DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

ChandlerYohn Heavy Haulage Models (Tonkin Replicas Capacity Yard Dog Truck) Options · View
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 2:21:04 PM

Groups: Member

Awesome pictures once again CY.

Don't forget the buffer cars between the loaded cars, especially those with rolling equipment such as cranes... Wink

Now, you need a couple rusted hoppers or boxcars Whatever

Flat cars can do if visibility is needed (like before the schnabel) for the caboose crew.

Stephane

Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 3:26:49 PM

This is 1\50 scale railroad?

My collection: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/umf2009/
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 7:39:17 PM

KGV123 wrote:
This is 1\50 scale railroad?

Grigory, most common model train scales are HO (1:87) and O (also called Lionel: 1:48).

Because O scale is very close to 1:50, they match quite well in dioramas, especially when different vehicles (I mean O scale trains and 1:50 trucks).

That allows making dio s as CY does, which would be otherwise impossible unless you kitbashed all equipment yourself.

If you are interrested by train stuff in O scale, Lionel, Atlas and MTH are all manufacturers doing great stuff in North American railroad stuff.

Stephane

Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 9:14:18 PM

Thanks.
I was looking for real 1\50 railroad.
But with all info i gather it not exists. (modern version)

My collection: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/umf2009/
Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 11:31:33 PM

KGV123 wrote:
Thanks.
I was looking for real 1\50 railroad.
But with all info i gather it not exists. (modern version)

Atlas

MTH

Lionel

Here you go!

Then ebay must has plenty too, likely in Europe which may be more accessible for you.

S.

Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 1:56:43 AM

Very tasty pics CY,great to see another collector incorporate some O scale RR stuff into the collection/dios, there are a hand full of guys here who do or have done the same over the years,

The Atlas 2 rail "Master" engines and rolling stock would top the list without going to hand made brass items which are many times the price,the MTH 2 rail Premier,then Lionel who don't do any 2 rail items as far as I'm aware,

Here's a few from my collection, EMD SD70ACe in Caterpillar Demonstrator scheme from Vegas

Atlas UP GP60

Atlas Alco C630

MTH GE AC4400

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cMv09x75LmYK4IvXRCL2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBq7-SQceQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfh732nfk8

I bought my first to pose only as a HH load,then got a powered MTH engine as Atlas didn't do any 6 axle modern diesels,the itch got stronger so I bought the basic MTH transformer and it went from there,the sounds and features from them are great

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

GC1
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 7:19:20 AM

Evening Graham....I see you have the bug bad there....LOL
trakindoman
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:32:11 AM

Thanks for sharing these jaw dropping collections CY.
can't wait longer to see another impressive pics
gbarnewall
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:37:58 AM

GC1 wrote:
Evening Graham....I see you have the bug bad there....LOL

Is it that obvious? lol

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

GC1
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:22:12 PM

It's OK old mate...you are in fantastic company here. LOL
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:40:50 PM

Hi Stephane, thanks for the comments. I did have the flat car between the locomotive and the Schnabel, but it was loaded w/ containers, maybe I should have dropped it down to one 20 foot container. Excellent follow up on the O scale resource links.

Take care and I hope your summer continues to rock!

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:44:42 PM

Hi KGV123, the O scale is 1:48 and works out to about 4% larger than their 1:50 counterparts. NZG does have a line of 1:50 Unimog and Liebherr excavators that come with 1:50 scale track and in talking w/ Ian Webb from Cranes Etc. he said those models would fit onto O scale track.

Hope that helps and thanks for your interest.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:00:01 PM

Hi Gbarnewall, thanks so much for the wonderful comment and your awesome pics. Those Atlas O scale engines are fantastic, I love the detail. I wasn't able to find much in the way of non-powered engines, but I'm really impressed with my Atlas caboose.

I also started looking for an engine to pair with a WSI truck where the haulier normally deals in train transport which is neat that you started out the same way. I have been worried that I will switch over to the "powered" side, but thankfully my apt will limit any expansion plans.

Your Cat demonstrator from Nevada looks awesome. I was thinking about the Cat liveried EMD SD70ace, but passed as it isn't a true livery and I don't have enough Cat equipment to do enough unique train setups.

The dual crane lift on your engine is awesome as well. What material is the support bars under the trucks made of?

Thanks again for all of your comments. Take care and all the best.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:29:24 PM

Hi Trakindoman, very glad you like the pics. I definitely have a lot more projects planned and I just received all of the components for a 70 inch dual lane elevated train bridge which I'm really looking forward to getting set up.

Thanks so much, take care and all the best.

gbarnewall
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:29:39 AM

ChandlerYohn wrote:
Hi Gbarnewall, thanks so much for the wonderful comment and your awesome pics. Those Atlas O scale engines are fantastic, I love the detail. I wasn't able to find much in the way of non-powered engines, but I'm really impressed with my Atlas caboose.

I also started looking for an engine to pair with a WSI truck where the haulier normally deals in train transport which is neat that you started out the same way. I have been worried that I will switch over to the "powered" side, but thankfully my apt will limit any expansion plans.

Your Cat demonstrator from Nevada looks awesome. I was thinking about the Cat liveried EMD SD70ace, but passed as it isn't a true livery and I don't have enough Cat equipment to do enough unique train setups.

The dual crane lift on your engine is awesome as well. What material is the support bars under the trucks made of?

Thanks again for all of your comments. Take care and all the best.

Oh that lift was many moons ago now Smiley , I used brass box section,can't recall what size,in around 4-5mm square,then styrene tube that fit snugly inside the brass box section,glued on thin styrene discs on each end and painted it in grey primer,simulated a lifting beam quite nicely,

I also have that Cat liveried EMD SD70,I later read that in around the time that Cat was buying EMD a license was given to MTH to commission a set number of CAT liveried engines,I think it was a one shot deal so no more will be made after,usually the manufacturers will go back to do a certain engine in the same road name every few years,

I was lucky to pick up the demonstrator version too,I was flat broke when they came up in the catalogue,manufacturers put the feelers out through shops,they gather pre-order numbers then make that amount so a lot of the time that run of engines sells out quickly,sometimes if the shop feels that it will be a good seller they may order in 5 or 10 more,so you can get lucky to pick up either one of those or a cancelled order,then there seems to be a lot more 3 railers than 2 railers,

The Atlas stuff is the best in terms of detail,the twin stacks I have are unbelievable,90% diecast,satin finish to the paint,details as crisp as you can get,super fine lettering all round,there is a good solid weight to them which helps the engine when running at very low speeds,you kinda get a realistic feel as the train rumbles past,

The MTH engines are also great,plastic ABS bodies(yes plastic!! -ducks-) making the detailing super crisp too,opening doors and see through vents and grills,the truck sides are my only gripe with the SD70's,I wonder if someone makes a more realistic truck side as they just bolt on,

You should really get even the simple transformer set up,just to hear the sound of the EMD's two stroke engine,you will need MTH's DCS system to get the full range of controls,you can have the engine parked and throttle it up notch by notch,the roar of the two stroke is amazing,then throttling down is just as good if not better,

I'm trying at the moment to get a steam engine, a 2 rail SP GS-4 Daylight,the problem with steam engines is the price,usually 2 1/2 to 3 times the price of a powered diesel,then the minimum operating radius can hold you back,this is where 3 rail is king

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:14:27 PM

Hi Gbarnewall, that was awesome that you were fortunate enough to secure that Cat EMD demonstrator. One of the trains that I do have is a fictional Canadian Pacific EMD DD35-A and although it is non-powered it still has smoke units, lights and sounds. I got a solid deal on it and I wanted to have at least one Canadian liveried engine, so I've been thinking about getting a controller to activate that engine.

I've just been living my model train experience vicariously through YouTube where there are some amazing setups. I'm really impressed with the number of stack cars you have, that is an incredible intermodal setup.

There is definitely a fair bit of diversity in the level of details of the trucks between, and even within, manufacturers. I haven't seen anything in the way of bolt on aftermarket truck sides, but with a wire bender, some brass, black paint and some patience you can definitely add on some more hose/line detail.

Best of luck with the steam engine add on to your collection. There are definitely some impressive models out there, albeit as you said, at jaw dropping prices.

Take care and thanks so much for the great chat.

czl663
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:23:47 PM

Hi ChandlerYohn,

Which type of switch track(s) did you use for this diorama?

Thanks,
Farrell
RMS Models
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 5:16:39 PM

Farrell,

Looks like Atlas track to me.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:48:11 PM

Hi Farrell, the track sections are all MTH. The switch sections are loads from 60 foot flat cars and lack the components to activate from an electronic switch. I thought they would be a simpler alternative for a static display. Similarly the straight sections are also loads from MTH flat cars (4x per car).

I hope this helps. Take care and all the best.

czl663
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:34:54 PM

ChandlerYohn wrote:
Hi Farrell, the track sections are all MTH. The switch sections are loads from 60 foot flat cars and lack the components to activate from an electronic switch. I thought they would be a simpler alternative for a static display. Similarly the straight sections are also loads from MTH flat cars (4x per car).

I hope this helps. Take care and all the best.

Thanks a lot for the information. Applause