DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Windmill Farm Crane Options · View
Steveo
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 4:20:30 PM
Groups: Member

Just north of us here they are erecting another wind farm. There has been a large amount of excavations and cement truck after cement truck pouring a terrific amount of concrete for the bases. I did stumble onto where they will start erecting when the time comes as I found this brand new crane already set up and ready to go with a mountain of crane mats. I shot some photos of what is there already at .... https://steveo.smugmug.com/History/Windmill-Crane-2020/ .

My quick question is.........just what does one of these bad boys cost ?? Since I'm retired (and NO....I'm not interesting in buying one) I will keep an eye on this site to get some shots of them working so will keep in touch. Enjoy.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 7:32:20 PM

Really nice quality pictures Steveo! It's hard to determine what they cost as it matters what setup they buy but this looks like an LR 11000 and if I could guess on this brand new setup it would be around 6 - 8 million. For a company like Kiewit it's a drop in the bucket.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
lefty91101
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 11:22:33 PM

I was always told (ballpark-figure) about a million per 100 ton capacity. +\-
Steveo
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 11:48:19 PM

Thanks fellas so far for your responses. I couldn't find a model number on this unit and since I was always on the "dirt" side of things I had no clue on what something like this would run. I wouldn't even know what the load capacity would be either. Will keep an eye on it.

And thanks for your comment on the quality of photos. I'm into bird photography and have spent my kids inheritance on equipment !!!!!!
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 1:19:11 AM

LR 11000 (1000 ton capacity)

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 12:43:45 PM

Saw an 11000 last year at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. This crane was an aboslute monster, had a huge luffer on it too. That one belonged to Buckner though, believe it was dismantled and hauled out this past March.
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 5:10:54 PM

Steveo wrote:
And thanks for your comment on the quality of photos. I'm into bird photography and have spent my kids inheritance on equipment !!!!!!

D850 and the 70-200 f2.8 is certainly a nice set up Cool

Paul R
RobS
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 10:11:21 PM

Steveo wrote:
Just north of us here they are erecting another wind farm. There has been a large amount of excavations and cement truck after cement truck pouring a terrific amount of concrete for the bases. I did stumble onto where they will start erecting when the time comes as I found this brand new crane already set up and ready to go with a mountain of crane mats. I shot some photos of what is there already at .... https://steveo.smugmug.com/History/Windmill-Crane-2020/ .

My quick question is.........just what does one of these bad boys cost ?? Since I'm retired (and NO....I'm not interesting in buying one) I will keep an eye on this site to get some shots of them working so will keep in touch. Enjoy.

Where in Indiana? We drove from Goshen to Columbus, OH over the weekend and there is a large windfarm east of Fort Wayne, in Ohio. The eastern portion seems to be expanding and I saw a similar yellow crane in the distance. Several tower sections up with no nacelle yet. And we saw several empty haulers heading west on 30. Didn't have time to scout it out but maybe in the future.

Great pics!

Rob
Steveo
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 10:50:55 PM

Rob.........go north of Reynolds, IN on highway 421 to 200 North; then go west to 600 West; then north 3 miles. Can't miss it.....right there on the west side 50 feet off the road. I have heard tell that this farm will have turbines with 200 foot blades on them. They are working their way to the north of 200 North installing the bases so it may be a couple of months before they will be placing silos on them. Will keep in touch with updates.
Steveo
Steveo
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2020 2:19:28 AM

OK fellas. I made my last trip up to the windmill farm in Indiana and obtained some more photos. Here is the updated link https://steveo.smugmug.com/History/Windmill-Crane-2020/ . Enjoy. This equipment is awesome to watch operating to say the least.
Rocky100370
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2020 9:14:58 AM

Thanks for sharing the pics!! Thats a big beautiful crane!! Not sure if this is the same outfit but they are building a massive wind farm just south of Chenoa IL right off of Interstate 55 and Rt 24.
RobS
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2020 10:34:08 AM

Steveo wrote:
OK fellas. I made my last trip up to the windmill farm in Indiana and obtained some more photos. Here is the updated link https://steveo.smugmug.com/History/Windmill-Crane-2020/ . Enjoy. This equipment is awesome to watch operating to say the least.

Impressive site and great photos!

Rob
SDBOB
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2020 11:19:08 AM

Thanks for the pics. Impressive crane. I often too wondered cost. I was following on net the Liebheer that was walking fully rigged to another windmill site and rolled over. Ground was soft. The elderly man filmed the recovery on his sons farm.
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2020 1:28:47 PM

Thanks for posting Steveo, those are great pictures! Applause