DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Trucks. Most With a Michigan Twist *pic heavy* Options · View
Clevis
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 10:59:04 PM
Groups: Member

My Grampa was a jack-leg truck driver in Michgun fur awire. Ah ‘magine he was rite whin he give me this here stuff.

Michigan permits trucks up to 164,000 pounds on the system. However, different than other states, Michigan requires a lower weight per axle which more evenly distributes the load and reduces wear and tear on roads. MDOT engineers have thoroughly studied this issue and the result of this research is that heavier trucks do not cause a disproportionate amount of damage as long as the weight is evenly distributed over an appropriate number of axles. Additionally, trucks over 80,000 pounds make up only less than 5% of all trucks operating on our roads. If Michigan were to reduce it's truck weight laws to 80,000 pounds, more damage to the system may occur because of the need to put more trucks on the road. More trucks on the road raise serious questions concerning safety and traffic congestion.

Michigan permits trucks up to 164,000 pounds on the system with a maximum 11 axles. the maximum tandem axle assembly loading shall not exceed 16,000 pounds for any axle of the assembly, if there is no other axle within 9 feet of any axle of the assembly. If the axle spacing is 9 feet or more between axles, the maximum axle load can be 18,000 pounds. If the axle spacing is less than 9 feet between 2 axles but more than 3-1/2 feet, the maximum is 13,000 pounds. In the spring time of the year this weight is reduced. It is known as the ‘frost law’.

Clevis
cat594
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 11:42:03 PM

Tubro....

Great looking pictures of the Michigan trucks as someone that grew up in Michigan that is where some of the greatest looking trucks are being on the west coast now they just don't have the same kind of trucks that Michigan does but then we do have some big lowboy's out here which is good to see.........

William........ Teeth Teeth Teeth
ulf
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 11:45:13 PM

qball wrote:
i got a sickness, and the only cure is more AXLES.

Great set of photos. Fascinating. Like "Clevis" pointed out - there is a method (and reason) to the madness. Commuter busses raise hell with roads also - 20 tons over two axles. Each state has their own set of priorities and it really is a balancing act between road/bridge repair and the number of trucks on the highway. I especially liked the Kenworth cabover (?) setup. Wow. Whistle
turbo21835
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:23:09 AM

Ulf, priorities for bridge repair are pitiful in this state. In fact we have a large number of bridge decks that are just plain trashed. Its to the point where pieces of concrete deck are falling into traffic on the roads below. MDOTS solution to the problem is not to find money to fix the bridge, rather they go to the lumber yard, pick up 3/4 inch plywood and 2x6s. They run the 2x6s from bridge beam to bridge beam, and put plywood over the top. This catches the falling concrete, and apparently fixes the problem Confused

That Kenworth is cherry. There are two trucks in the company, the other being a peterbuilt. They haul mostly asphalt, but if the route is right, they will haul asphalt to the paver, swing into a sand pit, and haul sand back to the asphalt plant. No one around here has to haul stone to the asphalt plants as they get their stone shipped in by lake freighters. I went by their yard today to see if i could grab some new pics, but paving season is over. The trucks have been detailed, and put back in the barn for winter.

The peterbuilt

Charter Member, QBall Fan Club
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42336642940&ref=ts
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:10:44 AM

You taunt me with those pics, Still miss the good ol' michigan trucks...

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:24:52 AM

I don't understand how the guy in the cab over backed those doubles up. I thought it was damn near impossible I can barely back up a single ha.

Oh and also who produces those huge roll off trailers?

-Josh
fensoncontracting
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:50:57 AM

Cool pics, thanks for sharing these pictures. Very cool seeing trucks with lots of axles under them.
D5G
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:38:42 AM

...looks like we got us a convoy, of axles that is! great pics Turbo...keeo em commin, that michigan train stuff is too cool.Applause

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread
Remko
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:47:13 AM

For a long time I thought taht these kinds of trailers were US only, until I saw a series of photo's of Italian Coil transporters. Trucks with a GVW of up to 126 metric tons (277,800 lbs!!) are no exception there. Enjoy the photo's: Italian Coil transport @ Ditzj.de

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
turbo21835
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:15:17 AM

What do you mean Eric, you guys can run triples out on the west coast, ive seen it done :d/ I have some pics coming up for you later today, may even remind you why you left this state.

CarlBrutanananadilewski, backing the trains up isnt that bad when you know the secret to backing them up. The dolly with the 5th wheel for the pup locks. So instead of having a pivot point on the truck 5th wheel, the pintail hitch for the dolly, and the 5th wheel for the pup. You have the 5th wheel on the tractor, and the pintail hitch as your only pivot points. The key is to make small corrections. You dont wan to have to turn hard at the last minute, as all those tires wont let it happen. Still, these trailers can be a challenge to put into tight areas. This is what makes me believe we have some of the best truck drivers around. That being said, they are still truck drivers, and will mow down all the stakes on a jobsite if you let them.

Now to the business of the roll off trailers. I believe the one in the picture is a Benlee. http://www.benlee.com/ If I remember correctly, a lot of the roll off manufacturers produce a trailer similar to that one for the Michigan market. Again, you can get the train set up for 40 yard roll offs, Or you can even set up a short double for roll offs. The one I have pictured is a 90 yarder. Used almost exclusively by the demo companies.

Charter Member, QBall Fan Club
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42336642940&ref=ts
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:24:44 PM

turbo21835 wrote:
kokosing Const Co wrote:
Wow those are some serious axles, pretty ridiculous if you ask me. 8 axles on a flowboy? The most around here in Buffalo is 2 with a drop axle on the trailer.

Nice pics nonetheless, love that RX700 on that lowboy

Yes, it may seem strange, but what do those flowboys in Buffalo have for a gvw?

Honestly I haven't a clue about weights and such, that's something TimT would have to give you an answer on..
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:34:26 PM

Thanks Turbo. Thats pretty interesting that the pup 5th wheel locks I guess that would make it a lot easier. I just got my CDL and in the school I went to thats how they taught me with small corrections like break and then straighten the trailer with the tractor then again and again and again. Thanks for the info though!

-Josh
screed4713
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:03:18 PM

New York has two different weight laws depending on the region you are hauling in. They have downstate and statewide permits.
Statewide: Seven axles 117,000 gvw, 52 foot outer bridge. 13,000 lbs front axle, 42,000lbs on tandem, and 63,000 on the quad. 210" wb tractor with 38' trailer
Six axles 107,000 gvw. 36 1/2 foot outer bridge 210" wb tractor with 28' trailer
payload anywhere from 33 to 37 tons.
Downstate: Dutchess county and south
Seven axles 120,000 gvw, 43 foot outer bridge, 48,000 on tandem, 65,000 on quad
these are grandfathered permits 38 to 43 ton payload 30' trailer
Seven axles 117,000 gvw, 43 foot outer bridge, 46,000 on tandem, 63,000 on quad
new downstate permit so new companies can compete with grandfathered companies
Six axles 120,000 gvw, 36 1/2 foot outer bridge 48,000 on tandem, 69,000 on tridem
old grandfathered permit, allowed six axles until 2015 than must be seven axles.

Seven axle downstate unit 37.75 to 39.25 payload

Six axle unit statewide 34 ton payload
downstate 40.5 ton payload until 2015

This six axle unit can carry downstate: 43.25 ton
statewide: 36.75 ton
dr501
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:23:26 PM

a pic of us coming out of a job in standish mich a few years ago 85 diamond reo "giant" and a 86 western star ( a lil pic for equipment,truck and logging guys)

www.langtool.com
www.langlandclearing.com
www.prolec.co.uk/index.php
“Disclaimer: the views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of any official agency.or said above

The bearer of bad news on a new site, the HYDRO-AX guy

ulf
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:28:29 PM

Geez, what a pic... Applause

Not something you see everyday...
dr501
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:00:17 PM

ulf wrote:
Geez, what a pic... Applause

Not something you see everyday...

unfoutunetly we did. wish i knew how to put up video of it

www.langtool.com
www.langlandclearing.com
www.prolec.co.uk/index.php
“Disclaimer: the views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of any official agency.or said above

The bearer of bad news on a new site, the HYDRO-AX guy

Jim15
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:59:46 PM

nice pics again turbo. A lot of axles in those pics. We don't have anything over triaxles here, no quads, and we also never have anything normally over a triaxle dump trailer or lowboy either,

Jim