DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1,000-ton crane coming to Farmersburg, IN (Photos Added) Options · View
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 9:44:20 PM

Groups: Member

I got word today a 1,000 ton crane is on its way to Farmersburg, Indiana. It's possible it may be a Lampson because of the range required.

The story on this is that the Farmersburg mine had just parked their 2570W walking dragline for repairs prior to the deadhead to the new Bear Run mine. For repairs, the boom needed to be lowered, but the mine was not allowed to use one of their own experienced operators due to the contract or insurance or something, and the contracted company had to use one of theirs. Somehow during the lowering process, the person in the seat pulled the hoist back too much and the mast was pulled backwards into the house of the machine, causing the rear cords of the mast to bend. By whatever miracle, the mast is stuck straight up and did not collapse.

Now the company responsible has to safely lower the boom, so they are bringing in some cranes to do it - a 1000 tonner and 2 near-500 ton cranes (at least). If the machine was to lower the boom on its own the mast would most certainly fail due to the main cords being bent.

Someone has posted a couple of topics on the stripmine.org messageboard with photos. The machine is out of the pit, so it's easy to see from a distance due to its size.

http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi/wwwboard/stripmine?cmd=get&cG=3363936393&zu=3336393639&v=2&gV=0&p=

http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/anyboard.cgi/wwwboard/stripmine?cmd=get&cG=3373034333&zu=3337303433&v=2&gV=0&p=

Hopefully all goes well. I'm interested to see what crane is going to be used.

Redjack
cranedude07
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 9:52:40 PM

hasnt this happened before with terrible resultsThink , maybe they will set the cranes on the side of the boom this time and walk the cranes along the side of the boom while lowering it

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
a Cutter
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:13:26 PM

Redjack Ryan wrote:
I got word today a 1,000 ton crane is on its way to Farmersburg, Indiana. It's possible it may be a Lampson because of the range required.

The story on this is that the Farmersburg mine had just parked their 2570W walking dragline for repairs prior to the deadhead to the new Bear Run mine. For repairs, the boom needed to be lowered, but the mine was not allowed to use one of their own experienced operators due to the contract or insurance or something, and the contracted company had to use one of theirs. Somehow during the lowering process, the person in the seat pulled the hoist back too much and the mast was pulled backwards into the house of the machine, causing the rear cords of the mast to bend. By whatever miracle, the mast is stuck straight up and did not collapse.

Now the company responsible has to safely lower the boom, so they are bringing in some cranes to do it - a 1000 tonner and 2 near-500 ton cranes (at least). If the machine was to lower the boom on its own the mast would most certainly fail due to the main cords being bent.

Someone has posted a couple of topics on the stripmine.org messageboard with photos. The machine is out of the pit, so it's easy to see from a distance due to its size.

Redjack

Isn't that just the way goes most of the timed'oh!

Chris
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:17:02 PM

a Cutter wrote:
Redjack Ryan wrote:

Redjack

Isn't that just the way goes most of the timed'oh!

Chris

Actually, not really. In the past 3 years, I believe this makes the third time. The other 2 had one of the experienced dragline operators at the mine lower the boom. Not sure why things were done differently this time though. Well, other than make a mess of things... "This isn't my first boom lowering" - not a good choice of words to eat.

Redjack
a Cutter
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:25:34 PM

Didn't mean incidences with the boom handling but that (I guess for lack of a better explanation) Murphy's law was in place......the original op was not allowed to do the lowering...and sothere you have it....

Chris
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:05:28 AM

me thinks im gonna have to see how far away that is.... try to take a road trip..... not that there is any reason for anybody to ever be in Indiana.... the first time ever Indiana has brought anything to the table!!!
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:23:33 AM

DeWoc19 wrote:
.. the first time ever Indiana has brought anything to the table!!!

Other than corn and soybeans, of course Wink

cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:19:56 AM

oh and the um, um, whats it called againThink , the INDY 500, haha, we also have the nations largest inland ship builder JEFFBOAT

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:05:46 AM

cranedude07 wrote:
oh and the um, um, whats it called againThink , the INDY 500, haha, we also have the nations largest inland ship builder JEFFBOAT

yeah i am so not into that NASCAR stuff.... nothing says a good time like watching a bunch of guys drive around in a circle chasing each other for 4 hours!!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAW
a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:15:47 PM

DeWoc19 wrote:
me thinks im gonna have to see how far away that is.... try to take a road trip..... not that there is any reason for anybody to ever be in Indiana.... the first time ever Indiana has brought anything to the table!!!

DeWoc19 wrote:
cranedude07 wrote:

yeah i am so not into that NASCAR stuff.... nothing says a good time like watching a bunch of guys drive around in a circle chasing each other for 4 hours!!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAW

Google Indy 500!.............................yep nothing like the great state of Chicago boasting it's huge suburb known as Illinois....located in good ole America, where Canada and Mexico are actually their own continents of the same name......Canada and Mexico.

Hey dewoc let me know if/when you come down this way. Perhaps we could meet up.
Nothing like meeting up with fellow forum members....especially out in the middle of rural Indiana............yeeeehaaw!WinkAni

MammoetMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:51:25 PM

Hopefully Lampson doesn't have another 'accident', eh, Dewoc!
LOL!

DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:56:11 PM

hoping for a company to "fail" is kind of a crappy thing to say dont you think....
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:21:05 PM

the indy 500 is for indy cars, NASCAR has the brickyard 400 there, i think the indy 500 is actually this month, not sure, i dont watch the indy cars

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
MammoetMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:39:37 PM

DeWoc19 wrote:
hoping for a company to "fail" is kind of a crappy thing to say dont you think....

Look at what happened the last 3 times Lampson tried to lower a dragline boom. The hoist brake failed and people died.

DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:47:43 PM

MammoetMan wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:

Look at what happened the last 3 times Lampson tried to lower a dragline boom. The hoist brake failed and people died.

regardless of if they have had accidents or not hoping for a company to have another accident is pretty horrible thing to ask for.... Mammoet has accidents as well, all companies do..... i think you are a young kid who had no idea what you are even talking about.... but thats just my opinion

oh and did you ever find out what the world largest crane is from your bus driver?
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:59:45 PM

Quote:
all companies do

yeah they do, maxims 18000 came down, and ive seen one of amquips 500 ton mobile cranes flipped over in a creek in person, i dont think it was on the news though, everybody has bad luck at some point, i agree with zach, hoping for that to happen is just wrongShame on you

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Cat 966f
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:01:30 PM

Why can't they just lower the dragline boom like they do with a standard crane? Think

-Vinny

http://www.heavytruckphotos.com/
9wbucyrus
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:07:38 PM

Cat 966f wrote:
Why can't they just lower the dragline boom like they do with a standard crane? Think

Large draglines don't have a live boom hoist. The boom is set at a certain angle with large fixed cables permanently . The boom can be lowered by rerigging the hoist line taking up some slack on the boom,unpin the support cables then lower the boom with the hoist line.

9W Walking Dragline Build Links:
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=117
Scale 4x4 RC Build
http://www.youtube.com/user/Scentlessapprentice9?feature=mhee#p/u/9/59FR27c9BwE
http://imageshack.us/user/caffco
MammoetMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:21:16 PM

DeWoc19 wrote:
MammoetMan wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:

regardless of if they have had accidents or not hoping for a company to have another accident is pretty horrible thing to ask for.... Mammoet has accidents as well, all companies do..... i think you are a young kid who had no idea what you are even talking about.... but thats just my opinion

oh and did you ever find out what the world largest crane is from your bus driver?

Drop the bus driver crappola. Drop it.
I'm merely stating the obvious that Lampson can't seem to lower a dragline boom without having a accident.

DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:26:20 PM

MammoetMan wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:
MammoetMan wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:

Drop the bus driver crappola. Drop it.
I'm merely stating the obvious that Lampson can't seem to lower a dragline boom without having a accident.

well you are sorely mistaken!!! they had an accident with a dragline.... its life, Mammoet just tanked on a rail job not to long ago that was posted on here, guess Mammoet is an epic fail as well

Brandon - when did Maxim's 18000 come down? they have it replaced?