DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Fresh Kills RH120C picture request Options · View
Plow Chaser
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:04:01 PM

Groups: Member

Someone needs to get in there and take some photos!!! Look at those Payhaulers!!!

http://hankstruckpictures.com/ryan_pedone.htm

http://www.youtube.com/plowchaser

www.allreadymix.com
Cat 966f
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:10:18 PM

I was in the landfill about 3 months ago. Alot of the ADT's and the Payhaulers are gone out of there. Most of the other stuff is still there though. I seen 2 payhaulers and maybe 10 D400E's.

Tully Construction has a bunch of stuff there, smaller stuff, but I think its there since there capping the place.

-Vinny

http://www.heavytruckphotos.com/
Cat 966f
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:34:34 PM

CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:41:20 PM

Cat 966f wrote:
Hey Josh,

You ever live over here or something? You know a damn lot about the place.. lol

Ha nah, I've lived here in VA all my life. I've just always thought Fresh Kills was pretty interesting.
45LMSWM
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:40:54 AM

For those of you with a sharp eye, you will find NYC Sanitation's Payhauler wrecker in the fourth aerial shot that Carl posted. That is quite a unit in itself. Saw it at work quite a few times over there.

There are still a bunch of the ex NYC Payhaulers floating around the NY harbor, most at Metal Management's yard in Port Newark.

John
ConstructionSite
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:28:03 PM

Looks like a the park will be a must visit!

Shovelman wrote:
There were photos posted here a long time ago; but since the search function here doesn't "function", it would take many hours to go through the threads.

HERE is a quick and easy workaround for the search function.

- Chris Smile
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:44:26 PM

This is another video that shows some equipment used at Fresh Kills.

-Josh
freshkillspark
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:32:55 PM

Hello,

The Freshkills Park team has found this thread to be so interesting that we couldn't help entering the discussion. It's exciting for us to hear your enthusiasm for the equipment used at Fresh Kills during the landfill's active years, and the videos posted are tremendous! We loved the Sanitary Landfill clip so much that we recently posted it on our blog.

For those of you who are curious to learn what is happening at Fresh Kills, we'd like provide some information about the massive public project called Freshkills Park. 2,200 acres of the former landfill are being transformed into what will eventually be New York City's second largest park. While the full build out will take 30 years, construction has begun on the first phase of the park, and public access to the interior of the site will be provided in the near future. If you'd like to read more about the project please check out the Freshkills Park website.

Members of this forum may be particularly interested in a current signage project that comprises of relocating an O&K RH 120 Excavator from its current location, shown in pictures from earlier in this thread, to a prepared area east of Route 440 and southwest of the landfill section we call South Mound. The relocated excavator will be used to display a lighted billboard sign for our park and will feature updates on projects as the park progresses. Here's a rendering of what the excavator signage will look like:

As the South Park section of the park is developed, viewing areas for the excavator will be established so people can get a close-up view of this machine that was so integral to the site's past.

And while the first section of Freshkills Park is still a year away from opening, we do offer an array of public programs, including on-site events and tours, as well as off-site presentations, lectures and environmental education. Our public tour season will start back up in April; if you'd like updates about registration for these tours and events, as well as news about the project, please sign up for our bi-weekly newsletter.

CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:00:06 PM

That is very cool, thanks Freshkills park team!

-Josh
627push/pull
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:40:45 PM

freshkillspark wrote:
Hello,

The Freshkills Park team has found this thread to be so interesting that we couldn't help entering the discussion. It's exciting for us to hear your enthusiasm for the equipment used at Fresh Kills during the landfill's active years, and the videos posted are tremendous! We loved the Sanitary Landfill clip so much that we recently posted it on our blog.

For those of you who are curious to learn what is happening at Fresh Kills, we'd like provide some information about the massive public project called Freshkills Park. 2,200 acres of the former landfill are being transformed into what will eventually be New York City's second largest park. While the full build out will take 30 years, construction has begun on the first phase of the park, and public access to the interior of the site will be provided in the near future. If you'd like to read more about the project please check out the Freshkills Park website.

Members of this forum may be particularly interested in a current signage project that comprises of relocating an O&K RH 120 Excavator from its current location, shown in pictures from earlier in this thread, to a prepared area east of Route 440 and southwest of the landfill section we call South Mound. The relocated excavator will be used to display a lighted billboard sign for our park and will feature updates on projects as the park progresses. Here's a rendering of what the excavator signage will look like:

As the South Park section of the park is developed, viewing areas for the excavator will be established so people can get a close-up view of this machine that was so integral to the site's past.

And while the first section of Freshkills Park is still a year away from opening, we do offer an array of public programs, including on-site events and tours, as well as off-site presentations, lectures and environmental education. Our public tour season will start back up in April; if you'd like updates about registration for these tours and events, as well as news about the project, please sign up for our bi-weekly newsletter.

Interesting! Welcome to the forum!

Dump on the edges, the middle will take care of itself.
Never look down on ANYONE! Unless it is to lift them up.
CWR
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 11:11:13 PM

I have been after a picture of a Payhauler 350 they had which was a towtruck, painted blue from memory, anyone who can supply some information or pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks
JesseP
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:16:28 PM

I spent many cold nights there sorting thru WTC debris. It gets pretty windy up on that mound..Sad I hope we never have to do that again.........
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:52:46 AM

bump! cuz this is an awesome post.
Nova55
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:36:47 PM

I agree. I have been doing a ton of research on Fresh Kills, as well as general NYC garbage disposal (I hope to write a book on how NYC got rid of garbage soon).

Heres a photo of one of the RH120s at work. http://drcobe.ohiolink.edu/handle/2374.OBE/989

I would love to see more photos of the Dumps. Heres an article on them: http://www.ehrbar.com/fresh-kills.html

Boy, I dont miss the smell driving down 440 in the summer...
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 4:59:01 AM

Nova55 wrote:
I agree. I have been doing a ton of research on Fresh Kills, as well as general NYC garbage disposal (I hope to write a book on how NYC got rid of garbage soon).

Heres a photo of one of the RH120s at work. http://drcobe.ohiolink.edu/handle/2374.OBE/989

I would love to see more photos of the Dumps. Heres an article on them: http://www.ehrbar.com/fresh-kills.html

Boy, I dont miss the smell driving down 440 in the summer...

Awesome! Great find, and I would definitely read that book. Check out a book called Fat of the Land. Although its more about the politics behind how New York city dealt with its garbage, it has some pretty interesting stuff in there.

-Josh
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:54:06 PM

Does anyone know of any other landfills or waste handling facilities that utilize large equipment like the RH120's that Fresh Kills operated?
Cat345bl
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:33:16 PM

CarlBrutanananadilewski wrote:
Does anyone know of any other landfills or waste handling facilities that utilize large equipment like the RH120's that Fresh Kills operated?

Yes, although it is not as big as the Rh120's, but waste management in tullytown pa, around my area, own a large crawler crane (don't know who what make is) with a clam shell, that they operate at a sandpit. Now they use this crane to excavate sand, on a barge, and then the barge has a built in screener, it screens the sand, and unloads it at the shore, I believe they then truck the sand to their landfill, as fill material. They also have Manitowoc 4600 dragline to do also excavate sand, from the same water filled sand pit.

Here is some articles about the landfill in tullytown (morrissville)
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/nyregion/02garbage.html

http://freshkillspark.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/one-endpoint-of-the-nyc-waste-stream/

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

627push/pull
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 5:24:38 PM

Cat345bl wrote:
They also have Manitowoc 4600 dragline to do also excavate sand, from the same water filled sand pit.

Is that pit close to the Delaware River? There used to be a 4600 on the PA side that you could see from across the river in Trenton. Haven't been there in years, don't know if it's still there.

Dump on the edges, the middle will take care of itself.
Never look down on ANYONE! Unless it is to lift them up.
Cat345bl
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 5:31:29 PM

627push/pull wrote:
Cat345bl wrote:
They also have Manitowoc 4600 dragline to do also excavate sand, from the same water filled sand pit.

Is that pit close to the Delaware River? There used to be a 4600 on the PA side that you could see from across the river in Trenton. Haven't been there in years, don't know if it's still there.

Yes it's right next to the deleware, the sand pit is on new tyburn road. The 4600 is still there, don't know if WM owns it though.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

Cat 966f
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:14:57 PM