DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Big Horse for heavy haul.. Options · View
zomm1781
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 1:08:32 AM

Groups: Member

John have you ever heard of a company called standard container? i think they were located in port elizabeth. JB from Casey told me they almost bought Casey's beam buisness in the late 70's. i was wondering if anyone had pictures of there trucks

45LMSWM
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 1:19:27 AM

zomm1781 wrote:
John have you ever heard of a company called standard container? i think they were located in port elizabeth. JB from Casey told me they almost bought Casey's beam buisness in the late 70's. i was wondering if anyone had pictures of there trucks

Standard Container was owned by Thomas Petrizzo and was later known as A.J. Ross Logistics. They were last located on the Raritan River in Keasbey, NJ, right next door to Carborundum under the Driscoll/Edison Bridges. They operated a Mack M45SX for a while that is or was owned by Hallamore...one of two they owned. The one with the chrome air horns was Standard's truck, the other M45 was Gerosa's.

Standard's M45 was bought new as a tractor and was featured in a Bulldog Magazine at the time. Their trucks were painted a greenish-blue, almost teal color. They owned Conforti's 1951 wobble wheel for a while, which was actually Gerosa's new.

Standard did a lot of work in the Port Newark, Port Elizabeth area around the same time as Hoffman, and both exited that business around the same time.

John
GC1
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 5:14:15 AM

TimT..never a truer word spoken and as Bob stated ...a very good and entertaining post..Cool

Here is some great heavy stuff from Europe..luv the Euro stuff..http://www.ditzj.de/html/en/trucks/daf/liebregts95xf.html

and another with AC 650 bits....http://www.ditzj.de/html/en/trucks/daf/dekil95xf430.html
Lil' Danny
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 8:11:21 AM

Great information John and Zomm. Love to read about this stuff.

Anybody find there pictures of E.J. Davies trucks ?

- Danny

JoeE
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 9:37:54 AM

John,
I need to see pics of the 13 axle trailkings please! Pray

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
JesseP
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 10:15:47 PM

Hey John, it's funny you mention A.J. Ross... My father, was Tommy's right hand man from the mid eighties until the very end of that company, and the other "names" that we're formed as it dwindled down..I practically grew up in those fab shops as a kid on saturdays, and than the mill over in sayreville in the nineties....I could tell ya's some stories...Shhh
45LMSWM
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 10:33:58 PM

Here is a pic of the two M45s from Hallamore taken by Mark Redman and posted on the Hanks site. Truck on the left is number 330, formerly owned by Standard Container. On the right is #230, originally owned by Gerosa.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/mark_redman/mar2003/hallamore_mack.jpg

Somewhere on Hank's site there is also a photo of one of A.J. Ross's 1950s Autocars, but I cannot seem to find it. Standard Container also bought out Dandignac Trucking of Staten Island, who was a player in the heavy haul business in the 50s and 60s.

John
RayT
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:51:17 AM

TimT wrote:
Good stuff guys!!.... Weight laws... Just another way for the states and big government to pick the pockets of the people realy. Soon you will need a pemit to use the toilet. Now we are going to be told what kind of car to drive, what kind of health care to have, how much money we can make, ... and the list goes on and on. Its not realy funny at all. Its scary.. remember Hitler, It was not all that long ago. People need to wake up. ... sorry, had to say that.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-08-02-minneapolis-bridge_N.htm

This seems to be as good as reason as any for weight limits to me Tim

Ray...

Nostalgia is not what it used to be
apm2754
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:58:42 PM

ray t wrote:
TimT wrote:
Good stuff guys!!.... Weight laws... Just another way for the states and big government to pick the pockets of the people realy. Soon you will need a pemit to use the toilet. Now we are going to be told what kind of car to drive, what kind of health care to have, how much money we can make, ... and the list goes on and on. Its not realy funny at all. Its scary.. remember Hitler, It was not all that long ago. People need to wake up. ... sorry, had to say that.

Ray...

You're comparing apples to oranges Whatever

- Andy

screed4713
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:16:54 PM

Minnesota is an 80,000 pound state that enforces frost laws. They have some of the strictest weight laws in the country. Connecticut is another state that is crazy about weight laws. New York allows 120,000 pounds on the interstate down state and 117,000 statewide. Our tri axle dumps can be 79,000 downstate and 77,500 state wide. Our heavy hauling is determined by axle and tire ratings. New Jersey allows 80,000 on a tri axle and 70,000 on a ten wheeler. And the heavy hauling I believe is 800 psi on a tire. I don't see bridges falling down in NY and NJ. And our bridges withstand higher axle loads, shorter outer bridges and probably four times the traffic that bridges in Minnesota and Connecticut withstand and I don't see bridges falling down here. Keep in mind that our bridges are double the age too.

Gross weight should only be limited by # number of axles, axle spacings and outer bridge. There shouldn't be a gross weight cap. Canada runs much heavier weights than the US, I believe B-trains gross 138,000 pounds there and bridges don't fall down in Canada. Europe runs 97,000 pounds on six axles and a much shorter outer bridge and their bridges don't fall down. And I'm not going to even bring Australia into this.

The US has the most unproductive weight laws in the world. With a country as vast as ours we should be running B-triples on the interstates like Australia. NY run turnpike doubles at 143,000 pounds on the NYS Thruway. The rest of the US should actually take a lesson from the Northeast. Maine, NH, Mass, VT, and Rhode Island, all run 99,000 pounds ( Maine 100,000).

It should be based on Axle groups weights.

20,000- single axle
40,000- tandem
50,000- tri dem
60,000- quad
70,000- quint.

Each axle group should be allowed to carry maximun weight as long as the axle groups are more than 9'1" apart with and unlimited gross weight.

Just my two cents (maybe a little more than two cents)
Todd
Greasemonkey
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:27:06 PM

ray t wrote:

Ray...

Quoted right out of the article you posted the link to.

"Minnesota officials were warned as early as 1990 that the bridge that collapsed into the Mississippi River was "structurally deficient," yet they relied on patchwork repairs and stepped-up inspections that unraveled amid a thunderous plunge of concrete and automobiles."

If it was structurally deficient, weights should not have been restricted across it, the whole thing should have been shut down. I don't believe this has anything to do with what you are saying.
ConstructionSite
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:45:40 PM

Greasemonkey wrote:
ray t wrote:

Ray...

Quoted right out of the article you posted the link to.

"Minnesota officials were warned as early as 1990 that the bridge that collapsed into the Mississippi River was "structurally deficient," yet they relied on patchwork repairs and stepped-up inspections that unraveled amid a thunderous plunge of concrete and automobiles."

If it was structurally deficient, weights should not have been restricted across it, the whole thing should have been shut down. I don't believe this has anything to do with what you are saying.
That article was written 5 days after the collapse occurred and was written well before any real facts were known. That article was written while the bodies were still in the water. That article was written before anyone actually knew anything and was quickly put together to get someting in print. The reporter listed 5 dead with 60 injured...it was actually 13 dead and 145 injured. Don't take everything you read as gospel.

ray t wrote:
TimT wrote:

Ray...
How Hitler, health care, preavailing wage and unions got into this...that I do not know, but the classification “Structurally Deficient” is used to determine eligibility for federal bridge replacement and rehabilitation funding. In a nutshell it is the equivalent of "great", "good" and "poor" but with big fancy words. Bridges are classified as “structurally deficient” if they have a general condition rating for the deck, uperstructure, substructure as 4 or less. A general condition rating of 4 means that the component rating is described as "poor". The fact that a bridge is structurally deficient does not imply that it is unsafe. The structurally deficient rating typically means a bridge needs maintenance and repair and perhaps eventual rehabilitation to address deficiencies. To remain open to traffic, structurally deficient bridges are posted with reduced weight limits.

The collapse of bridge 9340 was due to factors well outside this discussion. I was there August 1st, I lost a friend and I tend to become sensitive when it comes to I35W bridge discussions. I am sorry if I come across as being harsh, please understand that I am not.

- Chris
45LMSWM
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:56:09 PM

Currently, NJ State law allows heavy haul vehicles using "S Plates", or specialty weight tags, to gross up to 800 pounds per inch width of tire. This is a special registration for the trailer only and you get a different sticker for your license plate each year with an "S" over the year. You have to get a separate permit for dimensions, but you currently do not have to have approved routes or anything. The wording of the law is rather vague, and to my knowledge, it does not say anything in regards to actual manufacturer's rating of axles, suspensions, tires or rims, Manufacturer's GVWR, or trailer rated capacity.

This is all about to change drastically as NJ has already informed owners of specialty weight registered trailers that the end is near and soon you will have to submit complete applications for permits including axle spacings and weights, routes, etc. The 800 pounds per inch formula will be gone as well, believe they are going to something like a 25,000 lb per axle limit.

It should be interesting to see what happens. I would say 75 % or more of the NJ based lowboy operators run without permits everday of the week. Not uncommon to see 1 chain per machine or none at all. The company I work for gets permits for everything, and we are forced to compete with many people who do not. Hopefully they will also lean on the dump truck operators as well, who are usually well over 100,000 on a tri-axle dump truck.

John
RayT
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:30:53 AM

Maybe that particular bridge was not the best example I could have used.

However as screedd4713 said in his post, "They, (Minnesota State) have some of the strictest weight laws in the country". That maybe makes my point. all I was trying to point out was that you have these rules for a reason.

Ray...

Nostalgia is not what it used to be
GregP
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:08:49 AM

First, I have to say to John at Conforti, and Lil Danny, I have the utmost respect for what your guys, and the companies you work for, do to make a living. There is nothing wrong with doing what you do, so long as you follow the states guide lines. My "boot legger" comment was not to accuse anyone of boot legging. My words came out too harsh, and I am sorry for that.

The bottom line, is that the American Interstate bridge infrastructure is severely deteriorating. This has been clearly noted in the Obama Stimulus plan! Bridges that were designed and built in the era of the constrution of interstate highways, were not designed to last as long as they have, with the volume of traffic that they carry in todays world. Especially at the speed that todays vehicles travel.

The modern day bridges, with the longer spans, over wider highways, cannot handle high amounts of concentrated weight. This is why todays trailers are designed the way they are, to distribute weight. A modern day 19 axle, with a 30' bed, is approx 180 feet long. Now if you do the math, a 19 axle crossing a 4 lane interstate, with a center support column, only exerts about 50% of it's gross weight on a single span of the bridge.

Also, speed restrictions are becoming pretty severe with extreme weight. It is one thing to cross a brige at a crawl speed, it is a totally different ball game in physics when you cross at highway speeds. The impact of a truck hitting a bridge at 55 MPH vs 5 MPH can cause up to a 50% increase in weight exerted on the bridge. This is due to the bounce that you get from the initial impact. Hey just ask Diamond Heavy Haul about that one.

A few years ago, Diamond lost thier Permit rights for the state of NY for one year. Thhis was do to the fact that NY state has remote impact recorders on some of thier "low impact" (crawl speed) bridges. The state, in fact, recorded impacts that exceeeded the design rating of three structures, due to the drivers lack of following orders by the state. This was proven through impact recorders what type of shock is exerted on a bridge when it is hit at a highway speed, with nearly half a million pounds.

Bridges are designed in the same manor of the trailers we use. They are rated to carry X amount of weight, in X amount of area. Over time, high tensile steel does lose it's eleasticity. Example. I have a Diamond 9 axle in my fleet that had 8.25 inches of camber when it was new. Now, it is nearly 4 years old, and has had upwards of 100 loads on it. Now it only has about 7.5 inches od camber, and has never been overloaded.

chessiegp39
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:00:23 AM

45LMSWM wrote:
Hopefully they will also lean on the dump truck operators as well, who are usually well over 100,000 on a tri-axle dump truck.

John

Now John, don't be bringing us dump truck guys into this mix. Everyone knows that we NEVER do anything wrong or illigal. Now I only have tandems so I can't speak for the tri-axle guys.

But you are right. Things will change very soon. We have never run overloaded but some of the stuff that I see, I just wonder how they keep the trucks on the road and not going over. We had a tri come into our yard once to drop soil, tipped the scale at 128K. We had our loader ready just incase we had to pick him up off the floor while he was trying to off load. Best item of this driver was that he only had his CDL for 1 year! Talk about the perfect storm.
apm2754
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:37:38 PM

I saw a T800W with a 3x3x3 trailer setup here in Wayne this week. Hauling a PC650 without counterweights & bucket. Sweet rig. It was from NY somewhere. Looks so out of place in NJ. And of course I didn't have my camera Whatever

- Andy