DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

custom air track drill...... Options · View
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:09:43 PM
Groups: Member

I have the air track drill and air compressor from Arpra and your custom air track is much more appealing.
EX8000
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:18:47 PM

Very nice custom. Looks better than most of the air drills produced by manufacturers.

"It's O-gauge or no gauge..."
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:35:52 PM

That is a wonderful model Max. Congratulation's !

Now how about a compressor like this one to go with it ? That old run NZG 1/50 Caterpillar Compressor would also do the trick.

Side note : Photo Origin
I forget the Flickr account name this photo is from. Hope you don't mind whomever the photo is owned by. Will remove if there is a copyright problem.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Ironstef70
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:28:37 PM

Very cool brass project. That's up to CCM's standards for sure.

S

Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:50:43 AM

that is an outstanding project you did there , I love old style machinery , your work is impressive
heavyload
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:33:01 AM

wow wow and re wow. Belle job Max vraiment cool comme modeleé C'est une piece d'art

Luc.
digggerr
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:23:22 PM

Max,

That is fantastic work! Do you know how many hours you have in this little beauty? Can you share with all of us how you narrowed the Conrad tracks? They look perfect!!
max
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 1:07:47 AM

digggerr wrote:
Max,

That is fantastic work! Do you know how many hours you have in this little beauty? Can you share with all of us how you narrowed the Conrad tracks? They look perfect!!

Digggerrr,
I don't know how many hours i pt on that old girl as i did'nt count them.....i started back in November of 2013 and worked on-and-off on that model and just got finished.....all i know is that the amount of hours i put in versus the (small) size of the machine is totally insane!!!
To narrow the tracks, i simply used a belt sander and worked my way as close as i could to the middle part of the track (without sanding my fingers!!!) and i finished the work using the Dremel with a 541 aluminium oxide grinding wheel and grinded each side of the track until it was pretty much even with the part that hold each link to the next one(i don't know if you understand what i try to explain.....)
I happened a few times to wonder wether or not i was just wasting my time on détails so small that one would barely notice them.
What else can i expect when i am slave of my own expectations.
For those who compared my drill to CCM models, i would say thet my model is'nt flawless-i guess ccm models manage to have them little flaws as well......
I do strongly believe that air track drills scale models has no meaning if they don't include the air and hydraulic hoses that go everywhere on the machine.That's just my own opinion.....
One thing that i find a bit unusual on the Joy Mustang drill is the fact that contrarly to many air track drills, it does'nt seems to be equipped with some dust cleaning device.Many of these machines has a vacuum system that clear the dust as the drill bore the holes.That way, the drill operator can see what he's doing.Other Wise, dust build up all around the hole and whoever is working on or around the drill is surrounder by a cloud of dust.
HD41,
Your picture of both air compressors is comes from Edgar Browning's book "Roadbuilding Construction Equipment at work-New England green mountains"......
I Wonder how long it would take to become completly deaf by standing between the IR and the big Holman 1800 CFM.......For the compressor, i will use the NZG Cat generator(NZG 210).
Many thanks for the kind words, guys......to build models is lots of fun; to share the result of the work with like-minded folks is the cherry on the cake.
Best regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
mariot
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 12:35:36 PM

Max,

That is one superbly done model of that Mustang track drill! I know what you mean by your statement " What else can I expect when I am a slave of my own expectations": when you set out to build a model such as this, you want it as close to perfect as you can get, even if no one else may notice or appreciate the effort and detail you put in. But, you will see that model every day, and so you want it done just so to your satisfaction. A very well done effort, indeed, and a model you can be proud of.

As for the compressor, The NZG Caterpillar generator model comes as close to appearing as an air compressor. I used the same model for an air compressor that I mounted on the back of the P&H crane for the P&H piledriver with Vulcan hammer.

I agree that the roar coming from the Ingersoll-Rand and the larger Holman compressor shown in Edgar Browning's book must have been deafening indeed. Stand between them, and there went your hearing!! I'm sure the IR on the left had a Detroit Diesel (6-71?) in it, and the Holman definitely had a Detroit, a sixteen cylinder 16V-71, evidenced by the four exhaust stacks.

Now go ahead and make another Mustang, and have the two models up on a rock bank along with the compressors in a rock cut diorama!!
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:32:30 PM

Max, your finished drill looks very nice. I agree you need an air compressor, maybe even a matching JOY air compressor like the ones below.

This should be your next project

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

frusso
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 4:45:39 PM

Cat345bl wrote:
I belive these old drill rigs are still useful today especially the Joy MS2A for doing tiebacks, they are probably a lot less cheaper to run compared to a new rig too. Drove by JDM's yard, the mustangs are still there, they only got rid of 2 or 3 MS2A's, and the air compressor is still down, looks like they tried to to take it apart.

max wrote:
All i can say about that sheepfoot packer device, it is that i`ll bet almost anything that it is Detroit powered, giving the dual exhaust.....
I know Rex use to manufacture all kind of large tractor towed deviced such as Rotovators(I do not what them things are used for-mulching hard material, like concrete, maybe??) and other odd stuff, so maybe.....
Regards.
Max.

I did some research but I believe it is a Bro's, or at least the other one is in their yard is. I dunno know what it has under the hood, maybe a 353, or 371?

Look at this model!
max
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 2:08:20 AM

Cat345bl wrote:
Max, your finished drill looks very nice. I agree you need an air compressor, maybe even a matching JOY air compressor like the ones below.

This should be your next project

Yes, that's what will happen.
Theire will be a Joy 1200 CFM behind that drill.
And with the risk of repeating my self, it seems like that Morissey's yard in Phila would be a field of dreams for a guy like me(Nostalgic, that is)

Mariot, your idea of a rock cut diorama is terrific-it did crossed my minds a few times, but theire are so many things i'd like to add to my fleet of vintage equipment that right now, building twice the same model is'nt a priority yet.

Frusso, your packer looks terrific!!What is it?Did you built it yourself?
I saw your topic on vintage light vehicles, with the TS24 scraper and by the looks of it, you seem to have a very interesting collection of vintage models.
Best regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.