DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Liebherr RL66 Pipelayer by IMC Models Options · View
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 4:53:49 AM

Groups: Member

This model has been around for a while now but an Italian dealer was recently selling them for a very good price to I picked up a couple. I then acquired a third one along the way, which is the one I have used for transport:

I think this is an excellent model. Even though it is not really designed to be broken down for transport, it can easily be done.

Paul R
argie
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 6:23:16 AM

Great models Paul. Looks good as a load to although I would say it's a little too high for European travel on the Nooteboom
JohnGalt
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 11:49:33 AM

Paul, those look great. Sidebooms are cool, because they are cookies and dirt. When you look at what they are, even though they are engineered and manufactured in state-of-the-art factories, they still have that "hillbilly", almost "Sunkist Diecast" Frankenstein monster appearance. Know what I mean? I first read about sidebooms in Trains magazine, about 30 years ago, in an article about Hulcher Services, and their railroad recovery operations and equipment. The article mentioned that the machines were pipelayers, but I'd never seen one working in the streets of Chicago. I'm much more worldly now, and I appreciate the broad range of conditions on the planet, and especially the equipment that's been developed to accommodate working in them. Great pictures of great models! Thanks!
Dave
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 2:41:27 PM

Nice, I have 2 of the RL64 pipelayers from NZG and I also rigged them to be able to break down for transport. Basically I only had to work with the boom as the counter weights already come off.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 3:20:16 PM

argie wrote:
Great models Paul. Looks good as a load to although I would say it's a little too high for European travel on the Nooteboom

Could be but I’m not sure. I know they do transport quite large excavators on these types of trailers but again, I don’t know the height.

Paul R