DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

3J&G 1:50 models collection. Options · View
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:13:52 AM
Groups: Member

The "futuristic look" excavator, designed by the Italian company Beltrami, from which production rights were taken-over by Massey-Ferguson in 1968:

Regards.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:23:44 AM

GuyM wrote:
Some "oldies", dating back from the seventies [...]

I have noted that 2nd and 3rd pictures were identical, with 2nd posted twice. Here below the missing picture:

Regards.
Guy
groundedpilot
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:46:07 PM

Sorry Guy,

The Massey Ferguson model was made by NZG and not Gesha.

According to the guide published by Brandon Lewis the model is wearing the number 106 and has 3 color variations
GuyM
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:47:13 AM

Groudedpilot,

You're right: the Massey-Ferguson excavator was produced by NZG and not by Gescha, as wrongly stated in my topic.

Regards.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:15:13 AM

Some vehicles in Jean-Paul's fleet. The tanker behind the Volvo tractor was built by Jean-Francois from a vacuum cleaner pipe section:

To be continued.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:23:16 AM

An old Berliet truck delivering its load of cement bags (Minicirque modified kit) and an US railway company Mack used for timber haulage (Corgi):

Regards.
Guy
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:13:55 AM

Guy: I also have some of those Corgi LJ Macks. They look great with many different trailers. But put on the mirrors and horns in your pictures!! Craig
Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:23:28 PM

Guy thanks for showing the pictures of the real Howitzer. Love the older Conrad models and also your “Dyson” tanker.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 3:34:50 AM

Work in progress on modifications that I wanted to realize for a long, long time (maybe since I received my 1st Citroën Dinky Toys when I was a kid last century!).
I have used for that a much more recent Atlas repro of the famous Dinky model in a 1/50 scale, that can be easily found in all press shops:

- Citroën U23-50 4x2/2 light truck equipped with a Set 7 beam and lifting gear assembly ex-Army GMC (Atlas/Dinky Toys model being modified with a Verem GMC Set 7 item) and Sedelmayer Ruck-Zuck 05(*) 1-axle modified recovery trolley (homemade),
- Citroën 1200CK 4x2/2 van (Dinky Toys model being modified)

Note (*): on the Sedelmayer trolley, it is possible to lower its wheels, thanks to a ram located under the chassis, and to get the basket down to ground level. The vehicle to be towed away is hand winched onto the basket, then the trolley is hydraulically lifted back in towing position. I have chosen not to replicate these movements on such a tiny model.
Are still to be progressed the wrecker cab glazing and seating inside both models.

Regards.
Guy
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 3:38:40 AM

Berkhof Jonckheer bus on a DAF SB 250 4x2/2 chassis (Lion Toys model)

Regards.
Guy
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:45:36 PM

Guy great tow truck yOu own there, a great shot would be one of those First Gear rotators next to yours.
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 7:22:39 AM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Guy great tow truck you own there, a great shot would be one of those First Gear rotators next to yours.
Steve

Steve,

Here they are, not the same period (except for the outer ones) and playing in different "leagues" on both sides of the Pond:

From left to right: the Citroên U23-50 light tow truck, the Kenworth T880 with its Rotator 1140 recovery body and an ex-Wayne ambulance Dodge T214-WC54 modified locally into a light wrecker (mods on-going)

Regards.
Guy
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 12:50:59 PM

Guy thanks for the pictures of now and then, what a difference progress makes. It’s great to see how an idea gets updated over time, from hand cranks to hydraulics. Thank God for engineers and designers.
Thanks again Guy.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 2:01:29 PM

Thanks Guy: Alan Smith made some great wreckers too. Can you imagine if Chuck made some? Those First Gear ones go for a very high price on Ebay. I wouldn't touch them though. They probably fall apart like Rhode Island excavator operators. When are you going to run out of trucks...etc? Craig
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 5:23:52 PM

Craig,

I suspect that wreckers are difficult to model, that's why there are not many in a 1/48-1/50 scale.
I agree with you, A. Smith was probably the one producing most wreckers in these scales:

- I have one from them, their US-Army 6x6 Diamond T 969, built from a kit in a civilian version:

- Another one in my collection was made from an A. Smith Jige-Lohr body, fitted onto a Joal Volvo FH 6x4 truck. It has been waiting for a final coat of paint and Falk decals for almost 20 years:

But don't forget the one produced in the 70s by Corgi Toys, the Ford/Holmes unit below:

I hope it helps.
Guy

modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 8:18:48 PM

I remember having that Holmes wrecker.Teeth If I recall,the cab tips,revealing the engine,nice.Really good seeing those Corgi trucks,looking so good!No chips,still got bits in the right places.
GuyM
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 3:15:23 AM

modelmaniac,

I like that old Corgi Toys Ford wrecker as well: that was a nice piece of engineering at that time, even the engine had a separate cooling fan!
Here below both versions - pictured in the previous post - from my collection (I have another one in blue waiting to be modified into a 6x4 tractor towing a Fruehauf-US 2-axle tank semi-trailer):

- On the left: Ford HDT 1000/235 4x2/2 truck fitted with a 2x10 tonnes capacity Holmes wrecker body (modified Corgi Toys)
- On the right: Ford HDT 1000/235 4x2/2 tractor (modified Corgi Toys) and 32' Fruehauf-US FB-F2-32/150/96 reefer semi-trailer (modified Norscot model, to be repainted)

Just for the fun, a third picture of these vintage Corgis:

Regards.
Guy
modelmaniac
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 10:14:14 AM

Please make sure you post pictures of the blue,6x4 tractor,when complete.I really want to see that truck.Oh yeah,I remember that fan,great looking engine.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 11:15:09 AM

Guy I to would love to the 6x4 Ford your modifying because I’m sure it will turn out fantastic. Have you ever got rid of a model you owned since childhood? Your collection seems to be as old as that senior citizen from NC, his first look at a tow truck must have been when a Tyrannosaurus Rex was hauling a Brachiosaurus back home for dinner, and at that point in time (BC) he was already dreaming of the cabover.
Guy those Corgi’s look like they are in pristine condition for their age, can we say the same about the Q?
Steve
GuyM
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 3:33:31 AM

Gents,

I'm afraid that you'll have to wait to see the Ford 6x4 completed as I haven't gone very far to-date:

I concentrated so far on the Gué tanker (a Brazilian model, I think), which was OK lengthwise but too wide. I cut away the access platform and manholes on top to be able to saw the entire tanker down to correct width, then glued sides and top part back. Everything else is still to be progressed.

Steve,

To answer your question " Have you ever got rid of a model you owned since childhood?" , the answer is NO but some of them are in a very poor status and not in the right scales I'm concentrating on these days. Moreover, you can find today on the web very old models for sale at a good price, providing that you don't look for a pristine condition and boxes: that's where I get some "oldies" of mine, to be modified.

I hope it helps.
Guy