DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

custom air track drill...... Options · View
max
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 12:49:44 AM
Groups: Member

Hi!!
Here's what is keeping me busy these days.......

This is(or will be eventually.....) a Joy Mustang crawler drill.Everything is built from scractc, with the exception of the metal tracks, of course.

Sorry for the poor quality of this one......!!Most of the machine will be made from brass.The hydraulic cylinders rods are made from .032" music wire.

We can see the air tank between both hydraulic cylinders.For the tank, ui used a piece of 1/2" brass tube at the ends of wich i added the "kind of styrene plugs" that you folks see that give the round shape.

Each track frame contains 8 low idlers and one top roller.I built each one of them using a piece of 3/16" brass tube inside wich i fitted a 5/32" piece of brass tube inside wich i fitted a 1/8 piece of brass tube and so on until i had a hole just big enough inside to fit a piece of .032 brass rod to hold the idler in place.Each track frame is linked at the rear end to the main frame and towards the front end with a stabilization bar, that allows the machine to stay level on uneven ground.

For the tracks, i will use Eric Pioszak's 1/2 inch metal tracks that i will narrow as much as i can in order to obtain an appropriate shoe width.
Here are a few shots of the real machine so you guys can have a sense of where i am getting with all that!!

Enjoy!!
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
max
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 1:21:11 AM

Now, i ran into problems when i tried to remove a portion of the metal track in order to get the proper lenght.....

As you folks can see, one of the pins that hold the male part of one grouser into the female part of the next one broke off.
In the past, i manage to take some sections of metal tracks apart by prying with a flat screw driver between two grousers, and it worked fairly well without too much problems.I've done that mostly with Joal metal tracks, and Ertl once.But these are Eric P. tracks and it seems like theire is very little loose between the grousers.The female part of the next shoe is bented but if i am nice with it, i should be able to save it.
Anyway, my question is what should(or CAN) i do in order to prevent more breaking like that?What about heating the shoe(grouser; link.....) over a candle before attempting to take it apart?Anything else i can do??
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Max.

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
towoc999
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 11:54:21 AM

very nice project you have there , not too many of those drills around in scale model .

for the track you can try a little heat ( carful of the paint ) or cold could also do you right,
you can also try to drill the male part on one side and try to remove the grouser, after
you can re-drill where the male part was and replace it with a brass rod of the same size .

keep us posted Max on the project I can't wait to see that drill ready to work !
MartinW
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 12:18:35 PM

Cracking project, I will watch your post to keep an eye on how you get on.

Do you plan on putting the bushes in there too like the real one in the photo? Teeth

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
Lashlander
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 5:12:45 PM

This is going to be a terrific model. Man, the memories that brings up!
Crazy797
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 6:09:43 PM

Mon cher Max, tu es passé maître dans le customizing en brass !!!!! Super projet !!!!

Pat
todd s
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 6:24:58 PM

Lashlander wrote:
This is going to be a terrific model. Man, the memories that brings up!

Mostly nightmares for me, but yes a few good memories of doing some crazy things with one, with the soundtrack of a screaming air motor in the background.

I have not seen a Joy Mustang Heavyweight in a long time.
a Cutter
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 7:11:26 PM

Like the looks of this so far!
I have wanted to build one of these, just like you're doing, but have never had a good specimen.

Applause
Cat345bl
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 8:48:16 PM

Very nice build, there are still a handfull of them around here still. I guess you have to build a air compressor with it too. Here's a 1/1 thats in a local contractors yard, they have about 6 smaller ones too. All look like they have not moved in decades.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

max
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:41:43 AM

Ok, where do i start.......!!!
Theire will be a compressor behind it, it will be the NZG Cat generator mounted on wheels to wich i will make a few small modifications.
CAT34bl, That's James Morrissey's yard in Phila, is it??
I never been there, but last summer, i saw a bunch of them Euclid R35 trucks, along with at least 6 bottom dumps in Bethlehem......that was more than enough to make dream about what the rest of the company use to be........That's INSANE!!!!!!
For those who are waiting for the final product, don't hold your breath!!!Because i started thet one in November and what you guys saw is where i am at by now..I always work on 2 projects at a time, for the sake of changing my minds everyonce in a while.I gotta admit the amount of hours i put on those models is unreal.
Towoc, i will definate,y try to heat the tracks when time comes to put them in the appropriate length.I don't really care about tne paint on them as they will get painted the same color than the rest of the machine(wich i don't know wich color i want it to be yet.......possibly white)
Crazy 797, i still have long ways to go before becoming any kind of master.....all of that is a "test-mistake" thing!!
But i gotta admit that things went way smoother on this one than on the 1066D(that is'nt finished yet......[!!])
Thanks for looking and replying.
Max.

Ironstef70
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:39:57 AM

max wrote:
Ok, where do i start.......!!!
Theire will be a compressor behind it, it will be the NZG Cat generator mounted on wheels to wich i will make a few small modifications.
CAT34bl, That's James Morrissey's yard in Phila, is it??
I never been there, but last summer, i saw a bunch of them Euclid R35 trucks, along with at least 6 bottom dumps in Bethlehem......that was more than enough to make dream about what the rest of the company use to be........That's INSANE!!!!!!
For those who are waiting for the final product, don't hold your breath!!!Because i started thet one in November and what you guys saw is where i am at by now..I always work on 2 projects at a time, for the sake of changing my minds everyonce in a while.I gotta admit the amount of hours i put on those models is unreal.
Towoc, i will definate,y try to heat the tracks when time comes to put them in the appropriate length.I don't really care about tne paint on them as they will get painted the same color than the rest of the machine(wich i don't know wich color i want it to be yet.......possibly white)
Crazy 797, i still have long ways to go before becoming any kind of master.....all of that is a "test-mistake" thing!!
But i gotta admit that things went way smoother on this one than on the 1066D(that is'nt finished yet......[!!])
Thanks for looking and replying.
Max.

I embrace your philosophy about that passion in every points. Time, patience, commitment and experience, and having some smaller projects in parallel so it keeps the motivation level up. There's no other way. No shortcuts, no cheap options, and a subject that's unique and uncommon is also what I prefer. Of course we can afford a boxed "cookie" once in a while, and collecting those we prefer, but there's no such thing as cooking your own, in my opinion.
Keep posting pics man, that's really interesting...Applause

Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 2:54:38 PM

Max I know your are using the ISM tracks, but if you are looking for narrow tracks try the ones on First Gears IH TD175.

Yes JDM has those bottom dumps at Bethlehem for a while. Sometimes they float around on nearby jobs, and they used about 3 of them on a road job back in 2010. They run, but they are very saggy looking. They should junk the fenders, and bumpers and custom fabricate some new ones for them, and paint them. They do have one at their main yard that is in better condition, it just looks like it has not moved in a while.

There are at least 4 Joy Mustangs in the area, JDM has two, Cook Drilling has 1 (actually on or just came off a job), and D'Angelo Bros has one as well I think too.

Not my pics.

Route 202 Construction

Getting Loaded near Bethlehem Steel

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

max
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:52:06 AM

Cat 345bl,
That pic with the Euc bottom dump tells it all.....when the first thimg you notice when you look at the pic is the goggles on the operator's ears, you know what kind of engine get that beast going!!!!!
I gotta admit i am very nostalgic about equipment........iit is hard for me to keep the head cold when i look at Morisseys dark green equipment pictures!!
Theire is an outfit in New Hampshire that specialize in drilling and blasting equipment.They seems to have at least one for sale.They also give a fairly good description of the machine and all of its features......
This machine got introduced in the mid 60's......i wonder for how many years they built it.
Kind regards.
Max.

LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:18:44 PM

Nice project why don't you get one track and saw it in half down the full length ! It will give you what you are looking for.Pin to a flat piece of board first so it can be sliced and you have only the expense of one thread !

Regards
Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
Dan85
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:33:32 PM

EMD has some nice narrow tracks, wonder if they would do the trick?

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
Eric Pioszak
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:14:50 AM

Max,

On my tracks, you really don't need to use a screwdriver like with Joal's tracks. there is a notch cast into the chain, if you bend the track at 90º the notch will line up with the direction of travel, and a slight twist will allow the track to be removed without damage.

Eric W. Pioszak, Operating Engineers Local 701, Portland, Oregon

METAL TRACKS AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Cab guards Available again!
Grapples Available again!
Industrialscalemodels[at symbol]Gmail.com
towoc999
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 11:54:59 AM

Eric Pioszak wrote:
Max,

On my tracks, you really don't need to use a screwdriver like with Joal's tracks. there is a notch cast into the chain, if you bend the track at 90º the notch will line up with the direction of travel, and a slight twist will allow the track to be removed without damage.

very well done Eric ! genius !
max
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:00:44 PM

Eric Pioszak wrote:
Max,

That's interresting.....quite frankly, i did'nt took much time to study the tracks, mostly because the first thing in my minds was to have an idea about what it was gonna look like.....I'll check that out, thanks for pointing it!!
The EMD tracks are interresting as well, i should check them out s well, if it is'nt for this project , it will be for a further one.....
Max.

max
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:58:43 AM

Hi!!
(Sorry for bringing this topic on top of the pile again but......)
.....I am back with more shots of the "little girl"....

Here's what it's gonna look like with the mast.Originally, i thaught the mast was a H-beam inside wich the chain was running, but upon looking closely at my pics, i found out that it is 2 C-frame that are hold together back to back and between wich the chain for the drifter is set.

I need to learn how to use a digital camera.....!!Anyway, what i tried to show here is the feed extention hydraulic cylinder.

On this last picture, we see the stabilisation bar that keep the machine level while sitting on a piece of rectangular brass tube.....
I found one more issue with the tracks.....with a certain number of links, the tracks are way too lose.If i remove one link, then, they become way too tight and are impossible to "close"
What i use to do on my other models to wich i added metal tracks is that i removed one idler on each side, i set up the track to the proper lenght, out it in place and secure the idler(or sprocket, it does'nt really matter.....)with a piece of brass pin.Even by doing this, it is still too tight.I don't know what to do with that; i'll need to figure out something.....
Still plenty of work to do on this one, but it is coming together slowly.I don't know when you guys will get to see more pictures as the end of customizing season is right around the corner, with spring coming.....
Regards.
Max.

HCF
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:06:17 AM

This is going to be amazing. Great work!

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream