see through them made it look more real. However, when you compare a photo etched walkway, or radiator cover, to the real thing, most often it is not true to life. The cut out pattern was either out of scale or the wrong shapes, design, etc. It's the nature of the beast with a scale model. The sculpted looking details on the 6090 walkways might actually match the real thing more. I won't know for sure until i get mine. The track pad detail on the 6090 looks quite good except for the missing high spots in the grooves. I'm unaware if this pattern exists in real life but it doesn't detract from the overall greatness of the model for me. I've been known to be OCD about some details though, so I understand where some people are coming from. The Bymo PC8000 and Conrad R9800 are both missing a cross bar on the boom brackets that hold the stick and cylinder connections. At a casual glance no one will notice, but it really detracted from the models for me. The photo etched screens on the PC8000 bothered me a bit too. They were actually closer to the real thing on the original version than the fatter bars of the newer version.
Paul
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 7:38:30 PM

That is one stunning model.

I know the wooden pallet might be a little OTT but frankly if it helps keep the model intact it's a good move.

I once took delivery of the T264 mining truck and it even had arrows and signage on the box pointing "Keep This Way Up" but as I signed for it I could see it lying completely up side down in the back of the delivery van =>:-<

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Theodore001
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 10:12:57 PM

Looks amazing can’t wait for it to be delivered
maxcavator
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 10:44:05 PM

I like it as a model, but I am glad I don't want one. I rather use the shelf space for more models. Never been a fan of shovels anyhow.
janh
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:52:41 PM

Does the forklift come with the model? Teeth
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:17:44 PM

I want one!!! Wish I could but haven't got the money. It looks wonderful.
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:31:04 PM

Jdhern13 wrote:
The Bymo PC8000 and Conrad R9800 are both missing a cross bar on the boom brackets that hold the stick and cylinder connections. At a casual glance no one will notice, but it really detracted from the models for me.

Can you please post photos of these cross bars? Thanks
Jdhern13
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 9:02:54 PM

Weserhutte wrote:
Jdhern13 wrote:
The Bymo PC8000 and Conrad R9800 are both missing a cross bar on the boom brackets that hold the stick and cylinder connections. At a casual glance no one will notice, but it really detracted from the models for me.

Can you please post photos of these cross bars? Thanks

No problem. Here you can see that the Conrad R9800 is missing the crossmember (between the rear of the mounting brackets) completely. On the newer Bymo PC8000, the crossmember area (front of the brackets) is covered over.

"/>

"/>
AJG
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 3:24:15 PM

Nice pics, William
Thanks for sharing !!

Art
Weserhutte
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 8:28:44 PM

Jdhern13 wrote:
No problem. Here you can see that the Conrad R9800 is missing the crossmember (between the rear of the mounting brackets) completely. On the newer Bymo PC8000, the crossmember area (front of the brackets) is covered over.

Thanks, I see what you mean now!
hummer13
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 12:26:24 AM

Sometimes you have to consider you have to sacrifice details to make models castable. Model looks good wish I did not forget to order one.
Take it from me designing these models to make them easy to cast is a challenge, I am currently developing a model of remu pontoon excavator for a mass production. Model design is a tough job getting all of it to fit together and have the detailing you want.
CCM does leave off certain detailing on these large excavators but overall a very nice model

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Korey
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 2:10:47 PM

Groups: Administration , Member

Weserhutte wrote:

Our friends over at Classic Construction Models supplied us with a link to the official CAT 6090FS web page showing the tracks. Hint: If you use the 360 view you can zoom in.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/hydraulic-mining-shovels/hydraulic-mining-shovels/18490663.html

--Korey