DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Big Caterpillar Diecast news Options · View
Gavin84w
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:52:09 AM

Groups: Member

NEW CAT® SCALE MODEL LICENSEE

Custom Originals Australia is pleased to introduce Diecast Masters, as the new Caterpillar® scale model licensee
Although new to the program as a licensee, Diecast Masters management has a rich history of brand and product development for Caterpillar, spanning 26 years. Specific to scale models, Diecast Masters owners and managers have been involved in manufacturing and distributing Cat diecast for more than 14 years.

The focus of Diecast Masters’ business will be 1:50 scale model replicas, although 1:87 and other scales of models will also play important roles within their Cat scale model line. Production will commence immediately with some models available through a worldwide distributor network before the end of 2015.

Diecast Masters was formed through the purchase of the Cat scale model businesses of both Norscot and Tonkin Replicas. Many of the former Norscot and Tonkin items will constitute the basis of the Diecast Masters line of Cat scale models, especially in the early stages. Diecast Masters is also launching an aggressive program of new model development that will be evident in full force during 2016 and going forward from there.

Custom Originals Australia will remain the exclusive distributor for Diecast Masters covering the Australia and New Zealand region and look forward to presenting the extensive new range that will be available shortly, including some very exciting brand new releases and concepts for Cat Diecast scale models.
Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:05:10 AM

I did wonder how long it would take for this news to reach here!

Paul R
RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:10:30 AM

I'm confused, is this company a joint venture from Tonkin and Norscot or something new altogether? If so, will Norscot and Tonkin continue with other licences? I wonder what the reasoning behind this was? I really hope they will absorb other projects, I was really looking forward to the Norscot 390F.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:15:42 AM

Rowan,
It is something new altogether. Basically licenses were sold to another company, so neither Norscot or Tonkin hold the CAT license anymore.

Paul R
RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:15:54 AM

After further thought, if they have been producing models for CAT for that long, perhaps they are one of the Asian model manufacturers who built for Tonkin and Norscot going out big for themselves?

Rowan.

Gavin84w
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:16:15 AM

RowanH wrote:
I'm confused, is this company a joint venture from Tonkin and Norscot or something new altogether? If so, will Norscot and Tonkin continue with other licences? I wonder what the reasoning behind this was? I really hope they will absorb other projects, I was really looking forward to the Norscot 390F.

Rowan.

Diecast Masters was formed through the purchase of the Cat scale model businesses of both Norscot and Tonkin Replicas
RowanH
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:21:39 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Gav.

Rowan.

Brett G
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:53:40 AM

& there using Startrack as there courier - 3 times STARTRACK have pulled up (from another model dealer that uses them) NOT ONCE knocked on the door just threw a noone home slip in the mail box when i've been home sitting in the room next to the front door. There closest depot is a good 100klm away , all 3 times i called there complaint section about there incompetent drivers nothing been done. took another 3 days before they redeliver. PISS POOR COURIERS. ........ Read the complaints about STARTRACK - https://www.facebook.com/pages/StarTrack/376813769047012?fref=ts Good luck receiving your models when your expecting them Whistle

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

admin
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:11:43 PM
Groups: Administration

Gavin got to announce before we did - just received the news this morning. It is finally official.

We will keep you posted on all of the happenings - stay tuned!

Chuck

kwabbus
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:58:40 PM

admin wrote:

It is finally official.

We will keep you posted on all of the happenings - stay tuned!

Chuck

Thanks for the confirmation! Exciting news. Looking forward for more news, announcements, photos and asap the news models Teeth

Wouter
rmkulak
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:28:52 PM

Hopefully this is a good thing. From what I've heard the CAT deal really bogged Tonkin down. I also hope that through this there will be new 1/87 models made.
Barkerjoh
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 4:05:47 PM

Would like a new backhoe updated and a skid loader in 1:50th.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:43:16 PM

Hope someone can get it together, just like CCM. But I can't buy every CCM Cat piece so the cheaper Cat models will suffice!
Ross Fowlie
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:48:44 PM

I heard about this rumor at the DHS Open House (not from our host mind you) but didn't want to say anything due to it being a rumor at the time. From what I heard, the owner of Diecast Masters was the financial packing behind most of Norscot's models and finally got fed up with the way Norscot and Tonkin were conducting themselves and said screw it, I'm going to take over and make CAT scale models. Lets hope this new company has what it takes to make quality CAT models at fair prices and add some diversification to the types of CAT models being produced.

Ross
The Contractor
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:08:20 PM

Finally some good news on CAT Scale Models. I hope that the new mfg will produce models from each business unit within the Caterpillar product line whether it be BCP, Paving, Waste, Quarry and Aggregates, Heavy Construction and I guess Mining.............lol!
RowanH
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:50:30 AM

The more I've thought about it, the more I realise that I'm kind of indifferent about this decision. I optimistically hope they will produce fantastic models however this needs to be mentioned. While many people were understandably frustrated with Norscot and Tonkin due to poor QC and low detail, what they did offer was a different price point. Don't get me wrong, I will happily pay for any CCM piece because I believe they are worth it but for those who can't afford to pay more, Norscot and Tonkin did offer a decent alternative. Personally, I Hope the new models continue to fill the price gap as they did previously.

Us model collectors really are hopeless, we complain when no new models are released then we complain when there are too many to try and purchase. We complain when there isn't enough detail and then complain if a detailed model comes out and costs too much. I don't know how the business owners put up with us really haha.

Rowan.

mol
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:59:15 AM

I am not sure if it will be any better than before. Price and quality of Norscot was In my opinion not in balance. The Tonkin models which had no QC issues were not bad. I always wonders why WSI can make a good model for a reasonable price (Hitachi 870 and Liebherr 974) and Norscot ends up with a 374 as the best they can. The greatest concern I have is that OEM’s like CAT set the budget for a model and not the model manufacturer (Although their profit margins have impact on the budget) I don’t think anything has changed at CAT so I don’t expect the models from Custom Originals will be any better.
Also I found this text on the internet:

“Diecast Masters owners and managers have been involved in manufacturing and distributing Cat Diecast for more than 14 years”

It concerns me because it means that the same people who presented us the models over the last 14 years are still in control!
MartinW
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:47:30 AM

mol wrote:
The Tonkin models which had no QC issues were not bad.

I laughed that hard then that coffee came out of my nose.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
KyleS
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:14:01 AM

So much for getting my 555 Skidder.

It sounds like the new company will be based in Australia?

- Kyle
lucky72
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 11:18:44 AM

I am ok with the take over. Lets see if they bring the price down as Norscot,and Tonkin were getting over priced.