DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Highpoint Garage; King Kong will be reborn UPDATED 2/16/2008 Options · View
Brian S
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:24:17 PM

Groups: Member

LatticeCraneMan wrote:
Actually the largest would be "The Terminator" a father and son built it on a six axel Oshkosh mixer chassis has a actual crane boom !It was featured on the TRUCKIN USA tv show on the TNN couldn't find any pictures of it but the mixer platform is on HANKS trucks site ! Awesome rig !

Cool drawing Brian and shop pics.

Regards
Chet

Chet,

Do you have the specs on that truck ? Or possible the name of the compnay that owns the truck or a state. If you give me a little info I can get all the info in a day or two. I dont doubt you; I never have but the number of axles really has no bearing on the weight and capacity of a wrecker. Nor does the fact that they used a crane boom. Rotating wreckers are considered to have crane booms. They are built to different specs that regular wrecker booms. There are a few twin steer wreckers out there both new and old that have less capacity than what our truck will be capable of. Kauffs in florida just put a twin steer T800 in service with a Century 1075 body In fact one of the engineers wanted to actually put a fourth axle on the truck but we elected not to so that we would not lose storage space. Another truck with a an actual crane boom is in service in Canada at Meyers Towing. That too was iin house built with a former grove boom and outriggers. The capacity i believe is in the 70 ton range. I have research to do and phone calls to make I will see with I can come up with about the truck you are referring too. I also have pictures of the canadian truck i will dig up.

Bri
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 6:56:28 PM

I see what I can dig up for you on it Brian another company in my towing book has actual recovery hyd. crane in its fleet !PENNDEL twin steer a 30ton we built the tailend longtime ago.

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
Brian S
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:22:58 PM

There are quite a few towing companies that have hyd cranes in their fleet. It is cheaper to aquire one of them opposed to building a new rotator. I for a heavily spec'ed rotator you are looking at over 500,000 dollars. I will not even tell you what ours is costing . It is astronomical and we are supplying the chassis and traded in the old back which B&B (Bill Bottom) built over engineered back in 1982. They are selling the back for 50,000 dollars
Brian S
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:25:40 PM

Reed and Hoppes has a twin steer oshkosh mechanical that is a beast. I have pictures of it moving a house that i will have to dig up as well as pictures of penndels autocar
Brian S
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:57:33 PM

update 2/16/2008: added slewing gear and base plate photos
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:56:40 PM

Logans I was told cost 1/2 million your all that custom work I wouldn't want the bill ! Here is info on the "The Terminator " ! Can't find any pics of it on the web hopefully you can run with this and get some !

Coleman's Towing and Recovery out of Troy Michigan
Son name Byron Coleman
Oskosh around 1970 mixer chassis
80 Ton fixed nonrotator
Spruce green with Orange and Gold Lettering
Twin Really Massive rear stabilizers or outriggers
N0 344 on door (mpscl 19269)
All throughout overengineered, no crane boom because not strong enough for towing application !
Winches only thing store bought
Twin 3 stage tele-lifting cyclinders

Regards
Chet

Christian
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 12:42:27 PM

LatticeCraneMan wrote:
Logans I was told cost 1/2 million your all that custom work I wouldn't want the bill ! Here is info on the "The Terminator " ! Can't find any pics of it on the web hopefully you can run with this and get some !

Coleman's Towing and Recovery out of Troy Michigan
Son name Byron Coleman
Oskosh around 1970 mixer chassis
80 Ton fixed nonrotator

thats still half of what the norvegian MAN can take, thats a 160 ton unit...

i have to this day even to see another unit with over 100 tons...

but: pics of "the Terminator" would be more than welcome!

Brian S
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:00:59 PM

Christian,

Can you tell me who the manufacturer is that actually built the body that is mounted on the MAN. What is the name of the company ? I am having some problems doing the translation.

Chet,

I did not forget about you. I did get a little bit busy though. Do you happen to use aim or yahoo? If so what is your sn ?
Christian
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 8:04:03 PM

the article comes out of a swedish magazine, however i don´t read swedish. browsing through it i was able to understand the truck is an ex-tipper unit coming from the Netherlands and received its custombuilt rear made to the specs of the user by a company called Furnes Bil located in Harna, wherever that is.

sorry, no more info understandable for me

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 10:07:40 PM

No Brian no problem I don't have one, just post here any info.
Christian didn't realize that MAN was a 160 ton but Terminator just looked more of a Beast to me axel wise !

Chet

Brian S
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 10:54:21 PM

LatticeCraneMan wrote:
No Brian no problem I don't have one, just post here any info.
Christian didn't realize that MAN was a 160 ton but Terminator just looked more of a Beast to me axel wise !

Chet

That is why I am working on the translation and would like to research it. I dont doubt what anyone says but just looking at that wrecker itself it doesnt seem to be a 160 ton wrecker especially with it having an integrated boom and underreach opposed to an independent setup