DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The Land Clearers Jungle Cats (1st D9 tractor finished!) Options · View
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:16:54 PM
Groups: Member

Hey mates,

just shot a nice 41 at the bay. Its in pretty decent shape, exhaust stacks and canopy are missing. Otherwise it´s fine and nothing is broken. Can anobody tell me a color code for this model?

Thanks
Max
max
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 2:21:34 AM

Wich one did you get??
Theire are 2 versions, the yellow and the orange one.
In my case, many years ago, i got a 41B in yellow with many paint chips here and there.
I did small touch-ups using new Cat yellow and you can barely see the diference.
If you do any work on it, make sure you post some pictures......having seen your D11's, i do have high expectations about your work!!!!!Drool
Hope this helps.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 6:36:39 PM

Hi Max,

thanks for the feedback. Regarding the D11s, youre probably talking about those done by Dex? Thanks anyway. Should have a can of genuine CAT Yellow somewhere...

Searching for a decent pair of crawler tractors to demonstrate land clearing by chaining.

First pair: Gescha D9G and HD41 - which would be the base for a HD31 in 1/50. CCM D9g Conrad D9 HD41 (7) by FatCatGotHot

Second pair: CCM D9G in 1/48 and the HD41 again. Nows looks to small for a HD31, though
CCM D9g Conrad D9 HD41 (6) by FatCatGotHot

Third pair - my favourite - Gescha D9G and CCM D9G. Because of the flat hood the Gescha is a good base for a D9E, which was a notch smaller the a G.
CCM D9g Conrad D9 HD41 (2) by FatCatGotHot

Have set up a soldering rig for a heavy timber canopy. my first brass custom.

Cheers,
Max

codydanos
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 7:09:49 PM

What’s the deal with the rip blade on the d9? I had never even heard of it unitl ccm anounced that model
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:00:40 PM

Hi Cody,

talked to Gary of CCM. They had no idea of it, too - until ECOTITAN came up with it. It seems back in the sixties, there was this idea about increasing productivity by joining ripping and dozing into on tool. There is this Caterpillar 9R rip dozer blade, ATECO offered a very similar one. Third version was different, made by Balderson http://server-support-company.com/i/2019/01/names-of-bulldozers-blade-manufacturers-laquo-classic-dozers-1092x821.jpg

The first time I read abut this rip blade was in 2003, in the D9 book by Ad Gevers and Thomas Wilk. The idea of it was interesting, but didnt had much succes. On my land clearing Cat, it will be used for diggin stumps.

Cheers,
Max
codydanos
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:07:55 PM

That’s really interesting. Seems like the idea of cats 9r blade never really caught on. I sure wish ccm would’ve made a more general version, maybe an angle blade with a winch version
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:12:14 PM

Classic outfit for a D9G in Europ is a U-blade and the Kelley ripper. Was kinda disapointed about CCMs choice first, but now I really like the look of the tall rip dozer blade. And the multishank is huge! A multishank with the middle shank removed is the land cleares choice for pulling stumps in Australia.
codydanos
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 10:31:12 PM

Yes!!! A u-blade and Kelley would’ve be great. But oh well, I love my 1/25 first gear d9. The detail on it is out of this world. The details looked a little sparse on the ccm’s in my opinion
sd90
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 5:49:30 AM

I agree with you about the first gear d9 1/25 Dozer fantastic details mine will be
going with me in the next world 👼 .
Just in case I may use it.
Leon.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:27:02 AM

Hi Cody,

yes, the D9Ds and Es by First gear are wonderful! Im a big fan of the flat hooded D9E, since this was the first D9 I saw aged 14. Detailwise Im satisfied with my CCM G, especially the tracks are very detailed for a 1/48 model. All aggregates of the engines seem to be reproduced - all, but the pony engine. We find an exhaust pipe for it on the hood, but so far Im still searching the actual pony an the model. All the control handles are made of plastic, thats a drawback since they look very brittle. Probably I will replace them by some made of brass wire.

Something disapointing were two missing track rollers you only see when you lift the tracks, second pair from front is missing. A friend of mine has the same model, he checked - two missing track rollers as well. Ok, you dont see it, but still, for this price.... hmm.
A detail missing in my eyes is the oil line for the turbocharger bearing, thats something I want to add. I see that the 1/48 will loose in comparisson to a 1/25 model, but for now, Im satisfied with this CCM model. When the tractor has recieved its australian canary cage, most details will be covered nevertheless...

Cheers,
Max

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 7:29:46 PM

So here we go - Heavy Duty Jungle Canopy, the first steps

Cat D9G Canary Cage (2) by FatCatGotHot
Cat D9G Canary Cage (1) by FatCatGotHot
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 7:44:36 PM

BAM! Here is the plan...

Cat D9G Canary Cage (5) by FatCatGotHot
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 1:16:58 AM

Max that canopy looks fantastic, nice work.
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:26:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback Steve,

now here my first steps in soldering something. Doesnt look perfect, but was alotta fun.

Cat D9G Canary Cage (6) by FatCatGotHot

C
h
e
e
r
s

Max
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:01:10 PM

Soldering looks good! Did you use a soldering iron or a torch? A suggestion, file and sand paper down the joints, and maybe a little filler in the voids and you have a nice smooth look. Teeth Ken

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:55:03 PM

Thanks Ken,

I use an iron. Many modelers use a soldering gun, which is safer, very handy and absolutly sufficient for 1/50 and even smaller. Got the iron from a hobby mate and am quite happy with it. Youre right, still some finish-up-work left! thanks for the tips,

Max
Exkvate3140
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 12:05:09 AM

Max looks good and your soldering also looks fine. As for your Big Allis I think it is closer to a 21 taking measurements from a spec sheet and scaling it to a 50 scale. There is a lot of body work to be done on the 41 to get it resemble a 31 or 21. I was thinking of doing a 21 but after seeing how much body work needed to be done I opted out, now I have 2 small 41B’s.
Can’t wait to see your canopy finished.
Steve
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 8:08:08 AM

Hi Steve,

So this explains my 21-ish feeling when I was looking on the small HD41. But what can I say? I just traded the HD 41 for Proxxon saw!

When youre chaing trees and match a D9 with a D8-class machine, the operator on the bigger dozer must be alert to not damage the smaller tractor. So I think, for safety reasons and such, Ill let the G roll with the E.

Which I wanted to do for a long time.:d/

Thanks for checking the HD21 data sheet. On my side of the pond, its a really rare bird nowadays.

C
h
e
e
r
s

Max
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 8:20:43 AM

Here is a nice D9E with heavy timber canopy

Tillys D9E
Exkvate3140
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 11:39:27 PM

Max that is a bunch of protection going on there, what type of weight does that add to the machine. If you pick up another 41B and you want the specs between the 3 of them, 41, 31 and 21 just let me know and I will email them to you plus pictures.
Steve