DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

LTM-1800 (Mammoet)Finished for now....**pic-heavy** Options · View
AlvinB
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:33:38 PM

Groups: Member

Yeah, I know that Mammoet still has never "really" owned this crane (Van Sumerman had a LG-1550) but still, I think this is my best model to date. I pulled her out of the crate to assemble while I wait on parts for the PC-6800 to come in...

I need to make a few changes and also make sure she is still structural before I take her to the open house in two weeks, and then to BrickFair (www.brickfair.com) in four weeks....

In the crate....hibernating:

All unloaded...and ready to go together....as soon as the operator moves that dang yellow boom out of the way...who is doing the lift planning in this yard!

And here she is compared to the 6800...I think it worked out where they are a bit different in scale, I think one is 1:20 and the other is 1:16...I can never rememberThink Think (I built the LTM by scaling off the of Available tire size, and built the 6800 off the size of the slew ring that I could build somewhat circular) I can't wait till the lady gets home and sees the den/dining room...(I need a bigger house!)

Stay tuned for updates....I have to get this thing together before night falls and the ULF folks show up with their undersized fork trucks and lowboys and try to haul it off!

p.s.....if time allows, I have a bit of an addition to the LTM...but I am not going to spill the beans till I know I can get it done in time!

-Alvin.

The beatings will continue until Morale improves......
ulf
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:42:15 PM

You're definitely straining our resources! I need to contact Nikl Construction and see if Jason has any spare SPMTs lying about! Cool
What does the box full of LTM 1800 actually weigh? That is a LOT of LEGO - it's got to add up... Think
Myggen
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:59:42 PM

Just awesome, the LTM 1800 has been one of my fav models for many many years now, and its the model i want the most, in 1:50 tho :D just pretty expensive with all parts.
But these lego cranes are amazing work, just a bit space demanding :D
AlvinB
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:00:25 PM

I would say that it weighs in the neighborhood of 150 lbs when it is totally packed....Heck, there is about 40 lbs of counterweight that goes with this crane. The "Lego" boxes are filled with steel....

The guys are really hustling this afternoon...they must want to get off in time for Happy Hour!!!

A-frame is lifted, and butt section of derrick installed...

Got her in the final position, outriggers have been swung out and extended...then lowered (soil is very strong...no need for mats)

Operator is checking out the top of the A-Frame...

Got a few of the counterweights stacked on (how come I don't see any support cranes??)

More updates coming soon....

AlvinB
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:15:53 PM

had to add a bit more counterweight to lift up the boom....

Boom is attached and being lifted into position:

front view...bit blurry cause I was straddling the 6800 and standing on one leg...

Still more to follow...had to take a break cause some sort of loud storm blew into the den...I think it was one of those fierce "vacuum cleaner typhoons" I think I heard a few parts being sucked up into the unknown just now....there is a distinct "clicking" sound to Lego rolling down the vacuum cleaner hose!

-Alvin.

gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:05:05 PM

lol I hated that sound!!!

I somehow think you won't be stuck for spare parts though,

is that a little bar in the back ground of the first two pics?Teeth Teeth

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:36:36 PM

Alvin I went digging not long ago and found my old old old old..... lego set 5590 i think it was

need help shipping some LTM1800 parts about Teeth

I modified the truck,stretched the chassis,gapped the rear axles,stretched the sleeper and added the aero roof,also head lights and steering
I was 9 i think when I got the set,so it has been sitting in the dark for at least 15 yrs,she needs a valet Teeth

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

AlvinB
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:51:19 PM

Nice find!!! I never had that set....I have always wanted those old Model Team sets...but they are worth a FORTUNE now....

One of these days I will get around to building some transport trucks for my cranes...I think that is my next step in building

Thanks for the picture and the memories!

-Alvin.

Cosmosman
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 8:12:25 PM

I've got one of those trucks as well, couple of cranes and JCB. Those cranes Alvin are just stunning !!!
Jack.
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:54:19 AM

That Is super Alvin, A few Lego bricks in your house i guess Wink

Heavy Cranes
Alasdair Ryan
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:44:21 PM

nice cranes

i can help you shift you crane pars for you

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/147452Angel
Paul
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:24:57 PM

That is superb work Alvin and the CC6800 also looks huge!.

Applause Smile

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

AlvinB
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:09:54 PM

Jack, there are a "few" bricks lying around....here and there!

Ryan, I think we would need a bigger truck...or lots of trips to move the parts! Teeth

Thorleif, the 6800 is coming along....waiting on parts to finish it up...Now back to the LTM!

The op got the first section of boom pushed out....(looks like they forgot the hook block tho d'oh! )

They slewed her around, and laid her over....what in the world would they do that for???

More to follow......

AlvinB
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:12:46 PM

Well, the weather is crappy here today, so I have actually gotten some building done today!

Here is the reason that the op laid her down....they must have something either very tall to work on, or they are going to be working over an obstacle....

Looks like she is getting a luffer installed!!! (again, I have no idea how they are lifting these parts without a assist crane d'oh! )

The boom sections for the jib are still being "manufactured" so it may be a few days before any more progress is done Whistle

Enjoy the pics!

-Alvin.

nick17nz
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:03:13 PM

I thourght i saw the ULF boys moving the parts into place lol
Formu1fan
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:58:12 PM

AlvinB wrote:
JLooks like she is getting a luffer installed!!! (again, I have no idea how they are lifting these parts without a assist crane )

I just tend to not question ULF's techniques, i guess that's why I'm on OSHA's watch list...

-John
AlvinB
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:33:01 PM

One final update for the night.....then I am headed to bed.

Got the luffer off the ground...I still have to build the reducer section, and then the head though

At least I can walk under it now...

Alasdair Ryan
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 6:50:52 AM

looking good alvin are going to do enything about that cab ?your wife does not look very happy in one of the pics
AlvinB
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:58:25 PM

Well, I have tons of "real" work to do, so this is as far as I am going to take this model before the Open House....

Enjoy!

Thanks for looking!

-Alvin.

DeWoc19
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:34:28 AM

thats just incredible the scale of that thing.... and amazing what you can do with legos now days!!! i mean a fully functional crane...

i love the fact that your g/f is so chill about those giant ass cranes being setup like that.... just sitting there on the laptop watching t.v minding her own business, while you play with your toys and show off to us.... if that was Julie she would be telling me to take that stuff dont like STAT!