DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Another Episode Of The Last Day Of Someone's Job... Options · View
GC1
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:25:54 AM

Groups: Member

Fair bit of traffic on those rails ..by the shine on them. Doesn't add up with that bridge though.
Jack.
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:44:10 AM

Was the bridge secured with blu tac?

Heavy Cranes
JoeE
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:32:51 AM

PileDriving wrote:
WOW!!!! He was either flying or that bridge needs to be on the top 100 worst bridges in america!

Justin

Canada maybe, but not the US.
That is unbelievable. Driver must of been wearing a seatbelt.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
bigdan45322
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:14:05 AM

DeWoc19 wrote:
no, the bridge is going to sit on a weld plate that is set over some anchor bolts inserted into the concrete, then bolted down.... i realize that the bridge is heavy but no way in f*ck do they just set it on the columns and call it a day, its a railroad bridge, with heavy trains going over it.... not some overpass with the normal car and truck traffic traveling it..... 2 engines sitting on that bridge is over 800k lbs
yes I agree with the anchor bolts being in place but the over all weight is what holds most bridge segments inplace. It insures if there is a earth quake or some other geological event to where the subsurface of the structure to move the bridge would be able to do so without losing it's structural ability to hold inplace. Every new bridge 1988 and newer I do believe is designed that way.

Steel makes the world go round that is why I pride my self with the work I do. I am a proud steel mill worker.
Dan
SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:59:16 AM

Wow double wow.Wonder if the driver 'felt' anything from the sudden jolt. Don't worry Joe will get you another truck soon. If you look at the other section looks like '5.1' m thats 16.7 feet if I read it right. where was that taken? Bob
craneman
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:14:55 AM

This actually took place here in Lloydminster Alberta Canada, and yes from what I heard he was haulin a$$ along with the 240. That is the main rail line between AB and Sask so ya you can bet there was HUGE fines.
Diecast Logger
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:34:19 AM

Wow that is just wired

Mclean Joyce

dain555
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:46:44 PM

Having worked around bridges and an inspector who did bridges there is one side that "floats" and the other is fastened.

All bridges are built with a floating side for expansion and contraction needs of the bridge or the bridge will destroy itself at the joints. This side consists of two plates with a round copper bearing surface that is like 3 inches thick!!

Steel Truss (beam) bridges have a fixed system on the other end that looks similar to a hinge for up and down motion, this is anchored to the concrete columns with shear bolts.

In most cases also the "bearing" plate side is on the outside of the bridge and the "hinge" fixed side is on the column.

I'd say this driver (not knowing where this is) was traveling at a good speed to do this much damage with just the boom of the excavator!!!!

Thanks for the pics, these are awesome!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
ulf
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:27:11 PM

Great set of pics... Applause
craneman
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:58:08 PM

dain555 wrote:
I'd say this driver (not knowing where this is) was traveling at a good speed to do this much damage with just the boom of the excavator!!!!

Thanks for the pics, these are awesome!!

Look 2 posts above yours....
renaultman
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:24:23 PM

Time to put my civil engineers hat on. If you look in the third picture you can see what remains of the holding down bolts that looks as if they've been pulled out like spaghetti. I would say that was down to the bridge failing, not the truck doing 2000mph. I bet the driver hit the windscreen when the bridge fell.

Casi
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:36:08 PM

Wow, pretty work from the driver but was the bridge made from balsa wood?

Greetings

Carsten

Customized load chart books | Crane CAD blocks | Crane specifications
renaultman
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:45:33 PM

Ok, looking at the pics again this is what I think has happened. As the truck passed under the bridge, the excavator boom struck the bridge and then acted as a wedge lifting the bridge vertically pulling the bolts out of the concrete and then with no support and the momentum of the truck, the bridge deck slid off the columns. If you look at the second and third pictures, looking at the bridge deck that is still standing you can see on the left side rub marks/scratches going vertically with a bit of a twist towards the resting point of the bridge deck.

gbarnewall
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:03:45 PM

one for Mythbusters

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

cranedude07
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:16:17 PM

225spinace
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:23:40 PM

Luckily they got the track shut down before a train made an appearance at the scene... that would be a fun cleanup...

Matt

- Matt -
diecast_dirtboy
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:37:37 PM

The good news is there's a CASE and Mack dealer right down the road.

Real men drive diesels!
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:35:47 AM

I would think that the DOT would give him a route with widths and 'heights' soooo he would know and figure how high his load is so as to be safe. I was looking at the damage to the concrete and the deformation of the steel beam. He had to be just poking along-not. This would be another good dio. for someone to make.
PileDriving
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:02:57 AM

SDBOB wrote:
I would think that the DOT would give him a route with widths and 'heights' soooo he would know and figure how high his load is so as to be safe. I was looking at the damage to the concrete and the deformation of the steel beam. He had to be just poking along-not. This would be another good dio. for someone to make.

He's was more than likely running under a Blanket Perment.

Justin
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:16:25 PM

Ok I get the idea but he should know the height of his load 5.1 M is high. i was just parked there honest and the bridge just fell on me.I can try and haul it away if you want fro scrap?