DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

US Crane Manufacturer Evolution Options · View
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:20:51 AM
Groups: Member

The industry consolidation has been significant. There were those that only built small machines, - Shield Bantam, Michigan, Insley and Little Giant.

The former major players were American, Bucyrus Erie, Koering, BLH Lima (later Clark),Thew-Lorain (Lorain), Link Belt, Manitowoc, Northwest, and P&H. Hydraulic technology added Grove and briefly Pettibone.

Each had their specialty. Link Belt competed on cost. P&H had both price and ease of movement and hence became the daily rental machine of choice. Northwest was the big city dirt machine and pit machine. Bucyrus Erie also stayed in the excavation and mid sized lift markets but did not stray as far from their mining side as P&H although they showed some spectacular engineering prowess in the early hydraulic days until focusing solely on mining. Manitowoc focused on heavy crawlers which an occasionaly truck mounting of those on third party carriers. Their real strengths were the Vicon torque converter and the extreem ruggedness of the machines. Lima's were near and dear to steel erectors due to their line speed. American built it all from the smallest to largest and but never obtained the dirt segment. They were a leader in boom technology other than Lorain's development of the tower attachment and pushed many of the reach limits in their day.

Most of the past names today reside under the Terex umbrella. The Lima technology being the exception and having found its way to Grove. Grove save the changes in direction of its then ownership could have been a bigger force considering that the Justice Department stopped its acquisition of the P&H lift and hydraulic crane business and Manitowoc finally taking a flyer and developing the M250 Not well know is that Grove was developing a bigger (250 to 300 ton) version of the HL150 series when finances haulted development. In the mean time Manitowoc developed the M-250 which lead to the 2250. Certainly one of the most successful modern US built cranes. Hence much of our former industry today resides under just Terex and Manitowoc. Only Link Belt survives under Sumitomo and the true spirit of P&H lattice cranes continues more under Kobelco, the Kobe Steel liscensee of P&H techology that they purchased when P&H exited the lattice lift crane markets.

Likewise there was a period when Demag might have become part of Manitowoc and by default ended up with Terex. Only cost (investment banking greed?) and overlaping product prevented that. It is amazing what committed ownership has allowed Manitex to do as an independent company after Manitowoc was forced to divest after acquiring National as part of Grove.

Enought of my history and ramblings.
EdG
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:57:00 AM

You forgot Marion and Bay City! And it is very noteworthy in light of today's machines that P&H and Lima both reached the 300 ton lattice boom crane both as a crawler and as a truck machine - in the late 60's, early 70's, long before LinkBelt and off shore manufacturers were there. And American was close behind. Like the domestic steel industry, the US crane industry could have continued in a leadership role but many problems including poor management decisions resulted in what we have now.
EdG
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:08:14 PM

And how could we forget Unit! See a number of them still around.
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:51:08 PM

Yes, I forgot Unit Crane and Shovel. Bay City was actually absorbed by American during the period I was thinking of but do remember seeing them around. The devestation of the 74 and early 80's recesssions.

Ed is correct when you consider the significance of the 300 ton P&H and Lima crawlers and truck machines. American was later and only did so in a crawler with the 1000 series and then went to 350 tons. American's history on the truck machine is a bit clouded. I've seen indications that 9480 originated long before it was ever listed as a production model.

Likewise we had the brief history of the big Link Belts. If my memory is right they were the 518, 618, 718 and 818. These were 250, 300, 400 and 500 ton machines. Again these were well before todays large machines.

The conglomerate break ups and in American's case divestiture of a original core business to an undercapitalized new venture devestated their product development. Interesting in that they also owned Crosby, Lebus as well as Waterous (pumps) and Coast to Coast (hardware stores).

Where are the John Carroll's (American) John West's (Manitowoc) of today. Although it is noted in Manitowoc's history that the 4100 was developed as a skunk works project around John West only to become their most successful machine.
apm2754
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:59:15 PM

I think the breakdown on the big Link Belts was:

718 250 ton
818 300 ton
918 400 ton
1018 500 ton

http://www.linkbelt.com/lit/archive/archive_home_lbp.htm

- Andy

EdG
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:43:06 PM

I find it interesting that two of the largest steel fabricators/erectors had for the most part two totally different fleets. Bethlehem Steel's Fabricated Steel Construction division (FSC) had Lima crawlers and P&H truck cranes. US Steel's American Bridge division (AmBridge) used Manitowocs - not sure what make truck cranes they used. There certainly were some interesting alligiances to particular brands - I conclude all 3 made excellent cranes or the two steel companies would not have bought them.
JHart
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:21:51 PM

AB Truck and Hydraulic Cranes:
-P&H lattice truck cranes: 555, 645, 660, 780, 9125
-P&H RT's: R150
-Pettibone RT's: Model 30
-Galion RTs: 125, 150
-Grove hydraulic trucks: TM660

Also, I believe that AB owned Manitowoc 4100W S/N 41001, bought in 1969.

lkuretich
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 3:37:23 AM

Hey DC Craneman
I hope The Crane Guide Book has as much information as I have gleaned from reading this thread.
Sure would like to see more of the older Link Belt and P&H cranes.

When I was building tanks and hanging iron we usually looked for the smoothest operator. I have been on a job where a Link Belt LS 518 was used for all of the ironwork, short boomed to handle some 2MW generators, then back to setting steel.

I will try and dig through my older stuff and scan for viewing, hope everyone else has some pictures of some of the older workhorses.

Thanks
Larry
northwest
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:33:32 AM

hi DC craneman

very interesting your point of view, it is sad to see that so numerous Crane brand names disappeared, personally i am fascinated by American cranes and Northwest, i agree with you that Northwset was favorite in dirty jobs, but American is still in my opinion the US flagship in mechanical cranes... here in Europe i am still surprised to see some big 9310 here and here used in deep foundations works, lifting heavy bauer drill system. American produced some really hard and solid crawler crane frames, these machines i mean 900 and 1000 series are old but still used here and here, and i don't talk about the fantastic Ringer system which boosted the power lift of the 9310 or 9320 crane from 250 tons to over 500 tons if i remember well: so my observation is that actually Crane manufacturer don't try to find such interesting systems, their range are a little poor, and i think that now everybody can produce a crane with the same hydraulic components ect... in the past each competitors had its own design, improvement ect, look at the powerful truck cranes produced in the 60's and 70's : P&H Lima ect, wee don't see actually a choice like that: even the design of these mechanical cranes was great, now it is like in the hydraulic excavators market, when you see closer, there are not especially such differences: komatsu, daewoo, hitachi liebherr use the same link pads, the same hydraulic cylinders ect... remember the very special design of the early "big" US excavators such as Northwest 100-DH (known as the 1200-c crane), Koehring 1266D, or Bucyrus erie 500-H! these machines were close in design to the crawler frame, each manufacturer thinked relly its own design, there was some development and research in that period in order to offer some real improvements! well i stop here and sorry in advance for my poor english, but i just add that it is sad to see that US crane industry which was so powerful in the last decades is only represented now by Terex and Manitowoc...
EdG
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:16:55 AM

Northwest - you are right about the old designs. Today's hydro machines are essentially generic with each manufacturer's "bells and whistles" added to make them a "littlle different." And today's machines are "throw-aways" - repair and possibly rebuild for a dozen years or so then junk them. I still see many vintage 60's and 70's crawler and truck cranes still running, in good condition. You don't see that with hydros.

A friend with a ENR top 10 construction firm says you just can't kill the old machines, they just keep running.
towoc999
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:20:12 AM

Hi !

Guy's this thread is simply classical music to my ears ! that forum is the BEST we have people here with knowledge like unbelievable ! thank's a millions for sharing all this info !

The Frenchmam
DC Craneman
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:20:09 PM

I know that Bethleheem also had some larger Lima truck machines (1200T ?)as well. These were pictured in an SKF bearing ad in Fortune magazine years ago.

American Bridge as recent as two years ago still had some big Americans as well.

Thank brings us back to another name I have mentioned that was McHugh. Located in Pendell, PA they serviced both the Philadelphia and Delaware markets but also into New Jersey and farther. One of their customers was none other than United States Steel Fairless Hills mill and their American Bridge fabricating plant in Trenton, NJ. They hauled many of the very large fabrications from that plant as well as providing them with rental truck cranes. One of the McHugh's worked closely with American Hoist to develope the early larger 900 series truck cranes and one of the smaller truck cranes used to set the deck of Verrezano Narrows bridge for American Bridge was actually a McHugh American.
DC Craneman
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:51:30 PM

When we look at the owner's of the old technology Manitowoc via Grove has ended up with the Clark Lima technology with Clark having also purchased Michigan Shovel and hence the name for their dirt equipment.

Terex is equally unique for it corporately is the re-name Northwest which acquired the Terex earthmoving brands. Northwest previously having acquired the parts businesses of both the Bucyrus Construction products as well as Koehring who had earlier acquired both Bantam and Lorain. They also acquired the Century II business which was the P&H construction equipment hydraulic lines. Likewise Demag cranes found itself on the wrong side of an acquisition of which it was an extraneous part. The new owners had tried to sell it to Manitowoc but Manitowoc knew that it would have market consolidation issues within the European Union and felt that they were being asked to pay too much of the purchase premium on the purchase of the crane business. When Grove became available via investment bankers' bankruptcy, they avoided the premium issues and market share issues other than in boom trucks. That is why Manitex, #2 in US market, was spun off in favor of National, #1 in US market share. Much of the active engineering other than on hydraulic truck and RTs has come from Demag. I believe that the Centry II success was through PPM and on to Terex. Hence today you have crawlers and all terrains being developed and built via Demag. The hydraulic trucks are from smaller to larger Lorain and P&H in origins with a bit of PPM thrown in in Europe. The "new" hydraulic Americans are I believe IHI machines while in history and position in the market American would have been a better marketing tool for the larger Demags in my opinion.

The evolution of the P&H lattice cranes is more murky as Kobe Steel was a P&H liscensee who purchased the rights to continue using the technology. So in some ways todays big Kobelcos are successors to yesterdays P&H machines.

Similar thing happened to Link Belt as when FMC sold them, liscensee Sumitomo bought the whole company.

Today Badger is linked thru mergers and such to Insley and the continuing Little Giant machines which continue in maintenance of way machines as well and I believe the sole source of 25 ton US built latice truck and crawler machines.

The final name to throw out though newer is Trans World. To my knowledge they only ever built one machine, a 400 ton truck machine designated SL400 which is very similar to the final American 700 series 125 ton truck machine. The same individual designed them and shows where things were headed before American headed to the Carolinas and became undercapitalized. The last I knew, this machine was with Jake's in Las Vegas although it was for sale.
mariot
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:41:28 PM

DC Craneman,

Thanks for this thread. It's certainly great to hear about the older American crane manufacturers and thier products. All the makes mentioned by you and others in this thread put out great machines in their day. I thought that I maight like to share a few pictures I have taken of some of these older friction and hydraulic cranes.

First, a rare bird,(at least as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong!!) a Maintowoc M250T truck crane.

I took this some years ago (mid 90's??), at the Port of Baltimore. I understand this crane made only a few picks now and then at the port. I do not know of the disposition of it today. I have a few pictures of this machine.

Next, a Link-Belt LS-218 (am I right??) working a ball on a demo job. This particular crane has seen plenty of demo jobs all over Baltimore.

I have more pictures of this elderly fellow, which still sees action today on demo jobs.

Here is another blast from the past, a P&H 790-TC working a clamshell bucket, also on a demo job. This guy's a pretty well-worn machine!!

Looking up the boom as she works:

Northwest, you mention one of my favorite brands, and there were plenty of them in my hometown NYC involved in dirt work as you mentioned. Here's an 80D shovel excavating in Manhattan in the late 70's.

That's it for now; I'll post more as I dig up more of my pics!! Keep the thread alive!!
kerst
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 12:02:30 AM

Great pictures! Keep them coming!

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
johndeere4020
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 12:23:28 AM

Big red is still at Dundalk but I haven't seen her move much.
northwest
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 7:35:54 AM

DC Craneman wrote:
I know that Bethleheem also had some larger Lima truck machines (1200T ?)as well. These were pictured in an SKF bearing ad in Fortune magazine years ago.

American Bridge as recent as two years ago still had some big Americans as well.

Thank brings us back to another name I have mentioned that was McHugh. Located in Pendell, PA they serviced both the Philadelphia and Delaware markets but also into New Jersey and farther. One of their customers was none other than United States Steel Fairless Hills mill and their American Bridge fabricating plant in Trenton, NJ. They hauled many of the very large fabrications from that plant as well as providing them with rental truck cranes. One of the McHugh's worked closely with American Hoist to develope the early larger 900 series truck cranes and one of the smaller truck cranes used to set the deck of Verrezano Narrows bridge for American Bridge was actually a McHugh American.

yes you re right! i have some very special pictures showing McHugh lifting big industrial parts, and it really seems like they own very unique big 900 series American truck cranes: the carrier seem to be specially made for them or maybe they are the very early TC 900 series, very compact and well designed, not like these big 9520 that we see here and here with longer carrier.
I will try to post some photos picturing the 9310 or 9320 cranes in ringer configuration, so people will see that there was not only Manitowoc 4100 that existed in ringer system. However, and i am sure that i am not the only one: i still think that the manitowoc 4600 with the ringer system was and is a powerful crane! i am talking about the crane version of the 4600, not the dragline config. which is probably well designed for dirt jobs but not reall "esthetic" crane with those big couterweights and short crawler frames.
Just in my opinion but if i have two names which symbolize the US crane industry for me, i would say AMERICAN and NORTHWEST!! In addition, the P&H 6250 TC was a big monster in its time and a very impressive machine! and the little manitowoc 3900T is still a legendary crane... we could talk about this for days, hope this thread will continue , very interesting!
mariot
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 9:01:23 AM

Northwest,

The P&H 6250 was definitely a big crane for its day. I photographed this one in the early 70s when the Cross Bronx Expressway/Bruckner Expressway interchange was being built. I remember being impressed by this monster back then. I also have the literature for this early beast as well.

Here she is:

DC Craneman
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 9:35:43 AM

Lindahl Bros. in Chicago also used the Northwests for excavation during the 50's and 60's. The cable machines were somewhat pushed aside by the track loader and now the track loader is less popular than the hydraulic excavator.

To pick up on another's comment, Jimmy McHugh did design the original six axle crane carrier. He worked with John Carroll, President of American to mate the two. Hendrickson Mfg. built the carriers for him. This same basic six axle carrier was built by Hendrickson for Manitowoc for the 3900T. During the 70's American began building their own carriers as did Link Belt and P&H. The plant was in Canada and continues today as Tor Truck. This is the source of the M250T and 2250T Manitowoc carriers. During 60's and 70's Hendrickson supplied BE, Northwest, American, Grove. The big Hendrickson carrier would handle up to a 220 or 250 ton crane. The final 9480 Americans used a Pierce Pacific carrier. Crane Carrier Corp. and FWD Corp. also built carriers although I do not believe that the latter built more than a three axle carrier.

As an aside it is interesting that Hendrickson also built Big and Little Henry for Higgins, several of Lampson's prime movers as well as McHugh's turcks other than for the two Cline's. They ran one of the few eastern Hendrickson users. Further the original Talbert plant was diagonally across an intersection from the original Talbert Mfg. (trailers) plant in Lyons, Illinois. Material here for several more threads.

The giants of the truck crane market were the Manitowoc M250T as illustrated in the tread and its successor 2250T, the American 9490 and the earlier introduced P&H 6250T and the Lima 7707, all at 300 tons. The only larger US machine built to my knowledge as a lattice boom truck was the single Transworld SL400 which could be roaded without removing the house. Link Belt came last with the HC268 at 250 and the HC278 at 300 tons between the rear outriggers. One should note that the American 9490 weights 50 tons more than the 278 Link Belt in operating form. The Manitowocs in the 10 to 20 tons more than the American's. This also speaks to why we hold these Machines in the esteem we do. That weight translates directly into their charts but also makes them difficult to move unless you were in jurisdictions where you could just pull weights and boom and drive them. New Jersey and New York City come to mind. Gerosa owned some of the American 900 truck machines along side their famed 4100s.

kerst
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 9:45:30 AM

I am enjoying this thread! Thanks for all the contributions!

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251