DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1,000-ton crane coming to Farmersburg, IN (Photos Added) Options · View
MammoetMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:31:04 PM

Groups: Member

First off, use Google to find when Maxim's 18000 went down. Save you a spam post.
Second, your approaching a very fine line. Better watch yourself.
Lastly, Mammoet's a hell of a lot better than Lampson.
Edit-http://www.kmbc.com/news/17431678/detail.html

DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:40:30 PM

haha, thanks for the link.... and you say im spaming, i think your entire first post in the topic was spam.... and tell me more about the fine line im approaching, im curious to hear more about that.... but now that you linked me to those pictures, i do remember them bein posted, so thanks for contributing something
MammoetMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:42:30 PM

The fine line I'm talking about is one you just crossed. I'm done talking with you on the forum. Lets berate each other over PM.

DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:44:01 PM

MammoetMan wrote:
The fine line I'm talking about is one you just crossed. I'm done talking with you on the forum. Lets berate each other over PM.

lets not and say we did.... been a slice kid Teeth
MammoetMan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:45:19 PM

What the heck does that mean?
So, lets talk over PM because you've just lost all ability to a have a rational conversation.

ConstructionSite
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:57:33 PM

Slow down a bit everyone...

Here is the Vertikal.net story and DHS post reguarding the 18000 collapse.

- Chris Sad
cranedude07
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:02:33 PM

the Iatan power plant in kansas, i think it was at least 2 years ago, if you go to this link, you can see tons of pics of it

18000 accident

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
a Cutter
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:14:45 PM

MammoetMan wrote:
Hopefully Lampson doesn't have another 'accident', eh, Dewoc!
LOL!
Hope Lampson fails yet again.

Man I hope not as I'm rather fond of Old Glory. Take or leave the big cranes but keep that 2570w up and running!

Chris
Cat 966f
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:59:35 PM

9wbucyrus wrote:
Cat 966f wrote:
Why can't they just lower the dragline boom like they do with a standard crane? Think

Large draglines don't have a live boom hoist. The boom is set at a certain angle with large fixed cables permanently . The boom can be lowered by rerigging the hoist line taking up some slack on the boom,unpin the support cables then lower the boom with the hoist line.

Oh ok

thanks

-Vinny

http://www.heavytruckphotos.com/
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:58:28 PM

Cat 966f wrote:
9wbucyrus wrote:
Cat 966f wrote:
Why can't they just lower the dragline boom like they do with a standard crane? Think

Large draglines don't have a live boom hoist. The boom is set at a certain angle with large fixed cables permanently . The boom can be lowered by rerigging the hoist line taking up some slack on the boom,unpin the support cables then lower the boom with the hoist line.

Oh ok

thanks

Normally, the dragline would lower the boom on its own. As stated there was a mistake during the lowering process and the mast was damaged. Any further attempt without exterior support of the mast to lower the boom would most certainly result in the mast buckling at the point of damage and a major disaster.

MammoetMan wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:
hoping for a company to "fail" is kind of a crappy thing to say dont you think....

Look at what happened the last 3 times Lampson tried to lower a dragline boom. The hoist brake failed and people died.

I'm interested in hearing about the 3 times that Lampson has dropped a dragline boom. All I know of is the most recent with the 4600 ringer failure. Post information to backup your claim.

-Redjack
9wbucyrus
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:32:48 PM

I wonder if the mast had water laying inside the tubing and it rusted, and froze a time or two,thus weakening it and when all that downward force was applied the wall thickness couldn't take it.Think

9W Walking Dragline Build Links:
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=117
Scale 4x4 RC Build
http://www.youtube.com/user/Scentlessapprentice9?feature=mhee#p/u/9/59FR27c9BwE
http://imageshack.us/user/caffco
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:14:43 AM

Nope. Any mast or part of a crane boom will easily bend with external forces applied to it other than what it is meant for, especially when you consider the hundreds of tons of load on the mast.
TimT
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:07:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Ryan, as far as I know the ONLY dragline incident that involved a Lampson crane was the 4600 Transi-Lift crawler crane in AU with the 8200.... Lampson has NOT dropped three dragline booms as the child rudely claims. ...

On another note, What is the matter with you "Mammoet Man"?? hoping for a crane accident??..... maybe people killed?... I can tell you this.... Your no "Mammoet Man".... no one that works for that fine organization would ever hope for a crane accident... from ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. They know better than anyone the tragedy involved. As a matter of fact, for the record, they have had failures and accidents also... Want to bet me on that ???.... How much??? I can show you some red iron layed all over the ground just like all the players in that line of work.It happens. Lampson is a good company and the cranes records speak for themselves. Have you got any idea how many big lifts the Transi-Lifts have made over the decades?? I do. Lampson has a fantastic record. Nearly ALL the few failures that occured involved operator error or misuse/abuse of the cranes involved.
DeWoc19
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:33:01 AM

Redjack Ryan wrote:
Cat 966f wrote:
9wbucyrus wrote:
Cat 966f wrote:

Oh ok

thanks

Normally, the dragline would lower the boom on its own. As stated there was a mistake during the lowering process and the mast was damaged. Any further attempt without exterior support of the mast to lower the boom would most certainly result in the mast buckling at the point of damage and a major disaster.

MammoetMan wrote:
DeWoc19 wrote:
hoping for a company to "fail" is kind of a crappy thing to say dont you think....

Look at what happened the last 3 times Lampson tried to lower a dragline boom. The hoist brake failed and people died.

I'm interested in hearing about the 3 times that Lampson has dropped a dragline boom. All I know of is the most recent with the 4600 ringer failure. Post information to backup your claim.

-Redjack

exactly my point, just a guy that thinks he knows everything about something he is clueless about

Lampson easily has to have over 10 Transi-Lifts which have made thousands of lifts over the past decades.... figure in a couple dozen accidents compared to thousands of successful picks i would say they are easily a 95% success rate..... but i would like him to provide some concrete evidence of his claims as well
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:25:58 AM

I wish no company ill. Both Lampson and Mammoet do leading edge lift work. When accidents happen in very large work, the results are catastrophic and spectacular. This is why we now have lift plans and pre lift engineering to prevent bad things from happending.

Even when looking a spectacular and tragic failure such as Miller Park using a Lampson machine, the greatest responsibility rested with the company for whom Lampson was working and the least with Lampson. The Lampson responsibility was contractually assigned to the party for whom they were working, The crux of the Lampson issue, was when does the operator over rule the wishes of their customer. The managing party failed to consider the wind load.

Ask our forum members that operate lift cranes on a daily basis how difficult it is when they must stop a job and not serve a customer versus the support they receive from their sales and administrative offices.

Additionally when one has two machines sharing a load, the weight transfer between them is a very tricky thing. Any sudden unanticipated weight transfer of weight can upset the apple cart (crane) receiving the sudden weight transfer. What happens when their is further catasrophic failure of the already malfunctioning boom hoist and boom rigging on the mining? Many of these jobs are done under the direction of the mine's or refinery's engineering staff. Hence it is not solely a Mammoet or Lampson responsibility.

These issues go beyond a Mammoet or Lampson, but are issues within the crane industry that are under discussion from mamagement, engineering, operator and legal perspectives.
MammoetMan
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:05:02 PM

I would like to apologize for saying that Lampson fails. I stepped out of line and am now realizing the gravity of what I have done.
That being said, Lampson does some stellar work and I hope the planned lowering of this dragline boom goes off without a hitch.

kerst
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:50:33 PM

And I am curious about which cranes are going to be used for this lift.
Any news?

Kerst

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1096251
Redjack Ryan
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:49:32 PM

I haven't been up there yet, but have heard the 1000 ton crane will have 8 crawlers, so that means it will be a Manitowoc 21000. I may have actually seen a couple parts of it heading North today while driving back home from work.
ssdphoto
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:56:14 PM

DeWoc19 wrote:
me thinks im gonna have to see how far away that is.... try to take a road trip..... not that there is any reason for anybody to ever be in Indiana.... the first time ever Indiana has brought anything to the table!!!

Indianapolis 500 and the Cummins Diesel HQ in Columbus, IN

Stephen SetteDucati, Manager of Marketing and Media
MCM Management Corp.

Redjack Ryan
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 12:21:14 AM

Here's a cell-photo someone took on site. Anyone know what kind of crane that is that's getting set up?

Redjack