DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Dieast Masters Jeep Options · View
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 1:41:12 PM

Groups: Member

I installed a third axle on my DM XL Specialized jeep today. I split the axles from another jeep and lucked out with the screw mounting hole lining up with the screw that holds the 5th wheel on. I tapped the 5th wheel and installed a longer screw. 2 axle jeeps are always heavy (only allowed 20,000 an axle in most states) on axle weight especially with a short neck extension. Extension should be up tight to the jeep neck. 🤐

100_1610 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

100_1608 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

100_1609 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

100_1611 by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 2:06:26 PM

Nice.Applause Looks really good.Has the addition of the extra axle increased the weight capacity of the lowboy?Or does it mean there is less weight on the 5th wheel?
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 3:17:55 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
Nice.Applause Looks really good.Has the addition of the extra axle increased the weight capacity of the lowboy?Or does it mean there is less weight on the 5th wheel?

Thank you. Yes, it does increase the total capacity by 20,000-25,000 pounds (less the weight of the axle) It will affect the weight on the tractor drive axles by taking some weight away, but absorb the weight directly to the jeep axles that you cant't slide up onto the tractor. Whistle

Claus
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 5:26:01 PM

Such a clean custom job, looks like it came that way out of the box.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:09:25 PM

Ken that looks fantastic, great job.
You do realize a VHD is the only tractor that is both good looking and the only one with enough ponies to pull that 9 around. Now no pictures or captions about the Volvo you are afraid to admit you like. 🤬
Steve
RobS
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:35:41 AM

Really nice looking, good job!

Rob
Don L
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 12:24:08 AM

That is awesome. I don't have the skill to do that (and I don't have an extra jeep) but I was trying to figure it I could do something like that using a stinger axle. I was also trying to figure out if I could make a 3 axle stinger from the two I have.

In the end I chickened out. lol
wildpig1234
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 4:17:48 AM

now if we can only modify the jeep somehow so that it will work with the 620 tractor for even more capacity? maybe somehow splice the trailer gooseneck into the jeep?
Claus
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 5:38:50 AM

kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 1:39:05 PM

Don L wrote:
That is awesome. I don't have the skill to do that (and I don't have an extra jeep) but I was trying to figure it I could do something like that using a stinger axle. I was also trying to figure out if I could make a 3 axle stinger from the two I have.

I checked that out first. The booster axle assembly is wider than the Jeep, and doesn't fit right.d'oh!
Don L
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 6:17:01 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
Don L wrote:

I checked that out first. The booster axle assembly is wider than the Jeep, and doesn't fit right.d'oh!

Well, I guess may be I will have to buy an entire tractor-trailer with jeep and give it a try. I haven't ever seen an individual red DM jeep for sale anywhere.

Since I am a novice, when you said "I split the axles from another jeep" exactly how is this accomplished? Did you just remove an axle by removing the screw, or does split mean something else.

Thanks for sharing this Ken. It looks totally amazing.

Don
wildpig1234
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 8:21:33 PM

yeah, that would be the best thing is to have a triple driven axle tractor like 620 with a 3 axle jeep and a 3 axle trailer and a 3 axle booster. But if diecast master makes one, i suspect the price will be close to $300. then you might as well get one of those nooteboom ones.
Don L
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:30:28 PM

wildpig1234 wrote:
yeah, that would be the best thing is to have a triple driven axle tractor like 620 with a 3 axle jeep and a 3 axle trailer and a 3 axle booster. But if diecast master makes one, i suspect the price will be close to $300. then you might as well get one of those nooteboom ones.

Actually DM does make a Tridem that you can buy separately. I just changed out the kingpin on my WSI Peterbuilt and used that.

Don L
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:34:44 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
I installed a third axle on my DM XL Specialized jeep today. I split the axles from another jeep and lucked out with the screw mounting hole lining up with the screw that holds the 5th wheel on. I tapped the 5th wheel and installed a longer screw. 2 axle jeeps are always heavy (only allowed 20,000 an axle in most states) on axle weight especially with a short neck extension. Extension should be up tight to the jeep neck. 🤐

I found it interesting that my combo came with chrome wheels on the jeep and white wheels on the lowboy and stingers. Still haven't figured that out.
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:39:59 PM

Don L wrote:
kcmtoys wrote:
Don L wrote:

Well, I guess may be I will have to buy an entire tractor-trailer with jeep and give it a try. I haven't ever seen an individual red DM jeep for sale anywhere.

Since I am a novice, when you said "I split the axles from another jeep" exactly how is this accomplished? Did you just remove an axle by removing the screw, or does split mean something else.

Thanks for sharing this Ken. It looks totally amazing.

Don

Thanks Don. Take out the 2 screws and remove the axle assembly. Use a thin saw blade and carefully cut behind the air bags of the front axle (this is the one you want to use) it is plastic and will cut very easily.

100_1609_LI by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>

kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:42:30 PM

Don L wrote:
kcmtoys wrote:

I found it interesting that my combo came with chrome wheels on the jeep and white wheels on the lowboy and stingers. Still haven't figured that out.

Should have come with all chrome wheels.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:44:12 PM

Hi Ken, great job on the conversion of the jeep dolly, it looks sharp. Thanks so much for sharing.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:46:47 PM

Don L wrote:

You should enquire about that with Diecast Masters as all of the wheels on that combo should be chrome. Best of luck!

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:26:19 PM

Thank's to everyone for your comments. Teeth

Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 12:28:17 AM

Nice Ken. Put another load on that puppy, max capacity in Illinois let's say. Or put 3 or 4 Volvos with blown engines. That would look appropriate. I love that square nose International. CAW