Anyone know any tech spec on this baby?

//Niklas Eriksson

franz
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:11:33 PM
Groups: Member

Hi!

Also first 996(570tons) goes to Thiess . 996 Nr.:1 is still in use more
than 68000 hours.
Thiess operates around 21(or more) 996 units.
9800 data -rumors:
3000Kw
around 42m3
760 Tons

regards

Franz

Any news T282b or Ti 274 ?
JustinE
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:30:24 PM

This thing is a monster guys! I can't wait to see it working! Here's a few pics fo a Cutter:

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
Heavy_Equipment_Obsessed
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:27:47 PM

What kind of material would one mine with this behemoth?Think

JustinE wrote:
This thing is a monster guys! I can't wait to see it working! Here's a few pics fo a Cutter:

Just seeing that picture makes want to ask: where's the quick coupler? Whistle Whatever

School: Civil Engineering Student
Work: The Judy Company, Inc.
Gavin84w
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:29:53 PM

I think Liebherr took there own route with putting cab on the right for the 996 just to be different back when it was released, with gear this big it does not really matter. The one thing a lot of Aussie contractors do is load in a manner called through the gate where by the truck lines up his side with where the track rolls around the front idler and backs in on a 45 degree angle. The idea is to minimise exchange time from 1 truck to the next as he can back straight in while the ex takes another bite from the keycut area.The advantages with a left sided cab then become apparent as there is a line of sight from truck cab to digger cab and it only requires the digger to swing about 50 degrees to put rock in the back of the truck, the disadvantage is pos 3 tyre on the truck gets killed pretty quick as it is always close to the toe and spillage. All the big Aussie contractors work this way if conditions allow and they have become masters at it.Thiess,s biggest trucks (EH4500) are at Mt Owen mine currently being loaded by 33m 996 so if you are going that much bigger you would want to marry it up to the biggest target to get the most advantage from it, we will see where it ends up.

HEO, no real mining is done with something this big, it is there to hog the overburden out of the way to get to the coal etc
Jim15
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 12:36:30 AM

clfred wrote:
Dan,
That looks like the grease fitting manifold to grease the bucket and stick pins(pretty good idea as long as it doesn't get damaged).

I would guess on a machine this big it would have one of those cental lubrication units or automatic greasers, unless that's what you are talking about. Tha would be a hell of a machine to have to grease everyday,

Jim

Dirtman2007
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 12:46:09 AM

Jim15 wrote:

I would guess on a machine this big it would have one of those cental lubrication units or automatic greasers, unless that's what you are talking about. That would be a hell of a machine to have to grease everyday,

Jim

Might need to break out the 18v battery power grease gun for that one LOL.

Chris

To see our equipment in action:

http://ca.youtube.com/user/letsdig18
zzzz DELETED 92613
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 2:26:57 AM

Dirtman2007 wrote:
Jim15 wrote:

I would guess on a machine this big it would have one of those cental lubrication units or automatic greasers, unless that's what you are talking about. That would be a hell of a machine to have to grease everyday,

Jim

Might need to break out the 18v battery power grease gun for that one LOL.

I don't think 18v will do the job!!

Awesome pictures!! Keep em' comin!
89cxsport
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 2:37:27 AM

great pics of a monster. I to would like an hour in the operators setof this thing.

Flickr Photostream
Brian C
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 4:07:06 AM

A technical question for those mining excavator operators/experts out there:-

In the past, everyone asked the question:-
'Why won't Terex O&K manufacture an RH 400 in backhoe configuration?' The answer was that it would be "too risky" to place a 900 tonne plus excavator on a bench for loading,due to the higher ground pressures exerted.
The latest versions which are currently being manufactured will,according to the technical data sheet,have a mass of approx.980 tonnes{metric],uitilise 2 metre wide track pads and exert a ground pressure of 25.8N/cm2.

The R9800 will most likely exert the same ground pressure as it weighs around 180 tonnes less but probably has the same ratio of machine mass:ground contact area ie.track width x length of track on ground x2 in relation to operating weight.We will have to wait for the specs to be released on the 9800 to find out if what I am saying is in fact correct.So is the explanation for not having an RH 400 in hoe form really valid?

Why has Hitachi not built a EX 8000 backhoe for the Australian miners?Are the only PC 8000 backhoe's found at Cerrejon in Columbia or do others exist around the world?It seems the Oz guys are not too concerned about using 800 tonne or larger backhoe's for their mines.

I think that sales of the R996 are now really going to slow down considerably-if they continue to manufacture it.Liebherr has certainly got another winner in the ultra large excavator class.

Brian C

Rossco
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 4:16:22 AM

Nice machine and nice pics thats for sure Cool

The Manifold on the Bucket is the Grease Doser/Injection Valve, Why they would place it on the bucket is beyond me.

I Dont like the duel tip links either! Any reason for this?

I am sure O&K would Build a RH400 BH if a customer required one.

Ros
JustinE
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 8:46:25 AM

I have to agree. It is odd that with all these years, Terex/O&K has not yet built a backhoe RH400. I don't think I've ever even seen the specs for a backhoe RH400. I'm sure they have the designs for it locked away in the valt at their headquarters, however, it would seem that with none being built, there must not be any market for a backhoe that size.

Here's a close-up of the cab on this beast.

-Justin

PAmining
ConstructionSite
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 1:13:49 PM

Was this a prototype or was this really a 996. The top of the housing has a different layout.

From my "from the internet" folder.

- Chris
4100serie
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 1:29:45 PM

This one is a "photo-montage". The only one 9800 ever built is the white one you can see upper in this topic
TimT
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 3:04:58 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The only reason that hoes were not built for 400's or 8000's ...so far.. is because that they all "except the RH 400E "Electric" went into oilsand work. Oilsand mine conditions will not support a backhoe working on top of muskeg or oilsand. And the risk of having a bank collapse is just to great. Now that some 400's will be going into iron ore and gold mining and EX 8000's into metals mines things might change... However, as big as that 9800 is, its still nowhere near the size of a 400. That extra tonnage makes a big difference on the ground you can work on. Also its the method of mining that has a lot to do with what choices are made. In the US Appalachian coal mines 10 years ago big backhoes were not common, now I would say they outnumber shovels. In the last few years quite a few big hoes have gone into mountian top removal, contour, and block cut operations. Machines like EX 5500's, PC 5500's, RH 200s and RH 340 hoes, etc, lots more machines than many people realize.I think you could very well see RH 400's and EX 8000 size machines in a backhoe configuration. The engineering for an RH 400 hoe was done a long time ago if I am correct.. in fact I think at one time is was advertised as being available either way.
jaexcavator
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 10:28:38 PM

This thing looks huge. Anyone got bucket capacity specs and GVM.

The reason it would be on the opposing side is that the predominiant practise is for onside loading at 45 degrees. This would make the Excavator cab on the truck side of the bench and also allow the operator to better judge bench clearance, tray clearance etc..

Reasonabl practise to double bench with the larger gear so this would allow the machine to be on the truck side of the operation and not the wall side which is potentially unsafe.

All in all it is a common design feature that allows ease of vision to the operator when mining.

If you haven't seen double benching i have posted a video on You Tube under "PC 5500". Alot of guys have asked whats with the double benching why not by a face shovel? Reason being that you can mine thin strips aswell as mass faces when pre stripping overburden in the high ration passes.

Cheers.
Jimi
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 10:47:39 PM

I missed when Tim posted this originally I guess, that's what happens I guess when you're out of state. Anyway I have a few questions:

-Is it bigger than the EX8000?

-Does anyone have photos of this beast working?

-Tim, do you think you could repost your photos?

regards,
Jim

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
JustinE
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:48:23 PM

Jimi wrote:
I missed when Tim posted this originally I guess, that's what happens I guess when you're out of state. Anyway I have a few questions:

-Is it bigger than the EX8000?

-Does anyone have photos of this beast working?

-Tim, do you think you could repost your photos?

regards,
Jim

Not to sure what the comparison is between the 8000 and the 9800, but as for your question about seing it working, we won't see this for awhile. This is the prototype, and has yet to be put to the operating tests in the field.

-Justin

PAmining
TimT
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:38:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Jim, Here you go. Its not quite as big as the EX 8000. It just edges out the PC 8000 Backhoe by 2 cu meters, the bucket is 44 cu meters I beleve.