DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Tonkin first model Cat 994H Options · View
Gavin84w
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:03:43 AM

Groups: Member

ITmachine wrote:
leo-cat wrote:

I am really curious to see how the tires will look. IMO good tires are one of the key factors to make a model look good.

I agree, but I can already hear the cries of "Stupid Lego Tires! This model is ruined!" despite that they are actually on the machine.

Funny if anyone actually knows 994,s very well (and there are a few members here that do) the tyres shown on the actual machine in this pic are the most fit for purpose loader looking tyres i have ever seen on a 994, it looks right as hell in the pic let me tell you. As long as the tyre look something like that it will be fine.
RowanH
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:33:38 PM

Hopefully Luc will be able to confirm or deny if the Tonkin 994H will be us the Norscot tooling or if it will be a completely new build?

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

mitchtim
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:57:59 PM

Gavin,

I hope so but I think that someone has pimped that picture because the real tyres are those pictured below on the machine at Minexpo 2012. (PS. sorry to spoil it for you!)

Mitchtim
Gavin84w
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 2:20:14 AM

mitchtim wrote:
Gavin,

I hope so but I think that someone has pimped that picture because the real tyres are those pictured below on the machine at Minexpo 2012. (PS. sorry to spoil it for you!)

Mitchtim

I was thinking the exact same thing Tim, just didn,t want to say it!!!

I think there was another option in the spec sheet that was a new size for the H model so possibly not as far feched as we think (or hope)
heavyload
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 3:41:07 AM

Hi Guys... First I want to let you know that it's not because I'm French Canadian if the press release has some mistypes... It just because I'm a little bit dumb with computer... I "just" select my draft instead of sending the good file!!!d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! I was pretty sure that I had erased the old one. Now that it's done, not much to do except telling you that I'm very sorry. First lesson... never trust computers and triple check...

But some of you make me laugh: I do wrote the Press Release but wait... we have good engineers to build our models, so you can sleep tight! I don't think that our models will suffered from my computer bad experience!

You may or not like the fact that we build the 994H. RowanH just add on us, a lot of pressure with his post. But I agree with you... it will be a good test.

One last thing... The 994H is more than a revamp model for us because we build our own mould. It will be a 100% Tonkin Replicas model!

We have one more announcement to make this week and trust me you will LOVE the press release. Wink

As for the models???? I hope that you will like them, but some may have again some difficulties to understand us... I will try to explain if it's the case

Thanks for your interest guys... we really appreciate! Don't worry... no hard feeling guys, just talking of our passion here!!!

Luc with the Tonkin Replicas team

Luc.
a Cutter
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 4:00:22 AM

Thanks for the reply.
It's encouraging to know you/Tonkin will be making your own molds.
And sorry when I say this, but damn I'm glad you aren't making these in 1/53rd scale! Smile

Really I'd like to see a 797.....yes a 797 that's not upwards of $400.00 USD when originally was just over $200.00
Also would like to see a small range of a much improved CT660.

Regards
RowanH
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 5:00:09 AM

Thanks once again for the update Luc, I'm really looking forward to this and I'm glad you keep posting here to keep us upto date. Excellent news that you will be doing all original tooling. At this stage, are you able to confirm which tires will be on the model? The lego style ones as posted by ITmachine, or the regular slated ones as posted by mitchtim like on the Norscot model? Thanks in advance.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Brian C
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 11:00:51 AM

I would not be concerned about the fact the "Lego" type tyres shown on the corporate/marketing 994H image could be used on the Tonkin model. In fact, I would actually prefer a different tyre tread pattern to be used{eg.Bridgestone 55/80-57 VDSL L-5 D-LUG} instead of the more common and widely used type which is shown on the unit at Minexpo. The standard tyre for the WA1200-6 is actually a 60/80-57 which I am sure could also be used on a 994H,although the specalog lists the 58/85-57 84PR as the largest recommended.Can you confirm this Gavin?

On the 1:50 side,the Norscot 994F and TWH L-1850 loaders had the non D-LUG tread pattern which was basically standard for most 994 and LTI loaders at the time.Now there are so many tyre manufacturers{most in China} that produce ultra large truck{63"} and loader{57"} tyres that allows a varied choice for the machine owner.

This is another manufacturer that also make this "Lego" D-LUG tyre in all[or most} sizes that can be fitted to the 994H.
http://img.trade.cn/uploaded/2012-11/413821441DFA35-E6CB-1270-107B-2C737399DDC3.jpg

heavyload
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 11:23:32 AM

Oh the tires!!!! I can't tell you much... Like Brian C wrote, there is a new groups of tires manufacturers who start building for Heavy equipment. If you buy a Cat machine you have options to choose and the tires are one of them. So there is not just one good tire style. Now I will have to wait and see which one will be wanted when we will present our prototype... Until then no secrets will be revealShame on you

See you!!!

PS for a Cutter... I received tons of emails about the scale Teeth don't worry...

Luc.
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 11:17:14 PM

Heavyload, it's awesome that you get to work for Tonkin for the new Caterpillar models! Also great to hear the first one will be in the mining equipment range! It will be interesting to see how it compares with the previous Norscot loader. Perhaps a shovel could be next Wink I think a 6120B H FS needs a model to help introduce it to the world! Or maybe a 793F AC Pray

-Alex
charly
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:07:22 AM

Luc, dont worry about the Tires. Please put chains on them and all are happy. set a memorial with the first (except the 1:87 Kibri WA800) mining model on market with tire protection chains! Put this on all 4 wheels and the "Lego" ones are hided hehe
On the picture from ITmachine we dont see a real machine, this is a CAD. But tires like this ones pictured are in service in many applications...nice or not nice...they are real. Tires like the ones on the 993K model are not real, they makes me crying... so you see the range there is to hit, means not only the profile of the tires is the most important thing. the tires must having genuine character like the old ones on the NZG 793C or the 797. A bit soft and not so surreal gloss-shiny like the Norscots. Then you won.
For your first CAT model i wish you good luck, i am excited on this like many others.

Kari

EVERYTHING BEGINS WITH MINING
digggerr
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:07:46 PM

The press release stated "The other models planned for 2013 will be announced prior the the Nuremberg Toy Fair as the 1"87 scale project".

Where is the announcement?
heavyload
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:17:24 PM

The show start at 9am in Germany.... so that's mean 3am Eastern time... Still some time!!!!! Don't worry We will anounce 3 models and the last 2 during Bauma 2013

Thanks and have a nice Nuremberg show

Luc.
Cat22Fan
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:26:50 PM

Hey Luc, appreciate you checking back with us on the forum. So will your other three models be announced the first day of the show tomorrow or threw out the coarse of the Toy Fair? Just wondering, the suspense is about to get to me.. LOL!!!!
Gd10r
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:14:55 AM

Luc, looking forward to the announcement, we could play 20 questions??
Does it ride on tracks?Whistle

Still Plays with Toys
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:49:08 AM

does it weigh 49 tons?

does it dig holes?

does it do demo work?

does it have two joysticks?

how am I doing here? hot, cold, warm, luke warm....
D5G
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:59:37 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
does it weigh 49 tons?

More like does it weigh somewhere between 52-58 tons

Does it have the numbers 3,4, or 9 in it in a particular order?

Does it have an E or an L in it?

Or perhaps, could it have the numbers 3,9, or 0 in it?

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread
diesel michael
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:34:01 AM

Im pretty excited, I have a bit of a soft spot for the 994H

When could we expect to see a prototype picture??

"DO IT IN THE DIRT"
Daniel65
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:42:10 AM

Three more loaders: Caterpillar 950K, 966K and 972K.
Press release here: http://www.facebook.com/baggermodelle

Daniel

www.lasterundbagger.net
D5G
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:27:07 AM

Again certainly not what we would have expected.....it's real shame if all they are going to do is loaders this year... Very disappointing. I would have expected a 950K from Norscot since they did the 950H.

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread