DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Conrad LTR 1220 Crawler crane . Options · View
sd90
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2022 5:08:45 AM

Groups: Member

Hi! All

Just recived a conrad LTR 1220 Crawler crane , havent bought a crane for some time.
Not to impressed with this one I have never had problems with conrad models ,this
one must have been made on a Friday afternoon.
On erecting the crane, seems ok taking from the box fitting tracks onto frame the
Lugs came of from one side repaired by super glue .
Started to reeve crane main mast dropped tried to teighten the ram with nice spanner
that came with model would not teighten .
The ram is made from plastic the thread is crap
I cannot understand why having made a great model on the boom tracks they put a
plastic ram that does not work on the model
I fixed for now by drilling and pinning but in fixed mode.
I will make a brass ram with a nice fitting thread on.
I have been collecting for fifty years and I am able to fix and make models
This anyone's me if a new guy recived this I don't think it would be a good start
to a great hobby

Leon
modelmaniac
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2022 11:23:32 AM

I often,improve models.That are released,as a base model,to coincide with a launch,of a new vehicle,or a newer upgrade,to an existing vehicle.Lots of models are not 100%.Thankfully,both of us,know fairly simple modifications,that greatly enhance,either the functions,or just the look.I am happy to take a Dremel,or a drill,to a new machine,or add somethings.I fully agree,as a starter model that particular crane is,undoubtedly,not a good start.You cannot expect a new collector,to change anything.I now expect,to 'adjust' new models,and will happily convert any european vehicle to what I see,on the road,here in the U.K.Loads of aftermarket enhancements,are available,for a miriad of models,old/new/any scale.You cannot blame model manufacturers,to cut costs wherever they can,this will include speeding up the process by,using cheaper materials,and/or,completely bypassing production processes,getting to sales,far quicker.For example,the whole 'dropside' function,on all truck models,only exists on a few trucks.
Cat345bl
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2022 8:07:27 PM

I have a similar issue with a Conrad Liebherr LRT 1100-2.1 rough terrain crane I own. On mine crane the screw crap and the cylinder jacket threads are not stripped but it cannot tighten enough to keep the boom upright, and I have the earlier version that does not have a divot on the screw cap to work with the spanner. It is a shame too as it nice looking and detailed model. I curious to see if all Conrad cranes that have this screw cap lift cylinder design (Grove GRT 8100, Terex RT100, Liebherr LTM 1110-5.1, Grove GMK 41000L) have this these issues too?

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24