DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Erlog Productions newest project> Scale model of Demag CC8800 Twin. Options · View
Homer
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:45:20 PM

Groups: Member

CC8800twin, just wondering if you have got permission off terex demag to do this? Surely they need to commission a model maker to build it if it is going on general sale to the public?

Also, you mentioned about the customer deciding the colours they want.. Am i correct in thinking that no crane company (or maybe only one) actually own one of these yet?

Noel.
hulan
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:55:37 PM

Homer wrote:
CC8800twin, just wondering if you have got permission off terex demag to do this? Surely they need to commission a model maker to build it if it is going on general sale to the public?

Also, you mentioned about the customer deciding the colours they want.. Am i correct in thinking that no crane company (or maybe only one) actually own one of these yet?

Funny, because I was thinking the same thing....

In the meantime, a model would be cool...

Good luck with the project.....

GH
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:59:19 PM

Homer wrote:

personally i dont think it matters, does everyone else have permission to make all the custom projects they all work on and sell? no. and im pretty sure there are more than 1, there is a red and white one and that one that TimT posted pics of which was all white with writing on the boom.
dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:27:45 PM

I guess I have questions similar to Homer.Have you contacted Conrad as well as Terex-Demag about production of this model? I fully understand that there are small loopholes customizers can slip through when doing "one-of-a-kind" models, but to openly advertise that you are doing a production-based model seems a bit bold.

I'll be honest in saying that I dont have many cranes in my collection,(maybe a dozen or so with the biggest being the Sennebogen 5500) but wouldnt it just be easier to purchase 2 8800's and fabricate it into a twin? I've done custom work before and have had parts cast from masters I built. And the first thing that you find out is that it is very expensive. So to imagine a model the size of a 8800 Twin, the out-of-pocket costs would be HUGE. (I think $30K USD would be on the low side for metal casting assuming you had a master that was up to specs.) You may have access to CAD, CNC, water jetting, laser cutting, 3D printing, and casting that may make it possible, but the costs would be a killer. I can honestly see it being financially reasonable to cut up two 8800's versus the design and manufacture of a new model. You also have the benefit of it being a "custom" model instead of a production model, and that get's you through the legal loopholes. (for the most part.) Good luck with things-keep us posted.

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

gbarnewall
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:40:38 PM

i don't think you could slavage much from 2 cc8800's,

looking at the twin,its huge in comparison,much wider base and longer track frames with 3 hyd drives in each,it runs on a slew ring similar to the ptc by the looks of it too,much much bigger than the conrad cc8800 slew ring

I don't want to discourage this build at all,this will be fantastic and just as pricey but i'm sure over heads and costs have been looked into

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

ulf
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:43:39 PM

dirtboy wrote:
...but wouldnt it just be easier to purchase 2 8800's and fabricate it into a twin? I've done custom work before and have had parts cast from masters I built. And the first thing that you find out is that it is very expensive. I can honestly see it being financially reasonable to cut up two 8800's versus the design and manufacture of a new model. You also have the benefit of it being a "custom" model instead of a production model, and that get's you through the legal loopholes. (for the most part.)

An interesting observation. I would guess a talented model maker could make the conversion with good results. I don't know enough about the physical differences between the cranes (besides the obvious,) but your idea sounds pretty viable. Think

Edit: Thanks for the input, Graham...
I compared the 8800 spec sheet with the Twin, and you are quite correct. Basically one would have to manufacture a new crawler / body assembly. And it would need to be properly engineered to support all that weight. Still, it is not out of the realm of possiblility for a good metal worker, and you get the booms ready built..
Cool
TommiR8
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:54:29 PM

Quote:

personally i dont think it matters, does everyone else have permission to make all the custom projects they all work on and sell? no. and im pretty sure there are more than 1, there is a red and white one and that one that TimT posted pics of which was all white with writing on the boom.

Well if i was to do a company livery excavator or lorry id ALWAYS ask permission...I think its right really...expecially if i chose to sell some on aswell.
Lotsacrane
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:08:56 PM

The only way that it may matter is if he offered them for sale with the Terex logo as a Terex CC8800 Twin .. Key word ..for sale ..in part or whole ..

The Terex logo is copyrighted....

In terms of a Knock--off ..as long as its presented as an unendorsed Terex product ....Or a product baring similarities to a Terex product..

Its a stand-off model ..at best ..unless he's using actual Demag drawings to fabricate the unit ..

Of course im no legal spin-doctor either ..

If thats the Case I should really not build that model Of Northwestern, last thing I want is Sig and ther boys beating down my door ..I dont have enough batteries to go round ..for sure they''ll want to play with it ..

Meaning Demag will probably want one of those Twin's to ..

Q-Ball a wolf in Jesus skin ---the sorcerer of reasonable commentary

I smile & wave

Sometimes I think life is just a rodeo,
The trick is to ride and make it to the bell.

hummer13
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:24:31 PM

I was thinking this whole license thing in my head. I was thinking if you were selling customs it would be ok, but if you are doing a production run you might run into a problem. This is why a lot of my stuff I do not put company names on them

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
CC8800twin
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:18:53 PM

Firstly I want to say that yes I have contacted Conrad and Terex-Demag about this issues, Conrad told me that they didn't have plans of making one of this models and Terex-Demag haven;t answered yet. I am not going to make this hole project alone. I am partnering with Cam-pop (wich is the company of my father). I am going to try to make the model as cheapest as possible.
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:44:48 PM

well i cant wait to see it, maybe if the price isnt bad and it looks great, i might get oneThink

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Lotsacrane
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:59:50 PM

CC8800twin wrote:
Firstly I want to say that yes I have contacted Conrad and Terex-Demag about this issues, Conrad told me that they didn't have plans of making one of this models and Terex-Demag haven;t answered yet. I am not going to make this hole project alone. I am partnering with Cam-pop (wich is the company of my father). I am going to try to make the model as cheapest as possible.

Well ..when RCA wouldnt cut the Japanese in on a patent for the VCR ..they just went to K-Mart ..bought a few and reversed engineered them ,then produced them..
They worried about the licensing and stuff for later ..because they did ask up front , in the open..in a formal fashion ..

Geez how many DVD players are made North American Made today?

the other stuff well work itself out ..Terex probably thinks it well never happen and if it does "they" will know ..Its not like your trying to undercut them for a dollar ..

You go at it ..all the best ..

I smile & wave

Lotsacrane
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:00:41 PM

Doubled posted...Eh? Wink

I smile & wave

CC8800twin
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:26:38 AM

cranedude07 wrote:
well i cant wait to see it, maybe if the price isnt bad and it looks great, i might get oneThink

It would look nice between a Manitowoc 31000
ulf
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:53:52 PM

Lotsacrane wrote:

You go at it ..all the best ..

Ditto... Cool
CC8800twin
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:31:47 PM

Status of the project: looking for partners and drawing the outline dimensions of the scale model.

CC8800twin
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:11:21 AM

Status: Transfering the paper drawings to a 3D software (Cinema 4D), with the dimensions of a 1:50 scale model.

cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:13:55 AM

nice job so far

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
CC8800twin
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:23:19 AM

cranedude07 wrote:
nice job so far

thanks Smile
CC8800twin
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 3:22:04 AM

status: finishing the crawlers, the ring and the turntable.