DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

LARGE MINING TRUCK PLANS Options · View
Remko
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:59:07 PM

Groups: Member

MJW wrote:
Tyres aren't the only problem for an 800 ton truck (let alone a 4000 tonner) as a suitable engine would also be unavailable. There's also the question of how to load it.

Correct, I've read an interview with the designer of the Liebherr T 282 B, and he said that in theory a 1,000 ton truck would be feasible. That is, technologically possible. Practically, no. Like Mike and Christian already mentioned, tires and engines are also needed. A nuclear powered robotic truck for use on the bottom of the ocean might be possible. That's far into the future though, if ever.

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
Greasemonkey
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:19:20 PM

Remko wrote:
Correct, I've read an interview with the designer of the Liebherr T 282 B, and he said that in theory a 1,000 ton truck would be feasible. That is, technologically possible. Practically, no. Like Mike and Christian already mentioned, tires and engines are also needed. A nuclear powered robotic truck for use on the bottom of the ocean might be possible. That's far into the future though, if ever.

Hahahaha, a 1000 ton Liebherr. What would they tow it with? I mean, our T282Bs spend more time in the shop than in the mine. We would also need more and larger fire trucks.....they tend to catch on fire quite often too.

Brian
T282B
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:00:25 PM

Greasemonkey wrote:
Remko wrote:

Hahahaha, a 1000 ton Liebherr. What would they tow it with? I mean, our T282Bs spend more time in the shop than in the mine. We would also need more and larger fire trucks.....they tend to catch on fire quite often too.

Brian

There are many Liebherr T282 running at Jacobs Ranch, Cortez, Codelco, Mt Arthur...the operators are all very happy with it. Dont know why only Syncrude has major problems with the T282B?

LIEBHERR MINING POWER

visit www.baumaschinenmodelle.com for construction and mining equipment in 1:87 scale
Greasemonkey
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:03:43 PM

T282B wrote:
There are many Liebherr T282 running at Jacobs Ranch, Cortez, Codelco, Mt Arthur...the operators are all very happy with it. Dont know why only Syncrude has major problems with the T282B?

Trust me, it's not only Syncrude. I think part of the problem we have is due to soft ground conditions, but that is only part of the problem.

Brian
Tarantula
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:59:17 PM

MININGEXCAVATORS wrote:
i'm 15 and a 500 ton truck would be possible

Well yes and no, since there is no tyres that can hold up such weight yet. That is what I have heard atleast.

//Niklas Eriksson

JustinE
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:39:05 PM

MININGEXCAVATORS wrote:

15? Eh? Highly doubtful.

Keep in mind that there is no market for a truck that size. A 425 tonner, well yes, I'm sure we'll see one in the years to come. What in the world would load a truck that size may I ask you? Maybe the Silver Spade is she were still around?

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
ulf
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:45:45 PM

My understanding regarding the limiting factor with tire size was basically transportation to the job site. These big fatties are usually moved by rail and tunnel clearance issues are usually the limiter. The technology for larger tires is readily available I believe, but building them at the mine site is not practical. Think
Tarantula
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:55:21 PM

Roll them down a hill useing a stick?

//Niklas Eriksson

"BIG JOHN"
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:13:54 PM

A quote from the book "Building giant earthmovers" by Eric Orlemann. Quite often mining equipment manufacturers have to wait for tire technology to catch up with their designs. its easier to make a larger machine than to create a tire capable of withstanding the extra stresses such a vehicle produces under load. The 2 industries have a push pull relationship. As the tire manufacturers introduce a larger tire, the truck builders increase their capacities, which, in turn, creates demand for still larger tires. This one upmanship continues even today, with no end in sight.

Cant see a 4000 tonner though..................
Remko
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:21:35 PM

JustinE wrote:
MININGEXCAVATORS wrote:

15? Eh? Highly doubtful.

Keep in mind that there is no market for a truck that size. A 425 tonner, well yes, I'm sure we'll see one in the years to come. What in the world would load a truck that size may I ask you? Maybe the Silver Spade is she were still around?

When they design a 500 ton, 600 ton or even 800 ton truck, there will also be a excavator or shovel being made to load it. Bucyrus already has the 795 on the drawing board. They just wait for a truck to match it.

Tires, well, I know that there are already tires out there wich come in parts. The 'cheeks' are seperate from the rest of the tire and will be added at the worksite.

If what you say was true, we would still be working with spades and wheelbarrows or even buckets... If you build it, it will come....

Then we have these...

ETF Trucks

Biggest single truck design they have is a 6 axle-line (yes, pendular axles) with a 275 ton payload and a 450 ton GVW. They also offer a "Road Train" variant: Off-Highway Road Trains

That said, we have yet to see a ETF truck in operation. Unfortunately...

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
ulf
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:21:56 PM

Interesting website... Think
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:50:27 PM

I agree with ulf it is an interesting site. I've seen it before and thought it was well...... strange. I'm doubtful that we will ever see those machines, and if they were produced wouldn't that be bad for other companies? Also if its such a great idea why haven't the companies who have been producing and selling mining trucks for decades ever thought of this? I just don't think its probable but thats just my opinion.

-Josh
"BIG JOHN"
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:56:17 PM

ulf wrote:
Interesting website... Think
I agree, but just think of all that shelf space taken up by one of those things if they took off & they made 1:50 scale models of them! Teeth
JustinE
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:10:08 PM

Remko wrote:
JustinE wrote:
MININGEXCAVATORS wrote:

15? Eh? Highly doubtful.

When they design a 500 ton, 600 ton or even 800 ton truck, there will also be a excavator or shovel being made to load it. Bucyrus already has the 795 on the drawing board. They just wait for a truck to match it.

Tires, well, I know that there are already tires out there wich come in parts. The 'cheeks' are seperate from the rest of the tire and will be added at the worksite.

If what you say was true, we would still be working with spades and wheelbarrows or even buckets... If you build it, it will come....

Then we have these...

ETF Trucks

Biggest single truck design they have is a 6 axle-line (yes, pendular axles) with a 275 ton payload and a 450 ton GVW. They also offer a "Road Train" variant: Off-Highway Road Trains

That said, we have yet to see a ETF truck in operation. Unfortunately...

I know but I just can't see a truck of that size ever being built. Look how long that Bucyrus 795 has been on paper. So far, no mine's have any intrest in a machine that size. If there's no shovel, there's no truck.
Adding to that, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll see a larger truck in the years to come. However, I highly doubt any truck will break the 500t barrier.

Very intresting link by the way, thanks for that!

-Justin

PAmining
tsham
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 9:00:57 PM

The mining industry is a business, and just like any other business, the objective is to minimize costs and maximize profits. Moving overburden, ore, coal, etc. is only a means to end. The objective is always to keep the unit cost as low as possible. Regardless of whether or not the technology exists to construct a truck with an 800 ton (or larger) capacity, the real question is whether or not such a beast would be cost effective.

D10N wrote:
... I like the imagineering, and thinking ahead, but in reality, trucks are the least efficient part of the mining process - especially as pits get deeper and hauls get longer. It takes more trucks to keep up with the processing side for every bench the mine goes deeper, eventually haulage costs will cause a move away from perfectly good orebodies or coal seams to closer diggings. The future lies in conveyor systems for older, deeper mines, and a return to rail based systems for the new ones.

Personally, I agree with D10N. Conveyors and rail systems can be extremely cost effective methods for transporting large volumes of heavy material considerable distances. Of course they won't work for all applications, and they are sure to come with their own share of operation and maintenance issues, but its all about the economics.

As for us scale model collectors, perhaps in the future we will all have display cabinets filled with various conveyor systems. Maybe Chuck was on to something with the Superior Industries TS-150 Telestaker Conveyor. http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=6029
a Cutter
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 9:20:37 PM

I guess seeing any of these fantastics plans that the author of this thread has drawn/designed is strictly off limits.
Just had to let us know that he's made them and he's fifteen......shucks!

Think Think Think

Chris
JustinE
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:58:39 PM

a Cutter wrote:
I guess seeing any of these fantastics plans that the author of this thread has drawn/designed is strictly off limits.
Just had to let us know that he's made them and he's fifteen......shucks!

Think Think Think

Chris

Yep, I agree! And I still don't believe he's 15.

-Justin

PAmining
D5G
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:20:01 PM

JustinE wrote:
Yep, I agree! And I still don't believe he's 15.
Me either.

MikesModels2011 on Facebook

MikesModels2011 on YouTube

Mikes Model Reviews Thread

Mack Granite Project Thread
D10N
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:52:38 AM

Greasemonkey wrote:
T282B wrote:

Trust me, it's not only Syncrude. I think part of the problem we have is due to soft ground conditions, but that is only part of the problem.

Brian

ASARCO can't keep theirs running for more than around 50% availability either, and the operators I've talked with all think the trucks are ummmm......crap.
Gavin84w
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:19:32 AM

But what about the bonus Brian in those cold winter months when there is a big fire to keep you warm!!

I toured Mt Arthur with another forum member in 2005 and every time we came around a stockpile there were a couple parked up.

Thiess have pensioned the 262,s off at Mt Owen and 1 even resisted removal from site by getting all hot and bothered so it was given a very unceremonious burial!!

Wonder what fleet of trucks Mt Arthur have ordered to replace them!!