DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI Tractor Options · View
Gregg
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2022 7:33:19 PM
Groups: Member

I have not purchased a 1/50th scale tractor in 15 years. I needed one for an upcoming project and found a WSI Kenworth tractor. I was quite impressed with the detail on it and the amount of metal vs plastic. My disappointment was that with all the extra attention to parts on the truck, the fenders were plastic! I know, it keeps cost down but for what it cost, I would have expected metal. Just my 2 cents.
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2022 9:09:57 PM

I really didn't know about the fenders. But the wheels are plastic too. Those on the TWH are metal. Now let's see if that "Tinhorn" KCM chimes in about how great WSI is. Stick with me pal. I'll never steer you wrong! CAW
Barkerjoh
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2022 9:09:59 PM

Which KW are you talking about?
Gregg
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2022 11:13:33 PM

Quinella wrote:
I really didn't know about the fenders. But the wheels are plastic too. Those on the TWH are metal. Now let's see if that "Tinhorn" KCM chimes in about how great WSI is. Stick with me pal. I'll never steer you wrong! CAW
But correct me if I am wrong, we can no longer purchase TWH models, correct?
Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 12:05:37 AM

Well Gregg, you can still buy them on Ebay when they come up.. Or check with dealers like Chuck. CAW
Gregg
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 12:54:50 AM

Quinella wrote:
Well Gregg, you can still buy them on Ebay when they come up.. Or check with dealers like Chuck. CAW
Well . thank you young man. I did not know that!
Gregg
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 12:55:55 AM

Barkerjoh wrote:
Which KW are you talking about?
A WSI Kenworth T800 8x4 Day cab.
3406E
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 1:41:55 AM

The chrome work on the WSI versions appears to be a little brighter and more polished than their predecessors by TWH, especially when comparing the Pete 379s. You won't even notice that the wheels on the T800W are plastic and the fenders are plastic on both WSI and TWH versions. You won't be disappointed with these truck models.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Gregg
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 1:57:27 AM

3406E wrote:
The chrome work on the WSI versions appears to be a little brighter and more polished than their predecessors by TWH, especially when comparing the Pete 379s. You won't even notice that the wheels on the T800W are plastic and the fenders are plastic on both WSI and TWH versions. You won't be disappointed with these truck models.
Thank you for your reply.
Claus
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 8:14:06 AM

I actually prefer the WSI Trucks over the originals (and I own both), as mentioned the chrome is brighter on the WSI trucks. Yes, the wheels are plastic but again much brighter than the TWH or Sword. The Red and Blue on the WSI Peterbilt 379s is very vibrant, the TWH colors are nice but not as bright. But, as far as I know, the WSI never offered the Peterbillt 378s in Black, definitely should have done that. The rear fenders on the Peterbilt 379s are metal, no matter TWH, Sword or WSI.
kcmtoys
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 4:16:56 PM

I will throw my 2 cents in here Caw (tinhorn Aaa). In real life, the fenders are now going to fiberglass/plastic composite. They are right on the money. On models, I have also seen them painted a chrome or aluminum color. As stated above, the plastic wheels are crisper and a lot shinier. I myself preferer aluminum and steel diamond plate. Whistle

Catom winner by Ken Wheeler, on Flickr"/>
Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 10:08:38 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
I will throw my 2 cents in here Caw (tinhorn Aaa). In real life, the fenders are now going to fiberglass/plastic composite. They are right on the money. On models, I have also seen them painted a chrome or aluminum color. As stated above, the plastic wheels are crisper and a lot shinier. I myself preferer aluminum and steel diamond plate. Whistle

Gregg: These are work trucks not show trucks. I like the TWH wheels for that. Besides that KCM fella drove an ice cream truck in his neighborhood. That truck had shiny wheels I'd bet! Q the Truck Guy in NC.
Claus
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2022 5:53:22 AM

Does anybody know if WSI is going to do another run of the trucks and lowboys or dump trailers? I would welcome more.
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2022 6:49:04 PM

Quinella wrote:
kcmtoys wrote:

Gregg: These are work trucks not show trucks. I like the TWH wheels for that. Besides that KCM fella drove an ice cream truck in his neighborhood. That truck had shiny wheels I'd bet! Q the Truck Guy in NC.

For your info CAW, I started on a B Model Mack with Dayton's all the way around, Man, I am almost as old as you!.Teeth Teeth Teeth
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2022 6:15:36 PM

Claus wrote:
Does anybody know if WSI is going to do another run of the trucks and lowboys or dump trailers? I would welcome more.

Who knows, I wish they would start reproducing the Pete 335 mechanic trucks again. Maybe some new color variations, trailer setups...etc. Seems like they're kind of like First Gear and won't listen to their collectors on what they want!
GC1
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2022 10:27:36 PM

No KCM...you cannot go to Quinellas house and run a D9 over it......LOL
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2022 1:28:44 PM

GC1 wrote:
No KCM...you cannot go to Quinellas house and run a D9 over it......LOL

He probably lives in Fort Knox guarding all his money!
CAT631K
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2022 5:49:05 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Claus wrote:

Who knows, I wish they would start reproducing the Pete 335 mechanic trucks again. Maybe some new color variations, trailer setups...etc. Seems like they're kind of like First Gear and won't listen to their collectors on what they want!

How about a blue mechanics truck for yours truly? Anxious
Brad
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2022 11:00:12 AM

Interesting to note from original post…That style of fender on the real truck is almost exclusively plastic…But put me in the camp of not liking the plated plastic wheels
Claus
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2022 12:35:07 PM

I really like the air hoses on the early trucks, made of stiffer springs, but I don’t like the narrow rear axles.