DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

US Crane Manufacturer Evolution Options · View
BryanG
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 3:42:37 PM

Groups: Member

The American 9490 that Maxim has in Phoenix has a Pierce carrier. The crane un-decks for transportation. It looks like an aircraft carrier rolling down the road.
EdG
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 3:46:30 PM

Potts & Callahan is a totally different organization today than it was in the 50's and 60's. There is a great photo of their P&H 255A-TC using a clamshell to clear silt from a lake on Gywns Falls Parkway in a P&H truck crane brochure from the 60's. Today, they demo concrete structures and recyle the crushed material at their Monument St. plant. I'm betting the Link Belt truck crane was bought from Langenfelder as it is the latter's paint scheme. Potts didn't have that scheme in their earlier days and it is unusual.
Langenfelder sold all their steel plant operationsseveral years ago; their only work now is oyster shell dredging and some pier work on the Eastern shore of Maryland.
mariot
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:49:59 PM

EdG,

It would be great to see that photo of Potts and Callahan on that dredging job. Interesting that you noted the color scheme on the P&C Link-Belt crane. You remeinded me of the fact that the CJ Langenfelder machines had the same color scheme. I used to go into the Sparrows Point steel mill every day as part of my work and had seen and photographed the CJ Langenfelder Lima 2400 crane that was used to breag up slag. It also had the same color scheme as the Potts and Callahan cranes. And as you mention, it's a strong possibility that Potts and Callahan bought that crane from CJ.

I'll try to scan the Lima machine tomorrow at work and post the photos of it.
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 6:27:24 PM

Great crane thread and nice pics luv the round cab on the old P&h real vintage look and the big six axel jobs! See this site for lots of cool old cranes like the 6250,9280 etc.

Regards
Chet
Code:
http://www.cranenetwork.com/search/main_search.asp

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
RI CRANEMAN
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 7:05:43 PM

Here's the oldest photo I have for a P&H crane from a 1965 magazine advertisement.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow
mariot
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 7:15:06 PM

RI Craneman,

I'm assuming (hopefully correctly!!) that the P&H machine shown in the advertisement is a license-built version, built in Japan. Am I correct?? Also, I was unaware that they also manufactured pile hammers and piledrivers as well.
DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 10:22:14 PM

The Bragg 8470 is also interesting in that it is the final evolution of the 8400 series as was built in Wilmington, NC by American Crane Corp. as opposed to Minneapolis St. Paul or Canada by American Hoist and Derrick. This machine was part of the final glory days for American.
DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 10:24:58 PM

For RI Craneman, yes Kobel Steel was a licensee of P&H and they when P&H left the construction equipment market purchased some of the designs. That is why Terex does not have P&H lattice technology. It is also why Kobelco is so significant today. There machines are the legacy of the glorious P&H of old.
mariot
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:43:17 AM

As promised, here are some pics of the CJ Langenfelder Lima 2400, seen at the Bethlehem Sparrows Point Steel mill. A large machine for its day.

Also at the steel mill, Marino was working there in the 90s, refurbishing one of the blast furnaces.

I particularly like the Bragg 8470 American. Impressive machine.

Lima 70T
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:13:11 AM

I thought i had more photos of these two lattice boom truck cranes. Gotta find em.
This one is a Lima 70T(hence username) I don't know its model number. Its since been sold to another bridge building company.

And this one is a P&H/Kobelco rated at 150 Tons. Was a monster till recently. Got more photos of her to, somewhere.

As Mammoet says "SIZE DOES MATTER". Slowly collecting Mammoet 1:50 scale stuff. Mainly cranes!
DC Craneman
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:19:20 PM

The Marino Demag CC series is definitely new school and post consolidation of American (US) manufacturers. This is what the old American should have become in my mind.
apm2754
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:03:35 PM

mariot wrote:

Also at the steel mill, Marino was working there in the 90s, refurbishing one of the blast furnaces.

Do you have any more photos of this project? I can never get enough of steel mills!

- Andy

PileDriving
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:02:36 PM

History class is now in session!

Justin
SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:28:37 PM

I'm enjoying this-thanks. Anyone see where Manitowoc entered into an agreement with Kobelco for a lattice boom crane approx 150 t to be sold in the US. maybe thats Manitex read it somewhere. Also there is a strike at the main plant and also layoffs!
Cubanb343
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:27:30 PM

SDBOB- Kobelco has been making the small lattice Manitowocs for a few years now.. Not sure if that's what you are referring to or not. The 8000's and 10000's are just red Kobelcos. Very nice too I might add.

To add to this great thread, I just came off of an old hydraulic P&H. 75 ton truck crane. Definitely an old girl (1974 someone said), but not a bad rig overall! It had those screw down outrigger pads
kerst
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:29:18 PM

Cubanb343 wrote:
SDBOB- Kobelco has been making the small lattice Manitowocs for a few years now.. Not sure if that's what you are referring to or not. The 8000's and 10000's are just red Kobelcos. Very nice too I might add.

To add to this great thread, I just came off of an old hydraulic P&H. 75 ton truck crane. Definitely an old girl (1974 someone said), but not a bad rig overall! It had those screw down outrigger pads

Must be a P&H T-750

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 5:43:57 PM

The Kobelco's were the machines that I was referring to. Those in the 80 through 120 ton classes sold via Manitowoc have been relatively successful. I say relatively as if you have a Kobelco dealer or have the ability to go directly to Kobelco, the pricing was more attractive via Kobelco.

The 150 ton 555 has never sold well. Some of the big red fleets that get national pricing have acquired them, but they have not sold well to the smaller consumer. The Manitowocs smaller than the 14000 have not had the across the board success that the earlier 3900, 3900W, 3950, and 4000 did as they have not caught on with the foundation contractors etc. The large excavators have also cut into the former drag line business.

I've wondered wether Manitiowoc at some point will use their Chinese built crane as a replacement for the Kobelco's but they need to stand behind them and build them to an international standard to do so.

The Manitex name and boom truck were formerly Manitowoc's but were divested when they acquired National as part of the Grove acquisition. The was the antil-trust conslidation threat that drove this.

As a total aside, the P&H T750s are a very stout old machine and were only nearly matched in longevity by the Bucyrus 45C 30 ton machines.