DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Conrad Liebherr T284 question Options · View
Gavin84w
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 10:50:47 PM

Groups: Member

The plastic body is a real issue no doubt, i think the real concern comes out of the fact that all the 1/50 scale corporate mining companies will have expensive 1/50 scale repairs needed to be done after the first couple of 1/50 scale loads are dropped into the bed. Really people as long as it replicates it to a tee in dimensions, looks etc. is it really that big a deal as it sits statically on display for the next 50 years on your shelves? If you like it buy it, if you don,t then buy something else
AJG
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 4:49:34 PM

Anyone know if CONRAD will make a Liebherr yellow/white version like the T264 ?
That is the one I'm holding out for...
mol
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 7:12:47 PM

SJDownes wrote:
The dump body of the Liebherr T284 is made from a special strong automotive plastic material and this was done so the body can be detachable from the chassis, to use as a load for a heavy haulage rig.

Steven

Am I missing something here? What has plastic (sorry but “a special strong automotive plastic material” still is plastic!)Shame on you to do with the possibility to detach the dump bed? The material has nothing to do with the method which is chosen to attach the dump bed to the frame. The only advantage for the use of Plastic instead of Metal could be the weight. The model of a heavy haul rig will be stressed lesser by the weight of the dump bed. Maybe I am skeptic but It sound a bit like Conrad sales talk to me. Liar
czl663
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:41:43 AM

mol wrote:
SJDownes wrote:
The dump body of the Liebherr T284 is made from a special strong automotive plastic material and this was done so the body can be detachable from the chassis, to use as a load for a heavy haulage rig.

Steven

Am I missing something here? What has plastic (sorry but “a special strong automotive plastic material” still is plastic!)Shame on you to do with the possibility to detach the dump bed? The material has nothing to do with the method which is chosen to attach the dump bed to the frame. The only advantage for the use of Plastic instead of Metal could be the weight. The model of a heavy haul rig will be stressed lesser by the weight of the dump bed. Maybe I am skeptic but It sound a bit like Conrad sales talk to me. Liar

Totally agree. Nevertherless, metal dump bed is preferred. Otherwise, it's more like an excuse to cut the cost.
Ironstef70
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 11:22:51 AM

czl663 wrote:
mol wrote:
SJDownes wrote:

Steven

Totally agree. Nevertherless, metal dump bed is preferred. Otherwise, it's more like an excuse to cut the cost.

If I wanted to play with plastic toys, I'd play with my son's BRUDERs instead and save money... Confused

Stephane

Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 11:41:59 AM

Ironstef70 wrote:
catkom3 wrote:
As Christian always said," The only difference between plastic and diecast was....a good coat of paint"
Regards
Joe.

... Or a tube of glue; plastic being much easier to break.

True...I really like the feel of metal though. Especially as I am watching $$$ leave my wallet for a model. If manufactures switch to plastic, I expect to see a drastic price reduction.

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
gbarnewall
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 12:14:16 PM

I have to laugh,the cookie collectors holy grail of model features is metal pulleys/sheeves fitted to cranes,and buying after market sets to retrofit older cranes,replacing the plastic ones,which is what the 1;1 versions are basically made of d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

mol
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:18:35 PM

The T284 is priced at €295,- (about $ 319,-) For that you get a model with a lovely plastic dump bed. So the price drop due to the use of plastic is not the road Conrad will follow….
The T282 was around €230,- (about $248,-) for a lot of metal and some plastic parts (rims, grill, bumper, etc) I know this is a model from a few years back when the wages and the metal prices were lower. But still there is simply to less weight in a model to make a deference this big. Last time I looked models were not made of Gold, platinum etc.

gbarnewall wrote:
I have to laugh,the cookie collectors holy grail of model features is metal pulleys/sheeves fitted to cranes,and buying after market sets to retrofit older cranes,replacing the plastic ones,which is what the 1;1 versions are basically made of d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

About the pulleys. I would love to have Nylon (or white plastic) Pulleys on my LR1280, LR1300, HS855 etc. Why? Because they are Nylon on the real crane. As far as I know Liebherr don’t use a special strong automotive plastic material for their dump bed on the real machine…

The difference between collectable models and toys is the value of the product.
Scale models need to have a value in the product itself. This value comes from a combination of Material, craftsmanship, detail and overall Product Quality and production numbers. If the “product value” is gone then the model is no better than the first toy you buy in the local toy store.
Greasemonkey
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:33:29 PM

mol wrote:

About the pulleys. I would love to have Nylon (or white plastic) Pulleys on my LR1280, LR1300, HS855 etc. Why? Because they are Nylon on the real crane. As far as I know Liebherr don’t use a special strong automotive plastic material for their dump bed on the real machine…

So, by your reasoning, no models made in mass production today are appropriate. Because no machine manufacturer makes their real machines out of a diecast zinc alloy.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:43:47 AM

To weigh in on the plastic dump bed issue... I just received my T284. There is a metal plate along the inside front of the dump bed. Overall it feels quite solid and heavy in keeping with a Conrad model. An issue with shipping did arise as two of the frame guide posts along the bottom which align the dump body to the frame were broken and the frame had paint damage on the dump body and the frame. It was minor, but improved packaging could have sorted that.

I don't have a Drake trailer handy to assess if it's wide enough to keep the mud flaps (two of four are removable), and the debris deflectors from dragging on the ground.

The rear plastic pins to remove the dump bed are a tight fit. I used the blunt end of my tweezers to push the inside of the pin out and then gently eased the outer lip out and then inserted an edge of the tweezers and applied pressure on both sides to pull it out. Prying it out would result in paint damage. Once the pins are out they can be adjusted to improve the fit and loosen them up a little.

Overall, this is a solid and high quality model. Although plastic is used for the dump bed it has a superb painted colour match and definitely has a solid and heavy feel that lightens it enough to not overburden a trailer.

On a side note, the Komatsu WA 1200 loader can be posed loading the T284.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 2:48:27 PM

ChandlerYohn wrote:

Overall, this is a solid and high quality model. Although plastic is used for the dump bed it has a superb painted colour match and definitely has a solid and heavy feel that lightens it enough [b]to not overburden a trailer[/b].

As he states here in this quote and Mr.Downes has said........more complimentary for using as a load. Certainly someone or few would gripe that their trailer sagged or broke because Conrad didn't have enough sense not to make the dump bed so heavy.....please.
If Conrad really wanted to screw with collectors, in efforts to offer them a removable bed to use as a load on a trailer, they could've kept the bed on the T284 non-detachable. Then just to rake in the $$$ they could just sell a separate dump bed for an exceptional extra price.
I think they (Conrad) we're thinking well on this one.Applause

Is that what happened to the fabled Behemoth haul truck company Brian?.......trucks wouldn't hold up, for using zinc alloys?
MAMMOETZEALOT
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 11:45:59 AM

is it possible to DIY the dump bed and as well as R9800's tracks?