DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

TWH LeTourneau L1850 Wheel Loader Options · View
Christian
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:55:57 PM

Groups: Member

admin wrote:
Hi guys,

Not sure how Randy got this - but it will be released at Toyfair in Germany - more details after the fair!

Chuck

i don´t know neither where Randy has it from, i only know all upcoming TWH news are shown with pics of the prototypes in the german bauforum24... for example the new Grove GMK5130-2 is there to be seen also...

admin
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:52:03 PM
Groups: Administration

OK - I can't be quiet anymore....

Anyone who says the TWH Manitowoc 4100W Crawler Crane is deficient needs to look a little closer and maybe get some psychiatric help. Other than the infamous "Knot" I am not aware of any problems with that model.

We have shipped hundreds to happy customers and again, where are the problems? Where else have you seen a crawler of this detailed level for $300???? No scale model is absolutely perfect, but my personal opinion is that the TWH models are some of the best available - hands down.

I know we can't please everybody, but c'mon, take a real look at these models and what effort goes into making them "right"!

Chuck
hummer13
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:28:23 PM

I have agree no model will be perfect in everybodys eyes. There will always be some small problem someone will not like. I hope the price will come down alittle from what was posted.
Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
JohnGalt
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:55:05 PM

Chuck, the 4100 is great, no doubt about that. I know of at least one other owner beside myself that had the fitting pull off the end of one of the pendants, so you can count that as a problem. Also, the front winch on mine does not line up with the hole in the carbody, so I can't turn the winch with the key. I think at least one other person had this problem, too.
I made continuous pendants with a little Musky Master, and I rigged the hook from the second winch.
It looks beautiful where I have it displayed, but I feel like I bought a car and the CD player doesn't work, and I had to duct-tape the headlight in place.
By the way, I wrote emails asking about corrections for my concerns, and nobody responded. If your response is now "get some psychiatric help", maybe I'll do that and figure out why I've been such a loyal customer of yours for 10 years. Don't count on that lasting.
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:07:46 PM

Guess I figured out where Randy got his picture Wink

Same place also shows other models, including the GMK 5130-2.

Paul R
micwendt
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:43:41 PM

I must agree on one thing with the 4100. And that is that I agree that we disagree on the severity of any prolems with TWH models. I have completed my crane room and as time permits I am assembling my backlog of unopened boxes. I have Conrad, NZG, TWH, CCM, WSI and YCC models opened. I could sit here and nick pick flaws in each and everyone of them. I've had boom heads fall off in my hands on two $900 dollar liebherrs. I looked and looked to find hook balls to be packaged with Conrad models so I could use the jibs. I have had glued or soilderd (sp) joints fail on thousand dollar CCM models. I've had confussing instructions with TWH models or none at all with other manufactures. Many of the cranes do not have deadhead points for the cables except TWH. The list could go on and on. But to sum things up and put things in perspective, TWH is by far the best bang for the buck. In my opinion, when it comes to detail, construction and durability, included accessories, and overall ease of rigging, TWH shines above others.
As I sit and assemble and rig my brand X cranes, I drill some holes, I go to my stash of spare parts, I have my super glue handy, and I get-r-done. I enjoy the challenge and sit back with a great deal of satifaction on my handy work. I compliment myself on doing something some others could not do.
Mic

admin
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:42:06 PM
Groups: Administration

John,

I have not heard of your trouble - please keep in mind that we get 100's of emails every day and it is possible we missed yours - the trouble you are having is not typical, sounds like an assembly problem or two - contact us and we will correct it - as always.

We stand behind our products - that is why you may pay a little more here, but the long-term costs of doing business with a reputable vendor instead of ebay or a fly-by-night will be less.

Just standing on my soapbox. I am sitting in an airport on my way to Toyfair and not in a good mood!

Wait until you see the metal sample photos of the LeTourneau and the Grove models coming from TWH - you will be amazed. I promise you will be able to order them all next week after Toyfair - please be patient!

Thanks.

Chuck
brian falcone
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:48:32 PM

any truth to that sword autocar truck model this year? have fun chuck. brian
Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:14:11 PM

admin wrote:
John,

I have not heard of your trouble - please keep in mind that we get 100's of emails every day and it is possible we missed yours - the trouble you are having is not typical, sounds like an assembly problem or two - contact us and we will correct it - as always.

We stand behind our products - that is why you may pay a little more here, but the long-term costs of doing business with a reputable vendor instead of ebay or a fly-by-night will be less.

Just standing on my soapbox. I am sitting in an airport on my way to Toyfair and not in a good mood!
Wait until you see the metal sample photos of the LeTourneau and the Grove models coming from TWH - you will be amazed. I promise you will be able to order them all next week after Toyfair - please be patient!

Thanks.

Chuck

I know that feeling only too well!!

Paul R
a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:25:30 PM

Lol Brian...the man said he was in a sour mood and in the airport.Shhh WinkAni You want to catch Chuck when he's in quite the opposite mood to try and drop the A bomb (that is Autocar) on him....finesse man finesse.

Mic I have to agree with you that nearly every model I've ever bought had some flaw; from paint niks or chips up to poor assembly. Chuck is constantly stating that if we have broken or bad models to send them back with his offer to help set things right, and even if that can be a hassle some times, that's really the best solution.

My 4100 came with one of the pins in one of it's crawler links broken so that it's not completely/properly linked. There were some very slight paint niks but really in places that didn't matter, but I guess I've come to expect that. None the less, I decided to settle on keeping it.

I really like the 4100. It is an excellent piece and wish that they TWH would release the 4600 dragline.
I realize it's been done before but not by TWH. It would be a tremendously great model.

Way to get in here and mix it up Chuck.

Chris
JohnGalt
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:37:36 PM

Chris,
"Mix it up"? What's the matter with you? Chuck started it. Yes, I had issues with my 4100, but as I wrote, I either fixed them myself or accepted them, just like I have with every single one of my cranes. I've never sent one back, and I enjoy the challenge of overcoming the minor setbacks (eventually). Those of us that offered our views on the mistakes of the 4100 were doing so for the benefit of the manufacturer and other forum members that were interested. The issue seemed to have been dead for a while until Chuck made his comment about psychiatric help.
Chuck,
I hate being stuck in airports just as much as you do, but as a businessman, you should know better than to put something in writing that you don't really mean. If you really meant what you wrote, I respect your decisions regarding your customer service. It's your company. I'll pass on the LeTourneau and Grove models, thank you.
AJM
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:33:55 PM

What an extraordinary statement for a ‘business owner’ to make.
I guess now people on this forum know what Chuck truly thinks of his customers. I have only recently started dealing with your company and this has not been a good experience (check with your man Korey). How dare I complain about the many problems with my 4100 model? Well Chuck, if this is what you truly think, can you please cancel the 4100 Ringer I have on order.
I think I will continue to purchase from European model dealers – at least they do not slight their customers in public.

Tony
JohnGalt
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:42:02 PM

admin wrote:
OK - I can't be quiet anymore....

Anyone who says the TWH Manitowoc 4100W Crawler Crane is deficient needs to look a little closer and maybe get some psychiatric help. Other than the infamous "Knot" I am not aware of any problems with that model.
We have shipped hundreds to happy customers and again, where are the problems? Where else have you seen a crawler of this detailed level for $300???? No scale model is absolutely perfect, but my personal opinion is that the TWH models are some of the best available - hands down.

I know we can't please everybody, but c'mon, take a real look at these models and what effort goes into making them "right"!

Chuck

Taken from this very forum:

"I received mine the other day and rigged it up. No problems but the knot is outside the equalizer so shows really bad. When you boom it up pretty high it gets hung up in the sheave and the outer bail hangs crooked. I pulled all the line off the drums and spooled them up right. The Becket hanger on the tip is upside down. I'd have to pull the tip sheaves out to fix it so probably will leave it. I will have to un deck it to get to the boom hoit drums though. Other than that I think its awesome.

Mine had similar issues, but with a little patience's its done.

4100 - not so much, heard many bad things about that model... some good but more bad than good

This is an excellent model. It does perhaps have some draw backs as has been stated by others here.
My only real hang up is that with any significant weight suspended from the boom when it's lowered too much, will tip the whole thing over.
The rear weights are made of die cast alloys and are not that heavy.

The only problem I had was a broken offest bracket in the boom.

my lines are a little tangled where they all come together that holds the equalizer..other than that, not really too bad,

Well I've really reworked my 4100W - even disassembling the house to get to the boom hoist drums. I was unwinding them to reverse the winding as described in previous posts and the rope came loose from one drum. It was not tied off but simply held with a dot of glue - beware! The boom hoist drums are actually on the house floor - it should have been engineered with a small access panel underneath in the rear to get to the drums. Restrung with Cortland Muskee 27lb to eliminate the visible knot, tied a double knot on the drum and used a dot of glue - should not come off now.

There has been a lot of problems with the tape used to hold the ropes close to the sheeves

One thought would be for TWH to randomly pick several experienced modelers to "test out" a few prototypes to see what problems the users could experience in the field so they could make changes before full production comences. The access panel for the boom drums is a good example.

I have built about 30 real 4100's and never had this much trouble getting the boom reeving straightened out!!

I spent 3-4 hours yesterday getting mine rigged and it was a challenge when everything was twisted.I still have 2 sheves that need to be played with but even with them I got everything to work just fine,after all said and done with very happy with this awesome crane

im curious as to why there isnt an uproar over the rigging problems this thing has

mine came the same way,all twisted mine came today and spent 4 hrs and finally got it rigged and in working order,what a mess I had

Some of the line I pulled the knot right threw the red connector. Now I cannot put my pendant lines together. I am so pissed. This is not my first crane here and for all this small but important stuff to go wrong, this is a real sloppy crane.

I am having one hell of a time trying to rigg this beast up. Right from the box she was all twisted up and after 1.5 hrs I decided to cut ALL the string

However I now cannot get the key used to turn the hoist drums out of the hole in the drum. A good strong pull is not enough and I am afraid to break something. Has any one had this problem; any advice?"

I copied these from posts I found using the search function. I only got through 7 pages of hits for "4100" and didn't even get to the original threads. Chuck should read the forum more.
DeWoc19
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:56:54 PM

im sorry but i would not buy this piece of crap 4100 if it were the last model on the face of this earth, sure it looks cool and its a historic crane and all but hearing and readying all the problems that come along with this model does not make m want to buy it. for more than double the price you can get a much bigger and better model than what TWH has to offer on this one

for $300 you shouldnt be receiving a model and having to repair or rework things to make them correct, they should be right before you even take it out of the box, it should be as simple as assembling it and reeving it, not having to take it all apart to fix the problems that the manufacturer was to lazy to work out themself

4100 = Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking Not talking
Irvin Centeno
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:14:20 PM

I'm not much of a crane collector but I will prefer to buy another crawler than the TWH 4100W. My reason is all the bad details that have been mentioned on this forum , of course I haven't seen the model personally but for $300.00 DOLARS ALSO!

TWH 4100W=

bad details,
-$300 dolars of my money
=======

NOT BUYING IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to get of topic.
Jim15
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:17:07 PM

Looks like someone's here for an argument.

I was going to try and stay away from this, but I just can't. Just leave the man alone. He tries his best to

A. Keep this forum going, updated, and moderated for FREE! YOu all come on here and use it, and all he hears from us about it 99.9% of the time is how some A-Hole is on here posting crap, or how he has to do a better job moderating to keep OT posts from pushing our posts of "OUR" first and second pages. Look, if you complain about something that is free of charge, that just stop doing it FOR FREE! None of the money for software updates or servers is coming out of your pocket, so just don't com one anymore.

B. Chuck has listened to our model requests, and tries to listen to our feedback on which models we want becasue no other model makers will make them. Then he goes and does an excellent job on them most of the time, but sometimes there are flaws with models, its Life. Ya, you can say "O well I paid $300 for this model it should be perfect." Its just not going to happen there will ALWAYS be models with problems. Then Chuck tells you if you have problems let him know. Ya, he isnt going to get right back to you, think how many emails the guy gets a day. The man tries to do the right thing by having you send it back and he'll get it fixed or send you a replacemnt/refund.

For all he does for us, all we give him 99% percent of the time is !!!!. Ya I swore on the forum, but that is all we give this man for all that he does for us! If you really want to stick with what you said and pass on the models because your not satisfied with his service, then do it. I'm not trying to drive customers away from Chuck, but why don't you step in his shoes, and look at it as he looks at it.

I do not own this model so I can't comment on it, but everyone asked for it, Chuck made an attempt to make it, and all he gets is complaints. Personally I would not post complaints on an open forum. Thats like your boss calling up your family to tell them how you screwed up in work.

Go ahead, have a forum fight with me over the computer, I'll beat you with my mouse and keyboard...

Jim

Jim15
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:26:58 PM

I'm not really sure, but if you do not have a model, you have not even seen it, how can you publicly say that you think it is a horrible model with loads of problems, just based on opinions other people have posted. Chuck said he has sold hundreds, so how do you know that all of these models are bad? What gives you the right to judge a model, when for all you know these are just a handful of mistakes, and all the other ones are fine.?

Jim

Irvin Centeno
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:40:34 PM

Jim 15

I'm NOT! looking for a forum fight:

A. I understand that chuck and TWH make great models, but I'm just saying that by the things I have heard here on this forum I'm not interested on buying it.

B. I'm not much of a crane collector and I would really prefer if they would stick to the 1/50 trucks. These are models that I would spend anything on them.

C. I know chuck is a hard working man and does not have time for this discussion.

D. I posted on the 4100 topic for people that are tired of hearing bad stuff about it ,my suggestion is to not buy it if you think it's a deficient model.

And if it would be a little more cheaper I would defenatly buy it.

And one more thing I think you are right on that some have been mistakes and other's are fine.

And, I'm going to leave clear that I am NOT saying that TWH and SWORD are bad model retailer's and I'm thinking of purchasing some of there models but not the 4100.

Thanks Irvin
DeWoc19
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:42:18 PM

Chuck didnt make this model.... TWH did so unless Chuck is the new owner of TWH i think you have your facts a little mixed up
JohnGalt
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:50:34 PM

I'm not sure the true nature of it, but there is some relationship between DHS & Sword (duh) and TWH.