DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Question for the DHS Veterans Options · View
SS 396
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:52:56 PM
Groups: Member

Hey everyone,

Its been a long time since I have done anything on these forums. Used to come here all the time and read through everyones post. I still remember the old DHS website. Needless to say, I haven't done much in the model world for quite some time. Not by choice! I still take a look every now and then at the sites/reviews. Not to sure why I fell out of the model world, life goes on pretty quick! I will say models have come quite far since I was a young kid. The detail is unbelievable. I remember wishing for these details and attachments way back when.......

All that said, I have a questions for the Forum veterans! I remember the old website used to have a section on the right side with a buy/sell/trade link. What ever happened to that, any reason it is gone? I have recently decided to part with some items, not much but a few things, both in the die-cast and plastic model world, and thought to come here first. I also have random parts lots that I would hate to throw away. I'm sure there is somewhere to sell this stuff (other than eBay), and figured you would be the group to ask!

I thank you guys for any help, and if for some reason this topic isn't allowed, I apologize and feel free to delete it!

Have a good Sunday!

John
JohnGalt
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:01:05 PM

I think the buy/sell notices were being abused, and DHS was getting competition from the abusers. I don't remember the specifics, but it was something like that.
GC1
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:47:38 PM

John is pretty well right. To much abuse and seedy deals, plus direct competition to DHS, which is where the problem was. I think DHS was absolutely correct in getting rid of it.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 12:04:29 PM

Getting rid of the classifieds killed off a lot of traffic, just my opinion. Used to pick up and sell off a ton of great deals there.

If you're looking to sell off parts and models but don't want to use feebay, try Facebook groups. There are quite a few out there that cater to cranes, trucks and just everything in general.
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:32:42 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Getting rid of the classifieds killed off a lot of traffic, just my opinion. Used to pick up and sell off a ton of great deals there.

100% agree as i've said a dozen times already. i know for FACT, I personally spent several hours a day bouncing back and forth between the classifieds and the forum. and i also know I was not the only one with such an addiction. now ill visit maybe once a month, and post even less frequently.

facebook groups and instagram are mediocre substitutes for the old classifieds, way too many tire kickers.

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:33:50 PM

There also was some guy who kept putting his models in the front of the line, so to speak. He ruined the classifieds for everyone. It was indeed competition for Chuck, but I think more of a headache for Chuck. I never bought because there was no guarantees for return of bad merchandise or scam artists. I don't miss it. Just post what you are looking for and ask for a private message. That may even be wrong, I don't know. CAW
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 11:55:49 AM

Quinella wrote:
There also was some guy who kept putting his models in the front of the line, so to speak. He ruined the classifieds for everyone. It was indeed competition for Chuck, but I think more of a headache for Chuck. I never bought because there was no guarantees for return of bad merchandise or scam artists. I don't miss it. Just post what you are looking for and ask for a private message. That may even be wrong, I don't know. CAW

I agree there was that one clown who kept deleting and reposting just so he could advertise. I have been on many other forums where there are classified sections that are moderated by members and kept well clean, also you have to be a member for so long in order to post items for sale. Maybe some kind of fee associated to DHS would deter such practices, I know I wouldn't mind chipping in $5 or $10 for a sale to support the host.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 11:59:58 AM

Eric Pioszak wrote:
kokosing Const Co wrote:

100% agree as i've said a dozen times already. i know for FACT, I personally spent several hours a day bouncing back and forth between the classifieds and the forum. and i also know I was not the only one with such an addiction. now ill visit maybe once a month, and post even less frequently.

facebook groups and instagram are mediocre substitutes for the old classifieds, way too many tire kickers.

Same here, I used to log on at least 4-5 times per day. Ever since the forums were redesigned a lot of members left. Before anyone says that FB and IG took that traffic away I would argue that isn't true because it was far prior to them becoming big. Also think that many photo hosting sites killed a lot of the interest also.
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 1:39:48 PM

All that maybe true, but the real factor is "Does Chuck want to do it?" He would have to monitor it and he would definitely not be liable for any screw ups or money lost. So I think he must be on board first. CAW
Barkerjoh
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2019 5:01:24 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Quinella wrote:

I agree there was that one clown who kept deleting and reposting just so he could advertise. I have been on many other forums where there are classified sections that are moderated by members and kept well clean, also you have to be a member for so long in order to post items for sale. Maybe some kind of fee associated to DHS would deter such practices, I know I wouldn't mind chipping in $5 or $10 for a sale to support the host.

Maybe instead of a certain dollar amount fee a percentage would work better say 2% for example. Have the transaction run through a PayPal for instance that way any thing that happens is covered by the transaction company avoiding chuck or dhs there. The fee or percentage would be a fee just to chuck or dhs for hosting or providing the service.