DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Heritage Units in Chicago - UPDATED 6/23/14 (VERY PICTURE HEAVY!!!!) Options · View
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:21:47 AM

Groups: Member

Yeah the 14t terminates in Buffalo, it originates in Detroit-right?

There's a pic of that lash up Zach, I'll find it and post it.

Brandon, EMD for power and GE for comfort! The older EMD's to be (wide body's that have some time on them) are quite the rattle boxes if you ask me. Once a GE starts going they aren't bad, some of them take forever to load and get up to speed.

But if you ask me, it doesn't matter, after having all these foreign units lately besides our own, I'll take a BNSF, the most comfortable and nicely built. They actually have fridges, air ride seats and captain chairs. Unlike our crap chairs that the back only goes up so far, try sitting in one of those for 300 miles!

Where do you live? I run the NKP from Buffalo to Cleveland then we crossover to the Chicago line.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:32:34 AM

The eastbound 206:

The westbound 205:

DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:40:55 AM

Yeah ill second what Tom said, if its power you are going for you want an EMD, they respond much faster to the controls but I dont like the design, I find them very hard to see in the inside, the SD70ACE's and SD70M-2's the way the inside of the cab is built and the position of the conductors seat is very far back and the nose is kind of long, so it leaves a big "blind spot" if you ask me right in front of the engine.

if im going for comfort (which im always after) I want a GE, they are more spacious and the seat layout is better if you ask me, unless you are a student, then its miserable but these GE's dont respond for sh*t to the controls, sometimes it will take quite a few seconds from the time the engineer does something until the time the engine actually responds to said control movement

but Tom is right, those old EMD's are noisy as hell, like the NS 7100 series GP 60 engines idle really high and loud, makes taking a nap really difficult!!!
Glenn Gosline
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:00:16 PM

Perfect pictures, Glenn
Cubanb343
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:01:28 PM

Tom, I am near Erie so I imagine you have to run through here often. I would love to see that nickel plate heritage unit in person. Are the BNSF units built at GE? I've seen them running the test tracks before. Thanks for all the pictures Zach
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:41:21 PM

Just came thru yesterday Brandon, I did that is. The NKP has been thru quite a few times on both NS and CSX oil trains. Check out the website heritageunits.com it tracks all the HU's on all railroads across the US.

I would say most RR's run GE, BNSF has quite a few GE's but a lot of their new power have been EMD's too. NS just got a new order of 1100 numbered EMD units, not sure how many but I can imagine they'll be putting in an order for new GE AC4400s with all the power issues they've had this past winter.
DeWoc19
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:55:10 AM

kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:11:34 AM

Had a consist of 1101/1102 on a coal train back when they literally rolled off the line a couple months ago. That bar code just came thru didn't it? There was a FXE we had last year in the yard and then just last week 2 FXE's with a UP leader, wonder how they are inside of them. The rail fans were/are losing their minds with all the foreign power coming thru. Just seen yesterday a UP still painted in Southern Pacific in the lead.

Those UP's must've been in storage in some place, some "artist" tagged all over the flag on the side of one that came in. Total disrespect enough to do a train but then over an American flag?

Zach or Tom, do you guys get on yardlimits.com forum?
DeWoc19
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:11:37 PM

Tom I never even heard of that, ill check it out
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:45:31 PM

Check it out, it's mostly for RR workers. They have different forums for all the RRs. The hot debate on the NS forum right now is the ADI survey that was sent out.
Ironstef70
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:25:57 PM

Nice stuff DeWoc, you gave me ideas for my dio. I've started buying flat cars... Damn this is contagious...

Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 8:25:54 PM

Tom checked it out today. Seems pretty like a good read. I got my ADI survey just can't get past the questions about the superintendent. Haven't seen ours in probably three months. But yeah the 14t starts here. I've either built many times or doubled it up to leave.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:09:41 PM

Brandon, just read on a railfan page that the NKP should be coming back thru on the CSX line on an oil train.

I haven't done my ADI survey yet, not sure what to write. I believe it also does a pickup in Bellevue from the auto place in Fairlane.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:29:28 PM

Here's the SP today, not my pic but from one of our outbound trains

Yours truly

And I'm still waiting one day for this...

Here's the FXE's from that coal drag

And ever see one of these? A depressed flat car/sailboat?

All pics courtesy of various rail buffs.
DeWoc19
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 3:30:32 PM

sd90
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 9:42:58 PM

Love the photos off loco,s been a rail fan all my life.
Keep them coming sd90.
DumpsterToy
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:03:18 PM

Thanks for sharing the pic. This #765 a passenger engine or a freight hauler? There's an small railroad display about a mile from where we live. They have an old N&W steam engine. They used to run it during the summer months, but no long do that. I would imagine that money problem are the reason. Thanks again for sharing.
DeWoc19
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:13:49 PM

Passenger only, im not even sure the railroad employs anybody qualified to run a steam locomotive, from what I was told they have a separate company or people come in to run it
GC1
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 8:55:31 PM

Love your work lads…great thread…keep it up.

Gary
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 10:41:04 PM

Man I wish they would run an excursion out east! I gotta see the NKP 765.

I did catch the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus Train (the red one) earlier this week, nice easy night of work. Made friends with a couple elephants and pulled the bearded lady's beard. Just kidding about making friends with the elephants, they wouldn't share their peanuts.