DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Material handling diorama - [1:50] - *UPDATED 31-07-2012* Options · View
Antho
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:20:24 PM

Groups: Member

I just can't wait to see the scrap in that diorama, it's aleready cool with the Liebherr's and the truck so... Keep this one and fill it! lol
Remko
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:21:25 PM

I've made some modifications on the diorama, and am now close to the final configuration. The construction has been made smaller, with deeper but narrower storageplaces. Each now measures 21 x 40 cm (10,5 x 20 meters in real life). This might be a bit too narrow, so I'll try to make them wider. But the storage places have been built around Auhagen street-plates (1/87th scale), and each contain 4 plates. I'm thinking about making another wall around it, with perhaps room for a crusher and extra containers.

Three storage places, with my A 316 and a roll-off container in the middle one A 316.

Detail photo of the plates...

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:32:08 PM

Jazzdrummer27 wrote:
Find a small engineering business, ask them if they have any swarf (the scrap bits which come off a lathe or drill), leave it outside to rust and (wearing gloves so you don't cut yourself as it will be quite sharp) add it to the dio.

Tim

This is what I use for shredded scrap too, only I'm too impatient to wait for the weather to rust the metal, winters in Michigan taught me one thing: Salt spread on the roads to melt the ice rusts metal, FAST, so with that concept in mind, mixed up some salt water in a spraw bottle, and hit the metal scrap with it...much faster than waiting for nature!

If you can get your hands on Aluminum turnings as well, it makes for some more diverse looking material.

For scale rebar, I use those annoying twist ties that come with all the Norscot and Motorart models, painted rusty brown,

For prepared steel scrap, virtually anything that can be cut into 12mm x 30mm and painted rusty can look accurate. I've been saving almost everything I come aross for just that purpose for my upcoming demo diorama, from plastic silverware to spray paint lids, once it's cut, (just like on a real demo job) it's hard to tell weather it was a beam or an old roll off box that was cut up

Long I-beams you can buy Plastruct ones, but that runs up a bill very quickly, Plastic sheet can be cut and glued together in an "I" shape to form many beams very cheap, for that matter any narrow flat material can be glued into the shape, Popsicle sticks, old credit cards, etc.

Non-ferrous material is easily replicated if you have old computer parts or electronics laying around, there is always a ton of fine wire and other similar parts. the best (which not everyone has access to, but I come across constantly) is communication wire, anywhere from 20-50 tiny color coded wires in a single cable, a 1 meter strand can stock your whole site, plus in demo, Communication wire has no real value since there is so much plastic and so little copper, so the company doesn't mind if I take a bit home with me.

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
Remko
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:36:22 PM

Three years later...

I picked up a large board last wednesday, for a new attempt at a diorama. It's based around the three Material Handling models in 'OBM' livery, de Liebherr L586 2+2 wheelloader, Liebherr A 954C High-Rise, and Sennebogen 835M D-series.

The sorting depots need some changing. They are to big now. Especially since I plan to add another Liebherr 954C and Sennebogen 835M to the layout. The Liebherr will be modified int a tracked variant to resemble this Sennebogen 850 R from de Vries en van der Wiel, complete with lorry on a track.

The Sennebogen will be modeled after the Sennebogen 835M with Genesis scrapshear from Shulman. I just love the longboom with heavy shear setup!!

First photo's. Suggestions are welcome of course!

General layout.

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:38:02 PM

Liebherr loading the truck.

Close-up of the truck. A truck-scale will be built underneath the silo.

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:39:21 PM

The sorting depots is the home of the Keestrack screener and the Liebherr L586 loader. The Keestrack has an extra conveyor to stack material.

Remko

Remko
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 7:42:33 PM

I've also got a indea for a large sorting hall. It's just a Curver storage box turned upside down. A little paint, a little detailing (plastruct or evergreen perhaps), and it's a perfect setup for the Liebherr A 904 C material handler and Sennebogen 305 loader.

Needs a little cleaning as well...

Remko

Remko
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:33:35 PM

Update to the diorama with better pics (I had my camera settings wrong the other day...).

Comments / suggestions?

Remko

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:51:53 PM

Remko,

Those Liebherrs are sweet ! The only thing I can think of that would top the cake is possibly two haul trucks for scrap handling. Something like this. This photo was borrowed from the Sennebogen web-site,is not mine.

">http://

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Remko
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:45:17 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Remko,

Those Liebherrs are sweet ! The only thing I can think of that would top the cake is possibly two haul trucks for scrap handling. Something like this. This photo was borrowed from the Sennebogen web-site,is not mine.

I'd love to have a set-up like that, including two large haultrucks. I think that's a 100 ton komatsu? So either the NZG Terex TR 60 or perhaps Komatsu HD605 would look nice. The Sennebogen is an 880 R. Biggest Green-Line variant available. Although I prefer the 880 M myself. But that's not for this diorama. Perhaps a smaller second one. I have a R 984 C Righ-Rise planned, and am already sorting out the components. Biggest problem is the boom though...

Anyway, I'll get another 835 in OBM livery, to convert it to this, although mine will keep the long main boom (picture from the Sennebogen website as well). Anyone has a clue about the type of Labounty shear?

Remko

Eric Pioszak
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:37:55 PM

Remko wrote:

Anyway, I'll get another 835 in OBM livery, to convert it to this, although mine will keep the long main boom (picture from the Sennebogen website as well). Anyone has a clue about the type of Labounty shear?

With a short boom like that on an 850, The one in the picture looks like a msd4500R. On an 835 with a long boom, according to the lift capacities from sennebogens site you'll probably want a msd 2500R

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:23:14 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Remko,

Philippi-Hagenbuch Makes that dump body, along with many other interesting products.
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:24:05 AM

Remko,

A few scrap haulers would look great ,about the size you came up with. Couldn't you build the boom ? Shouldn't be that hard,especially with your building talents. Sheet styrene would do the trick. I look forward to you interesting diorama.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:24:57 AM

Carl,

Thank you, couldn't remember the body maker. That's the one.

-Unknown

Juddy
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:09:37 AM

CarlBrutanananadilewski wrote:
FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Remko,

Philippi-Hagenbuch Makes that dump body, along with many other interesting products.

whats the umbilical for??
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:47:35 AM

Juddy wrote:
CarlBrutanananadilewski wrote:
FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Remko,

whats the umbilical for??

Might be fully electric,best guess.

-Unknown

Remko
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:48:08 PM

Guys, just a small remark. When quoting anorger post, try to keep to the text only part. When such a big picture is included it might take long for the page to load. Thanks!

You are correct though, the Sennebogen 880 is fully electric. It's located in Charleston btw. So if any members live in the area, I'd love some more photo's!! Here's a press release about the machine: SENNEBOGEN ACCELERATES TURNAROUND, REDUCES COSTS IN CHARLESTON PORT WITH SUPERSIZED ELECTRIC DRIVE SCRAP HANDLER. Operating weight is 370,000 lbs (170 metric tonnes). The trucks are indeed in the 100 ton class, so they are likely Komatsu HD 785's.

The boom is beyond my capabilities at the moment, but who knows.

Anyway, such scraphaulers could be cool, and I think I have an idea how to include them as well. The site about Phil's systems is very interesting as well!!

As shown on the previous page I have quite a large handler in my collection, the Cat 5110B. I also have a cablift leftover, so the loader is pretty much done. As for the haul trucks, anybody know the type of Komatsu used in the picture? I already have one Joal HD 605 and know a place to get another couple of these very cheap (only €20 euro's).

Remko

Remko
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:22:12 PM

Small update to the diorama. I've been working on a revised plan. It has increased in size from 125 x 62 cm to 150 x 80 cm (meaning 75 meters by 40 meters in real life). Ideally I'd like it to be 200 x 100 (or even 150 cm) but I just don't have the room for it. Literally... My hobby room is only 400 x 200 cm, and will also house my collection plus my construction related books.

As the diorama is based around my OBM models (although not even close to a real OBM location), I have moved the bunkers. The back is now located against the rail were the Liebherr R 954 C and it's lorry are positioned. It's based on this location in Holland.

So, I now have capacity for a double set of bunkers (eight total), each measuring around 20 cm's wide by 22 cm's deep. The space between the bunkers is only 12 cm's (or 6 meters / 20 ft) in real life. I think it will be large enough for the Liebherr L586 and/or Sennebogen 835 to move around in.

Here's the basic design I made in Paint. Scale is 1 pixel equals 10 cm's in real life.

Translation: Trechter => Hopper and Weegbrug => Truck scale.

The location of both the Hopper and the truck scale has not been determined however. I'd like to know the most efficient location to place both of them.

Alternatively, the bunkers on the far side from the track (Liebherr R 954C + lorry) could be made a single large bunker for say large roll of containers, with the Sennebogen 835 next to them loading scrapmetal or something. It could also house the Keestrack screener (which I'd really to have repainted in OBM livery), and/or my Superior Telestacker.

Suggestions and comments are always welcome!

Remko