DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Pipemaster Pipe Unloader. Options · View
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:38:40 AM

Groups: Member

Quinella: Here are a couple of pictures and a video of a Pipemaster pipe unloader. They have two huge springs or cylinders in the frame work that allow the arms to go down slowly with the pipe on them. There are two wood blocks mounted the length of the trailer to keep the pipe off the trailer floor. It is best to have the front of the trailer higher than the rear (higher fifth wheel) to allow the pipe to roll to the rear. A piece of wood is placed behind the pipe until you are ready to release it. Two cables run the length of the trailer to secure the pipe for transport, along with wood blocks behind the pipe. The cables are attached to the front of the trailer with two small manual winches, and the rear of the trailer with two chains attached to the cables.Whistle Shhh Ken

Pipemaster 2 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Pipemaster 1 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcU_6lzVMRo

Quinella
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:16:04 AM

Now that is cool as heck. Oh Steveo, how bout it bubba? Necessity is the Mother of invention. Thanks Ken. Craig
sd90
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:05:43 AM

Back in the day we called this parbuckling
We use to come from the side off truck
Two cables underneath load to tracter or truck.
That loader pictured looks a lot easier though.
Leon.

modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:12:57 PM

Can they be fitted to a standard flat bed?Or is it a special type of trailer,specific to that particular job?
dain555
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:52:03 PM

I believe that the trailers are special made for these and these forks are for the unloading only of the pipe. I knew of a company in upstate NY that had a fleet of these trailers, the company was L. S. Lee or Elderlee in the 80s. The were based in Oaks Corners, NY. I actually saw one of these trailers unload some pipe at my last job back in 2007 and it was interesting to see!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:15:43 PM

Dain I don’t think the trailers are specifically made for the Pipemaster, but modifications would have to be made, such as the 4x4’s bolted down on either side of the trailer (which the pipe would roll down because it would keep the bell end up off the bed of the trailer) and the winch set up (two lines of cable, one on the left side and one on the right side) to secure the pipe which goes from the front to back of the trailer with hand winches (to tighten and secure the pipe while being transported)and chain with hooks on the end of the cables. I’m sure the axles would have to be specific to the weight, the RCP is heavy. It is like you said interesting to watch.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:20:49 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Can they be fitted to a standard flat bed?Or is it a special type of trailer,specific to that particular job?

modelmaniac: Any flatbed could be used, mostly tandem axles on spring suspension.
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:35:09 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Dain I don’t think the trailers are specifically made for the Pipemaster, but modifications would have to be made, such as the 4x4’s bolted down on either side of the trailer (which the pipe would roll down because it would keep the bell end up off the bed of the trailer) and the winch set up (two lines of cable, one on the left side and one on the right side) to secure the pipe which goes from the front to back of the trailer with hand winches (to tighten and secure the pipe while being transported)and chain with hooks on the end of the cables. I’m sure the axles would have to be specific to the weight, the RCP is heavy. It is like you said interesting to watch.
Steve

You got it Steve, no special trailer needed. To scale the larger pipe, I have seen stepdecks used where they have removed the upper and lower deck
so just the frame rails are used. Here is one in the background of this picture.

Pipemaster stepdeck by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:38:03 PM

Dain they can be applied to any trailer as long as the the trailer is rated for the weight, because the RCP is heavy, I have also seen them on drop deck trailers. Modifications obviously have to be made like 4x6’s on either side of the trailer (this keeps the RCP off the bed of the trailer so the bell end does not come in contact with the bed and also makes it roll easier) that are bolted down from front to back and also winches on the left and right side at the front of the trailer (to secure the pipe during transport) which have cables that go to the back where it is connected to chains and hooks to attach to the back of the trailer. No power is needed for the Pipemaster it is just a heavy duty spring with cylinders that move up and down with the weight of the RCP. Very simple idea but a great design that saves a lot of time and money for the site contractors who don’t have to stop production to unload, and I would assume for the manufacturers as well. RCP was spec’ed on the majority of jobs in the northeast, but ADS is starting to put a dent in their business and it is a lot easier to work with.
Steve
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 4:00:39 PM

Sorry for the double post, had to let the dogs out and thought I lost my first post. Dam dogs.
Steve
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:35:20 AM

We see them on the job all the time if getting RCP delivered. If the type of RCP pipe has a bigger bell they will have two hardwood strips running length of trailer to allow pipe to be slightly elevated to roll evenly. There is a minimum size they usually use with unloader. Guess it's more because the smaller pipe is lighter and then double stacked so you have to unload it with forks.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:51:14 PM

One thing I noticed on the on truck I saw operate and the others that belonged to the L.S.Lee company, the trailers didn't have the winch/cable thing, the pipe was loaded on with wood wedged in place to keep the sections from rolling till they were ready to be off loaded. Also the trailers I saw used a chain and chain binder on the rear pipe to secure the load on the trailer.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:56:33 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Sorry for the double post, had to let the dogs out and thought I lost my first post. Dam dogs.
Steve

What kind of dogs do you have?
Exkvate3140
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:30:26 PM

Ken right now I have an Affenpinscher, Irish Wolfhound and my daughters white German Shepherd with me. Up until 3 months ago I also had my two other daughters dogs also, Lab/Pitbull mix, Lab/Hound mix and Lab/Boxer mix, they are now down in Fla. Can’t live without puppies.
Steve
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:27:51 AM

Ken I also have about 15 Mack dogs throughout the house, but they don’t bark.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:55:25 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Ken I also have about 15 Mack dogs throughout the house, but they don’t bark.
Steve

My Mack dogs bark and bite!Shhh d'oh! Confused We have a wiener dog, a minpin, and a lab/doberman mix.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:22:06 PM

Your a Doby man, my brother has a full bred one they are very intelligent and also very good with people regardless of what they say about them. Your Lab/Doberman mix must be a really good dog, do they all get along. I bet the minipin has complete control of the house like the Affenpinscher does at my pad, she keeps everyone in line and is the loudest. When I had six of them in the house at one time, for about three months they all got along great together, I guess it’s how you train and treat them. The lab/pitbull mix sat next to me everyday religiously when I shattered my tibia and I could not stand on it for close to year. Did you ever take them on any of your road trips for company.
Steve
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:20:39 PM

The Dachshund is the boss (thinks he is a Doberman), the Min-Pin is a Tasmanian Devil, and the Lab is the pup, 2 1/2 years old. The other two are almost 14. They get along, the Lab wants to play but gets a little rough. The Doxie is always on the recliner with me. barking orders!
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:13:15 PM

Ken same here they run the house, the Affenpinscher has more clothes than I do. My daughter bought the Wolfhound and the Shepherd pajamas. When I come back in my second life I wanna be a dog, probably a small one because all the women migrate to them first. The Wolfhound is just about 6 months and weighs over 70lbs, full grown he will probably be close to 200lbs and be up to my chest in height.
Steve