DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Heritage Units in Chicago - UPDATED 6/23/14 (VERY PICTURE HEAVY!!!!) Options · View
DeWoc19
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:58:52 AM

Groups: Member

qball
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 2:09:33 AM

Darn foamer!Teeth

thou shall not over-moderate!!!
MartinW
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 5:46:22 AM

Nice to see something different. That last photo is a good one.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 6:13:37 AM

Maybe I should PM you to talk, not sure if I can here or not anymore even though it's a open forum...

Are the 1/48th's powered? Haven't seen the creamsicle in person yet but did catch the CoG on the Chicago line outside Cleveland last week leading the empty 65R, man that paint job is SWEET!

Keep the pics coming!! It's nice to see something different here!
RMS Models
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 8:42:36 AM

DeWoc19,

I appreciate your posts regarding the railroad industry ! Might not alway comment, but certainly have viewed everyone.

Thanks!

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil
tomcat1191
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 9:46:45 AM

Seen the Interstate last Friday in the diesel shop in Detroit.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Ironstef70
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 9:53:39 AM

Wow, very nice stuff. I also like these huge diesel engines.

Are these 1:48 engines resin kits??? Can't believe you made these from scratch, did'nt you? Applause

S.

Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 10:00:26 AM

THANKS for the pictures. I see no wrong in posting of your pictures. Sometime back there were pictures of derailments and I really enjoyed that. Thanks again

Dave aka dumpster
SDBOB
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 10:30:33 AM

I have the Lionel Monogahela powered and dummy,ES44,Conrail ES44. MTH PRR,and Conrail ES44 powered and dummy. Don't ask I may need therapy at one of those retreats places. Thanks for the pics. I got the Mon after seeing it pulling a coal drag near CHARLEROI.
towoc999
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 11:23:01 AM

very nice pics , I love the scale model ones , very nice , and as far as comments on post it is not what it was 5 years ago ,
I know very well , I posted some customized and not much comments , it does not affect me very much because I customize for ME not for the others but I do love to share with others .

Train wise I like them a lot too , it is a very special trade .
Canadiancollector
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 11:55:57 AM

Nice pics, keep posting I'll keep reading
DeWoc19
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:31:51 PM

Kokosing, yes mine are powered, you can buy them non powered though but they dont come to the proper scale then and I dont like that, shoot me a PM if you need to

Ironstef, no they are not resin, I didnt scratch build them, they are diecast, very heavy models

as far as all the real heritage engines go, I have seen them all now but there is 1 I wasnt able to photograph, NS 8098 Conrail, still waiting for it to come back to Chicago. About a week ago I was 30 minutes to late on catching 2 heritage units parked right next to each other on separate oil trains, man was I pissed.

I guess ill keep the pictures coming, if I could figure out why it wont let me send videos from my phone to my email I could post videos too
gbarnewall
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:40:29 PM

Tasty pics Woc,had no idea you had more engines,the bug must have bit hard,they both look great along with the NS engine,last pic is a good un too!!

Have you any more engines ordered?

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

SDBOB
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:50:32 PM

in Latrobe I see only 'black' or occasional 'run through' units ugh. I guess I'm not lucky.
RMS Models
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:10:38 PM

DeWoc19,

I'm a little confused with your statement: "....yes mine are powered, you can buy them non powered though but they dont come to the proper scale then...."

I have the very same model engines in both powered and non-powered manufactured by both Lionel and MTH and to me the powered and non-powered engines look identical except the non-powered engines have no electronics, motors or drives. What am I missing? What have you noticed that makes the non-powered not to proper scale?

Thanks!

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil
dain555
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:25:03 PM

Great pictures DeWoc!!!! I'm glad to see the model shots too as it makes them more appreciative to see the two together in pictures.

Only wish I could get an O scale model loco for crane load ideas and such.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
DeWoc19
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:46:37 PM

Graham, I dont have anymore on order right now, was thinking about ir but the 2 rail versions I was told are only produced in enough to cover pre orders since 2 rail isnt as popular, and pre orders have been done for a while now, I want a few more but I was thinking of getting more than just heritage units

Randy, MTH engines come in 3 forms as you know. 3 rail powered, 3 rail non powered and 2 rail, I only collect 2 rail cause the real engines dont have that silly roller in the middle to power them, looks ridiculous if you ask me, the only real difference in 2 rail to 3 rail is the trucks, they are more accurately scaled and just look better than 3 rail, other than that everything is the same, my mistake on saying they werent fully to scale, but to me thats far enough off to say its not accurate
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:51:43 PM

SDBOB wrote:
in Latrobe I see only 'black' or occasional 'run through' units ugh. I guess I'm not lucky.

Seems as if the HU's were always on the coal trains, now they're mostly on the money maker trains with coal being down in the gutter. Oil is almost as hot as UPS freight. I've seen a fair share of them run through Buffalo, but have yet to be on one! Sad

Not a HU but the other night a KCS unit came in, SD70ACe, man that paint job was sexy! First time I ever got to see one of those.
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 1:57:47 PM

My truck has a train horn...does that count for this thread?

:D

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
DanielD
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:24:30 PM

Dewoc, Thanks for posting the HU's. I don't get to see too many of them either. Just when I get comfortable about being a model builder/collector, you bring out many of us are also some form of "Train Nut" also. Good to know there are more of us! HA! DanielD