DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

T B M's Options · View
sewer rat
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 9:37:04 PM
Groups: Member

just wodering if any one has seen a model for a tunnel boring machine ? 1/50th scale from either robbins or lovat
Trackman
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 10:22:17 PM

Not sure which scale this was dome in buit sure looked a nice model.
RMS Models
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 2:21:42 AM

Trackman,

It was advertised as 1:50 scale. It was marketed by CMM and is the only tunnel boring machine in model form I have ever seen.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
rsmole@pica.army.mil
rawima
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 6:46:32 AM

CMM-Schwerlast in Germany and not CCM still makes and sells this 1:50 model. It costs 499.- ? (EURO) and it`s hand made out of brass and white metal and good detailed.

Rainer W. Markgraf, private collector

Regards Rainer W. Markgraf - private collector
RMS Models
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 1:26:27 PM

rawima,

You are correct, typing error, new it was CMM.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
rsmole@pica.army.mil
Remko
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 3:29:08 PM

CMM is indeed correct. However, as far as I can tell the head is only 4 cm (1,57" )in diameter. I'm not sure about this though....

Remko

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
rawima
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 4:35:59 PM

That`s the model on one of my 1:50 UniCata lowboys with a customized 5 axle Daimler-Benz SK tractor in front. Don`t forget that smaller versions of these machines are used to build passable supply routes in big european towns. These kind of supported tunnel shield machines with segmental linings are much smaller as the one`s used for subway or railroad tunnels.

Remko
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 5:40:50 PM

Rainer, what's the size of the TBM model from CMM? Is the 4 cm diameter correct or is it larger? It looks larger compared to the truck you have displayed it on...

I have a question regarding these TBM's.
Many Sci-Fi movies and series (Thunderbirds for example) have vehicles capable of underground movement. But these are always equipped with a pointed drill. I'd like to know why these things are designed this way. I mean, I know they're just make believe, and I seriously doubt that we would ever have vehicles moving underground as easy as a plane flies through air. Still, it makes you wonder though...

Remko

Remko

EdIRL
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 6:27:58 PM

It makes people wonder why you are still on about sci-fi when you were told not to talk about it here :-< :-< :-< :-< :-<

Ed
Remko
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 7:00:33 PM

Very well, I will alter the question. Why do TBM's have a large and flat cutting head, and not like a normal drill a pointed head?
Ed, this is not about Sci-Fi. I was just wondering about this!! What's the advantage a flat head has over a pointed head.

Remko

Remko

prtstrdj
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 7:02:02 PM

Actually, here is what I wonder Ed:

Who has any right to tell Remko NOT to talk about Sci-Fi on here? Which one of us Owns this forum?

Unless someone from DHS has come on here and said "Remko, Don't talk about Sci-Fi" If so, I missed that post, and I appologize.

Otherwise, when you read something from someone that you don't like (judging by the red angry faces that you posted)... JUST DON'T POST. Why does everyone always have to start things by using those stupid red faces! I would think that the red angry face should be REMOVED!

God, Lighten up on the guy! If you don't like one of his posts or questions... DON'T ANSWER IT! If any of you have gone on the German Bauforum, you don't see so many people angry all the time. I don't read German well, so I am sure there are many disagreements. But the people on that forum share information and TOOOONS of photos! There are always interesting photos of equipment and models on there. It seems that they conduct themselves much more civilized on that forum than here. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I thaught that the general consensus a while back was that if you didn't like a post or thread, that we would all ignore it. If the guy wants to bable on and ramble about Sci-Fi movies... who cares??? WHO IS HE HURTING??? WHO WAS HURT IN THAT LAST POST FROM REMKO WHERE HE MENTIONS THE WORD "SCI-FI"???? HOW MANY OF YOU JUST CALLED 911 TO BE RUSHED TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM BECAUSE REMKO TYPED "SCI-FI"??? .... MICHAEL!!!!!!
Trackman
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 9:35:46 PM

Right on Pastrami...!!

I have got to admit I really like Remko and his posts. Sure he does go on a bit now and then but the boy has got an incredible imagination, something some others may lack. Remko certainly conducts himself in a responsible manner, is alway polite and in no way could be compared to some of the muppets we have seen on here.

And yes his question was valid to machines, models and earthmoving. Not everybody has had the opportunity to get close and personel with a TBM.

Remko, to help answer your question.
The face of the TBM may seem blunt to you but is in actual fact filled with many cutters - circular cutters or picks or a combination - depending on the ground conditions. By using this method it can tunnel itself in a controlled fashion using much less horsepower than a direct auger type drill. You also find a similar system but much smaller on the drill tips of blast hole rigs and even oil rigs.
Tunnel machines come in all sizes from small micro bore tunnellers right upto mega size ones as used for the Channel Tunnel project.

Time to be HAPPY Teeth Teeth Teeth and Smiley Smile Smile
mkdco
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 12:54:06 AM

Ya know not to stand on a soap box for I really Dislike controversy. But I am positive Most Military and Space and Heavy Equipment was a mere thought. And most would say AHHH you will never see something like that and woops there it was. I would like to know the answer to this question what came first Sci fi or the Real thing Look at some of the old movies WinkAni WinkAni
Just a thought
rlmc
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:09:46 AM

There is an interesting article about the developement of the tunnel boring machine in "Invention and Technology" magazine (vol. 20, no. 2). The first attempt was in 1845 and over the years about everything was tried and nothing really worked until James S. Robbins came up with this design in 1953. He was a graduate of the Michigan College of Mines and based his design on a technique used for cutting coal. The coal cutter had fingers attached on a rotating head. He took this concept and changed the fingers to wheels for the harder rock.
MATT
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 2:13:02 AM

I was told by the builder that the model is a 3 meter diameter TBM.
rawima
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 7:33:41 AM

Hello Remko,

i`ll measure the diameter this evening after work and tell you tomorrow. But I think 4cm is a pretty close guess.

Regards

TBM
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 7:44:57 PM

Hello

Here is a picture from a model in scale 1:100 from the Lötschberg-Basetunnel-TBM. The model was maked by myself in over 400 hours of work. I hope the picture will enjoy you.

tunneling forever
Excavator Guy
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 8:12:07 PM

Wow that is absolutly outstanding work!!! Can we see more pictures? Please?

jazzdrummer2
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 8:18:50 PM

That is an amazing model and I too would love to see it from a few more angles if possible.

Here is a model of one I photographed in Germany through a window. (In Bonn if I remember correctly)

<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/jazzdrummer/TBM.jpg" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">[/url]
Tim
Future_Texan
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 8:22:41 PM

Absolutely amazing TBM models guys!