DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Some New Motive Power Options · View
Claus
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 11:06:04 PM

Groups: Member

My 3 New Lionel Sd40-2s. O gauge or 1/48 scale.

sd90
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:26:29 AM

Nice locomotives đź‘Ť.
Leon
JoeE
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:55:10 AM

Very cool!
I love the W&LE's reminiscence of the D&RGW paint.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:42:17 AM

Really like the look of that 'bridge',you have obviously built it yourself.What is it made from?It looks like a wooden structure,but I can see metal bits in it.Is it above head height?
Claus
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:01:35 AM

JoeE wrote:
Very cool!
I love the W&LE's reminiscence of the D&RGW paint.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I believe the W&LE started to paint their locomotives in this paint scheme after they acquired some of the ex D&RG SD40 tunnel motors.

Claus
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:09:08 AM

modelmaniac wrote:
Really like the look of that 'bridge',you have obviously built it yourself.What is it made from?It looks like a wooden structure,but I can see metal bits in it.Is it above head height?

Thanks for the compliment on the bridge but no, I didn't build it myself. Several years ago I seen a custom builder selling bridges on eBay. I contacted him and had him build the bridge for me to my specs. The surprising thing about the bridge is it is actually upside down. I had him build it so it would stand the other way with the trains passing through it. Because my second, unfinished loop is a higher elevation than the inside loop although the trains would go through the bridge the trains made the bridge look too small as the top of the trains would be too close too the roof of the bridge. I was going to cut my losses and order a new bridge when I thought, I'll try flipping it over. It worked out great and there is 6"4" under the bridge, plenty of room for my 5'10" ass.
modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:52:29 PM

Don't matter which way up it is,as long as it supports the loadTeeth Looks like it took a while to build,did it cost much?
Claus
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:59:15 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Don't matter which way up it is,as long as it supports the loadTeeth Looks like it took a while to build,did it cost much?

It’s been so long ago I don’t remember the exact price but I want to say it was between $100 and $200 and was like a month to get it. I was very happy with it.
modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:20:55 PM

Well worth it.Looks really good,where it is.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:38:12 PM

Claus make sure you lock your doors because you will wake up one morning and The Q will be sitting in your man cave with an engineers cap on his head singing “I been working on the railroad” while putting hours on your engines, which by the way are very nice along with your bridges. You need to seriously think about some dioramas that incorporate both your truck collection and engine collection and get pictures of it up as soon as possible.
Steve
SDBOB
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:32:01 AM

Nice additions. There is a rr truss bridge that crosses the Mongahelia river near Charleroi,Pa. Rt 70 parallels it,I've seen slow moving diesels going across, it I could say Wheeling and Lake Erie units but cant remember.
RMS Models
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:11:20 PM

Claus,

Are you running DCS or conventional control?
Claus
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:19:40 PM

RMS Models wrote:
Claus,

Are you running DCS or conventional control?

I'm just running Conventional. These locomotives are Conventional, TMCC, Legacy or Bluetooth ready but I'm not there yet. Years ago I used TMCC, when you run a system like that you run the transformer wide open and there is a small wire going to the TMCC receiver, that small wire came off on me once I panicked and I had a big train wreck. My trains are 7' off the floor, it's not so easy to react to something like that. After that I have just stuck to Conventional.
JoeE
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 6:36:25 AM

SDBOB wrote:
Nice additions. There is a rr truss bridge that crosses the Mongahelia river near Charleroi,Pa. Rt 70 parallels it,I've seen slow moving diesels going across, it I could say Wheeling and Lake Erie units but cant remember.

My favorite thing about being on Route 70. The ex N&W Speers bridge.Teeth

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
Claus
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 6:50:45 AM

Wow!!! Thanks for posting that!
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 11:29:44 AM

That looks the bridge in “Unstoppable” right before the big corner, great picture. Now I want to go find episodes of The Adams family so I can watch Gomez crash his trains head on. Claus I do believe you running some of your older engines off your tressel with the 336’ drop would be more impressive than Gomez running his head on. Imagine the dio you could create on your floor of the cleanup needed, engines, trucks, trailers and heavy equipment. You must have old engines that you were going to get rid off, problem solved with a great diorama to follow. Just an idea.
Steve
Claus
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:39:00 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
That looks the bridge in “Unstoppable” right before the big corner, great picture. Now I want to go find episodes of The Adams family so I can watch Gomez crash his trains head on. Claus I do believe you running some of your older engines off your tressel with the 336’ drop would be more impressive than Gomez running his head on. Imagine the dio you could create on your floor of the cleanup needed, engines, trucks, trailers and heavy equipment. You must have old engines that you were going to get rid off, problem solved with a great diorama to follow. Just an idea.
Steve

They never hit the floor Steve but thank for thinking of me.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 5:53:56 PM

đź‘Ť
Dex
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 11:37:13 PM

Those are beauties. I'd love to get an O-scale loco some time for display. Something high-hood, and either first gen, or second gen EMD. Just so many damn choices.
Claus
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:09:40 AM

Dex wrote:
Those are beauties. I'd love to get an O-scale loco some time for display. Something high-hood, and either first gen, or second gen EMD. Just so many damn choices.

If you want one for display Atlas O has the most details, but not the most choices.