Groups: Member

Nice work! Now you need that fleet of 651E's for those beautiful D11N's

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
Antho
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 1:00:44 AM

Absolutely beautiful! Makes me wish I knew how to work with brass.
rlmc
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 5:54:22 PM

Outstanding work there Dex. Robert
Dex
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:58:53 PM

Thanks everyone!

Ethan, I was eyeballing your 651e build, I'll definitely haveto try my hand at one in the future. So many projects in the wish list. I have a 631e build on the short list though, but I'm sure a D11n would be overkill as a pusher for it.
Dex
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 9:00:44 PM

Antho wrote:
Absolutely beautiful! Makes me wish I knew how to work with brass.

Give it a try! I find it easier to work with than poly. Its the soldering that's the hard part.
Brad
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 9:12:05 PM

Question for the experts. Did Cat ever build a D11 in the pusher configuration?
JTL
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 12:27:04 AM

Brad wrote:
Question for the experts. Did Cat ever build a D11 in the pusher configuration?

Not sure if a true pusher has left Peoria since the last Quad 9’s were built. Balderson, and I’m sure other aftermarket companies built lots of pushin’ chushin’s over the years and local dealers and contractors installed them on their machines.
I seen a D11R for sale a few years ago with a push blade, and saw a ratted out N sitting in an old pit in Wyoming with a push blade on it.

If you Google d11 pushing scrapers there’s some videos of 11R’s and 11T’s with push blades punching 651’s.

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
Dex
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 1:16:59 AM

My 1989 Caterpillar Performance Handbook has the cushion blade listed as an option for the D11N, but I don't think it left the factory in that configuration. There are a few N pushcat conversions that I found on Google after I decided on the project. My pushcat is mostly an exercise in creative freedom. Teeth
Brad
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 6:44:10 PM

Dex wrote:
My 1989 Caterpillar Performance Handbook has the cushion blade listed as an option for the D11N, but I don't think it left the factory in that configuration. There are a few N pushcat conversions that I found on Google after I decided on the project. My pushcat is mostly an exercise in creative freedom. Teeth
. Thanks for reply. Just curious if Cat actually ever did a inside frame on that monster. Have no problem with the imagineering. After all Cat never did any diecast either
max
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:10:41 AM

Dex,
I am totally amazed by your talent.....
The fact you took the time to drill to "open" the upper part of the blade on the dozer tells a lot about your talent and your patience.....very reallistic and well done!!!!Applause Whistle
Best regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:39:48 AM

Dex, this is art.

Looked many times to this set of customized D11s befor replying. I especially enjoy the cab interiors. The U-blad D11N is just like they were used in Germany for quarry work so much. There was often the opinion that you have to use a SU-blade in a quarry, because its shorter and has better penetration. But the quarry guys favoured a U-blade over an SU-blade so often.

The pushcat D11N is just yelling "California!". I can remember seeing a cushionend pushblade for the D10 in the according sdales brochure (including a special narrow gauge variant for travelling inside the cut of the scraper), so Im pretty sure a cushioned blade was offered for the D11N, too. But what about this typical californian open-air cab with sunroof? Is this a local built item or of the shelve by Caterpillar?

As a German, it is somewhat crazy to see a machine that is considered a big gun in our quarries... to do agricultural deep ripping in another place on the world like California. In my eyes, your D11N is just so typical for such an ag use, too: The push dozer is can remain on the tractor for road transport but still offers some counterweight for a slip plow behind.

Best regards,
Max
Dex
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 2:08:52 AM

Mr Scholz,

It's my understanding these open cabs were meant as a low budget aftermarket fix for enclosed cabs that didn't have A/C. Windowed cabs, without A/C in the SoCal heat during summer is a tortuous place to be, even with the doors open.
Dex
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 11:20:45 PM

Alright gang, the videos are finally up. I decided to have a go a starting a channel to follow the builds that I do. Forgive the editing and long-winded videos, I'm still figuring this filming stuff out.

You can find the videos here: Stephen's Custom Models. I have a few more videos, and I will upload them once a week on Monday evenings.

I'm currently working on a new project, details will be up in a few weeks in a new thread.

Cheers!
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 8:08:00 AM

I just had a short glimps, but I'm pretty entusiastic about this. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. Mega-cool.

Thanks,
Max
Dex
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 11:57:37 AM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
I just had a short glimps, but I'm pretty entusiastic about this. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. Mega-cool.

Thanks,
Max

I learned a lot of it from other people's guidance and places like this, so it's fun to try to give something back!
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 5:07:09 PM

Dex,

they are som decent scale modeling channels like those by Paul Budzik's Scale Model Workshop, which covers many modeling themes from race cars over airplanes and ships to HO scale trains and is a great library for general questions - or the tank-related Night Shift, which offers many good tips for weathering heavy iron. I highly recomend these two.

But yours fill a gap on YT regarding 1/50 customizing on a high level using brass. And as I understand it, you've done a step-by-step procedure, which is really cool.

Cheers,

Max
Dex
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 2:15:34 AM

Thanks, Max, I really appreciate the feedback!
Dex
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:00:18 AM

Last episode is up! https://youtu.be/Cdxj4l5mk-w

Thanks to those of you who viewed all of the previous ones.

I have a new project that I will be uploading in a few weeks time. Pretty soon the season will catch up to my current progress, so it'll be interesting to see if I can keep up with an episode a week. The new season episodes are filmed a lot better, lol. I've learned a lot about editing and filming so far, plus the current project is a bit easier and less time consuming.
Jamiescotland
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:35:14 PM

Great to see these, thanks. It just reinforces what an effort you go to in the name of accuracy and quality. It makes me feel a bit of an amateur!