Groups: Member

found this on Flickr
all credit for the photos - shawnodo

-Vinny

http://www.heavytruckphotos.com/
AgentAustin
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:53:36 PM

Use that for trenching so they can be over the trench? If not it seems kind of useless. Digging over the side would be out of the question with that.

gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 6:57:32 PM

This is Komatsu's new Tier 4 design Teeth Teeth d'oh!

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

Gd10r
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 7:36:16 PM

Sweet shot, we typically see these types of undercarriages on long haul pipeline jobs. If you have the chance get to a big library and review old Highway and Heavy Construction Magazine articles. Looks like they are using it to compact the trench. This would be an advantage as the machine will not collapse the trench. Thanks for sharing.

Graham

Still Plays with Toys
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 7:39:39 PM

That's how they make a PC400 into a zero-tail swing machineTeeth on that note though, I'm baffled how the counterweight would get banged up...

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
Jimi
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 8:06:40 PM

Eric Pioszak wrote:
That's how they make a PC400 into a zero-tail swing machineTeeth on that note though, I'm baffled how the counterweight would get banged up...

Maybe he was stockpiling dirt on his tracks and thought it would be a good place for it? It always amazes me when a zero tail machine gets scratches and dents on the counterweight.

Great find, any more photos from the job?

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
Cat345bl
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 8:59:32 PM

It looks like they got that undercarriage from a mantis crane. Nice find Vin. As far as the beat up counter weight, you have to add the fact that it is removable, and it could of got damaged while the counter weight was unattached, while it was being stored.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

PileDriving
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 9:28:49 PM

the counterweight still sticks out past the tracks on the front and rear of the machine. damage could have come there. I love the look of this machine. the tracks are able to slide in a out to different widths. This would make a sweet custom model!

Good idea for you Eric!

Justin
DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 9:43:54 PM

yeah the tracks are just able to extend in and out..... looks like to me they use it for straddling the trench, plenty of times i wish the tracks were a bit wider if the trench caved in some and you had to go back in for some reason
Gd10r
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 11:05:28 PM

Yeah guys great comments from all.
Please remember that this UC is probally pretty detachable from the machine. You would not be able to transport it, even with all the special CITY weight laws that are (ahem) "enforced" in the CITY and the buroughs. It would be pretty wide even sidesaddle in my eyes.
There is probally a standard UC at the yard, and this machine may have been attached to the standard UC for a pretty good portion of its life and perhaps used on other projects in its lifetime? The wide UC would be project specific attachment, similar to a bucket?
Judging from the wear and tear, this is probally a 4000 hour machine?? And a good amount of them would have been on a standard UC hence the counterweight damage.
Now any custom builders ready to S T R E C H some model UC for easy bucks?
G

Still Plays with Toys
hummer13
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 11:26:32 AM

I have seen these down here once in a while. I had a bunch of pictures of them just need to find them. Nice find it is a weird looking setup
Who will be the first to do a customThink

JAson

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
elisha32
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 6:22:26 PM

they had one of those by my house

www.youtube.com/312bcat

627push/pull
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 7:58:10 PM

In a perfect world, the people on the ground would be helping the operator, acting as a second set of eyes when necessary, helping watch your tailswing. But in the real world if you ask someone, "watch my counterweight" they watch the wrong end of the machine, or they swing you right into something and then they go tell the boss that you hit something. Unless you have been in the seat, maybe you shouldn't criticize so much, it's easier to be a critic than an operator.

Dump on the edges, the middle will take care of itself.
Never look down on ANYONE! Unless it is to lift them up.
627push/pull
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 7:59:37 PM

Sorry, double post.

dirtboy
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 12:39:55 AM

I'll build one Graham. But I'll need you to send a PC400 and the rest of the parts to my mom's house, plus $83 to cover my costs. Whistle

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

PileDriving
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 12:51:52 AM

627push/pull wrote:
In a perfect world, the people on the ground would be helping the operator, acting as a second set of eyes when necessary, helping watch your tailswing. But in the real world if you ask someone, "watch my counterweight" they watch the wrong end of the machine, or they swing you right into something and then they go tell the boss that you hit something. Unless you have been in the seat, maybe you shouldn't criticize so much, it's easier to be a critic than an operator.

Applause
Applause

Justin
ozcranedude
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:57:39 PM

Not that I'm a dirt guy but it does appear as the out rigger arms are removable, and don't collapse inside like a cranes. The counterwieght is banged up as I would say that this is a a multi roll machine so would change the cofiguration as required for each assigned job.

Wayne
Jimi
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:28:13 PM

I was just being funny as I think Eric was too... not gonna speak for Eric though. Now for me personally I honestly did realize that the undercarriage is probably not how that pc400 came from the factory, nor did I have any belief that you'd haul it without taking off or at least pulling the track frames in. That being said, maybe brushing a tree branch or rarely taping a crumb with the counterweight is nearly inevitable, but you shouldn't need someone there to tell you that you are too close to a pile or barrier or whatever people hit to polish their counterweights.

Instead of a spotter, I personally rely on these shiny things called mirrors, they do work when adjusted properly. Spotters are good for digging around existing structures/utilies (above or below ground). Never seen a crane with paint buffed off the counterweights.. but hey, that's just my opinion, what do I knowThink

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
627push/pull
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:54:24 PM

Jimi wrote:
I was just being funny as I think Eric was too... not gonna speak for Eric though. Now for me personally I honestly did realize that the undercarriage is probably not how that pc400 came from the factory, nor did I have any belief that you'd haul it without taking off or at least pulling the track frames in. That being said, maybe brushing a tree branch or rarely taping a crumb with the counterweight is nearly inevitable, but you shouldn't need someone there to tell you that you are too close to a pile or barrier or whatever people hit to polish their counterweights.

Instead of a spotter, I personally rely on these shiny things called mirrors, they do work when adjusted properly. Spotters are good for digging around existing structures/utilies (above or below ground). Never seen a crane with paint buffed off the counterweights.. but hey, that's just my opinion, what do I knowThink

Jimi, I wasn't picking on you, you don't seem to have issues about counterweights as some people here have, sorry if it seemed like that.
If you are on a big site job, or bailing out of a borrow pit, you have lots of room to swing around behind you and see. If you are on a narrow utility right-of-way (easement), with guy wires for poles going every which way, or a refinery or chemical plant, or on a city street, unless you have a short tailswing machine you literally might not have room to swing 180 degrees. And mirrors are great, but there are still blind spots. If someone is standing directly behind the cw you might not see them, no matter how many mirrors you checked. And if someone (who works there) is standing there doing nothing but watching the machine work anyway, it would be helpful of them to look behind you if you can't see. And cranes generally set in one spot and pick from there they (usually) do not have to continually move to do their job. And if people gave the operator 5 seconds or so to position the machine before screaming "COME ON, COME ON, LET'S GO" maybe counterweight paint might last longer.

apm2754
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:00:02 PM

I think they should just paint the counterweights with rust colored paint from the factory. Then everyone would be happy. Teeth

- Andy