DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Black & White . Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 5:57:47 AM
Groups: Member

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

gohkleng
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 6:12:17 AM

Very nice photos!! Thks
Patgxo
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 7:18:37 AM

Thanks for the sharing , very interesting photos
JoeE
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 8:01:29 AM

That McHugh bros six axle chassis was for an American. I believe the rumor is, and this is from one of the decendents, it was the first one in the country built. It was famous and in alot of photos.
Never saw that chassis pic before though so thanks.
Here it is about 10 years ago on our jbsite at Roebling Steel clamming out a pit.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 12:00:33 PM

Gents,

Two other pictures of the Mc Hugh Bros American crane, identified by JoeE:

Pics found on: http://sbiii.com/roadmchu.html This site displays a lot of vintage Mc Hugh heavy haulage and cranes stuff!

Regards.
Guy
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 12:22:20 PM

Thanks for posting, these are great!Applause Ken
Basketball Man
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 10:10:47 PM

Oooo...I like this thread. I have been staring at the one machine and can't even get a direction on its purpose.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
DC Craneman
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:23:43 PM

The Mc Hugh carrier was built by Hendrickson Mfg. The first was a special item built to Mc Hugh's requirements and was tested to I believe 110 tons and carried an American crawler upper works. This is from my memory of a conversation with Mr. Jimmy Mc Hugh. This is the first truck crane carrier to successfully utilize three steering axles. It is also the first crane to utilize T1 steel in its frame. The testing was stopped at that point as the Mc Hugh's and not American or Hendrickson owned the carrier. The McHugh design was used by American after further testing under many American 9500 and 9400 truck cranes other than the 9490 (Pierce Pacific) that had the cab over the axles and along side the engine compartment. These included the 175 ton, 200 ton and 220 ton variants. The design was capable of handling cranes through 250 tons per my conversations with Hendrickson's Mobile Equipment Division so it may be possible that a 250 ton variant was built.

The Bucks County Construction name began with the Mc Hugh brother's father. Please see the referenced Berliner web site. Bucks County held certain ICC rights and Pennsylvania Department of Transportation authorities prior to the deregulation of the American trucking industry.

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 4:29:02 AM

gohkleng wrote:
Very nice photos!! Thks

Glad you enjoyed them.

Patgxo wrote:
Thanks for the sharing , very interesting photos

Glad you liked them.

JoeE wrote,

That McHugh bros six axle chassis was for an American. I believe the rumor is, and this is from one of the decendents, it was the first one in the country built. It was famous and in alot of photos.
Never saw that chassis pic before though so thanks.
Here it is about 10 years ago on our jbsite at Roebling Steel clamming out a pit.

Fascinating story Joe ! It's neat that this particular carrier is still at work. Thank you for sharing. On a side note. Those poor shovelmen in the bottom of the hole. Reminds me of first starting out with a shovel in a putrid stinking hellhole much like that one. I imagine the smell was worse at the bottom than the top. Been there done that...

GuyM wrote:
Gents,

Two other pictures of the Mc Hugh Bros American crane, identified by JoeE:

Pics found on: http://sbiii.com/roadmchu.html This site displays a lot of vintage Mc Hugh heavy haulage and cranes stuff!

Regards.
Guy

Yes, Mr Berliners site is fantastic ! Thank you for sharing Guy.

kcmtoys wrote:
Thanks for posting, these are great!Applause Ken

Glad you like them Ken.

Basketball Man wrote:
Oooo...I like this thread. I have been staring at the one machine and can't even get a direction on its purpose.

Yeah, that one's got us both puzzled. Dunno what it was ????

DC Craneman wrote:
The Mc Hugh carrier was built by Hendrickson Mfg. The first was a special item built to Mc Hugh's requirements and was tested to I believe 110 tons and carried an American crawler upper works. This is from my memory of a conversation with Mr. Jimmy Mc Hugh. This is the first truck crane carrier to successfully utilize three steering axles. It is also the first crane to utilize T1 steel in its frame. The testing was stopped at that point as the Mc Hugh's and not American or Hendrickson owned the carrier. The McHugh design was used by American after further testing under many American 9500 and 9400 truck cranes other than the 9490 (Pierce Pacific) that had the cab over the axles and along side the engine compartment. These included the 175 ton, 200 ton and 220 ton variants. The design was capable of handling cranes through 250 tons per my conversations with Hendrickson's Mobile Equipment Division so it may be possible that a 250 ton variant was built.

The Bucks County Construction name began with the Mc Hugh brother's father. Please see the referenced Berliner web site. Bucks County held certain ICC rights and Pennsylvania Department of Transportation authorities prior to the deregulation of the American trucking industry.

Thank you DC-Craneman .This kind of info and knowledge is why I keep coming back to DHS forum. Thank you.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

njtinman
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 9:32:33 PM

By odd coincidence I saw one of McHugh's rigs headed north/westbound on the NY Thruway this afternoon near the Sloatsburg rest area. Would not have noticed it were not for this post. I was southbound - no photo op.
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:59:17 AM

njtinman wrote:
By odd coincidence I saw one of McHugh's rigs headed north/westbound on the NY Thruway this afternoon near the Sloatsburg rest area. Would not have noticed it were not for this post. I was southbound - no photo op.

That was probably the one brother that is still using the name and color scheme. He is into railroad salvage or something of that nature. I know he he had a Freightliner conventional a few years back.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
RMS Models
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:09:55 AM

Joe,

Still has it ! The McHugh Freightliner and lowboy with a railroad engine were on display at the recently held American Truck Historical Society National Convention held at the York Fairgrounds in York, PA.

SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:23:03 AM

Thanks again for pics enjoyed all of them. I'm partial to Manitowoc.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:37:06 PM

Anyone have a remote idea as to what the 10 photo is ?

-Unknown

a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:57:58 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

Anyone have a remote idea as to what the 10 photo is ?

Well it seems likely that it was a special purpose built machine.
Looks to me that it's working in sand or perhaps salt. There looks to be a hitch and a winch. I was thinking maybe a shore line tug but maybe it hauls a cable operated bottom dump.
Interesting machine regardless.
Weserhutte
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:21:12 PM

I think there can be no question that this is an R.G. LeTourneau creation with the electrically actuated rack and pinion articulated steering! It looks nearly identical to one of their smaller log handlers from way back with no suspension on the one axle (basic design still being used to this day), but the cab is reversed. I would think it is a tow tractor with the ability to power an electric powered attachment considering the spool mounted on the 'rear'.

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
No earthly idea what this was ?

GC1
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:43:56 PM

Great thread...the Hendrickson Crane Carrier is 1964 as shown in Encyclopaedia of Trucks and Buses, page 178.

The Terex Titan is another one that gets my attention..350 ton, Titan 33-19, 3300bhp locomotive engine operated at or near a grossed up weight in excess of 600 tons. (Encyclopedia of Trucks and Buses.) What a beast.
max
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:51:34 PM

Those are fascinating pictures, Thanks for sharing HD41!!
Sometimes, i Wonder how Mr. Letourneau manage to stay in business, with so many odd machines and prototypes......
Regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:42:29 AM

Weserhutte wrote:
I think there can be no question that this is an R.G. LeTourneau creation with the electrically actuated rack and pinion articulated steering! It looks nearly identical to one of their smaller log handlers from way back with no suspension on the one axle (basic design still being used to this day), but the cab is reversed. I would think it is a tow tractor with the ability to power an electric powered attachment considering the spool mounted on the 'rear'.

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

Weserhutte is right: as per "R.G. LeTourneau Heavy Equipment - The electric drive era 1953-1970" (E. C Orlemann) page 142, the strange equipment is a Model C-2x4 Series "D" Impactor Utility Tractor, built as a one-off by LeTourneau for the Petty Geophysical Company of San Antonio (Texas) in 1964. It featured 2 electrically driven wheels at the front, 2 non-powered wheels at the rear and was powered by a 4-71 Detroit Diesel engine running an electric generator. It was sent to California in March 1964.

Regards.
Guy
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:01:03 AM

Weserhutte wrote:

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

Thank you Weserhutte ! An odd purpose built machine. I admire Letourneau's K.I.S.S designs.

GuyM wrote:
Weserhutte wrote:

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:

Weserhutte is right: as per "R.G. LeTourneau Heavy Equipment - The electric drive era 1953-1970" (E. C Orlemann) page 142, the strange equipment is a Model C-2x4 Series "D" Impactor Utility Tractor, built as a one-off by LeTourneau for the Petty Geophysical Company of San Antonio (Texas) in 1964. It featured 2 electrically driven wheels at the front, 2 non-powered wheels at the rear and was powered by a 4-71 Detroit Diesel engine running an electric generator. It was sent to California in March 1964.

Regards.
Guy

Thank you Guy !

-Unknown