DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

LARGE MINING TRUCK PLANS Options · View
D10N
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:41:56 AM

Groups: Member

Greasemonkey wrote:
have you seen some of the rocket scientists they have running these things? Some of them actually think they are driving bumper cars.

Brian, you just made my day with that!!!! I've been debating opening a haul truck paint and body shop here lately (I'll paint any 793 for $99.99 or my name isn't Earl Scheib) with the wrecks, bumps, attempted rollovers, etc - I'd be rich inside of a month.

How do you turn Albert Einstein into Forrest Gump? Sit him in a haul truck and wait 15 minutes........Teeth
D10N
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:47:08 AM

CAT793 wrote:
Jimmy McCarty showed us a movie of a mine in Chile that loads 793 with a conveyor with 22 D11R pushing the material onto the conveyor then falls through a hopper into the tub. 7 seconds per load cycle ! Food for thought.

We're looking at it in reverse - the trucks load the conveyor system, and it in turn limits the trucks to the immediate vicinity of the shovels. I've spent enough time pushing ore piles with a dozer to know that unless we were shoving dirt (the 3" of stuff that covers the solid rock here), it wouldn't be too efficient for our operation as you outlined. We pull rocks out of the bank all the time that a D11R won't budge, and an 11N might get a foot of movement out of them.
Greasemonkey
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:17:03 AM

D10N wrote:
I've been debating opening a haul truck paint and body shop here lately (I'll paint any 793 for $99.99 or my name isn't Earl Scheib) with the wrecks, bumps, attempted rollovers, etc - I'd be rich inside of a month.

How do you turn Albert Einstein into Forrest Gump? Sit him in a haul truck and wait 15 minutes........Teeth

Ain't that the truth! But, you might wanna charge a bit more than $99.99, unless of course the paint is an extra charge....lol

You know, I'm amazed at how many times I can hear the same same phrase repeated on the radio in one day. "540 truck, put yourself in load" May not mean much to anybody who isn't used to a computer dispatch system. But really, why should the shovel operator have to keep telling the same guy over and over and over to do the same thing? What can I say, he's a Jeenyus! Yes, I meant to spell it like that.

Brian
D10N
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:42:47 AM

I love when they decide to go to the wrong shovel....."I did push my button" - only to have the shovel 2 benches down ask why the 522 is showing up on his screen, and he's loading the 612. I just can't see how the 4 foot tall numbers on the 39 shovel can look exactly like the 4 foot tall numbers on the 11 shovel, at 10 AM.

Had one a few nights ago pull up facing the berm on a leach dump - then ask where I wanted him to dump at.

And I wonder why I just can't quit smoking......
Greasemonkey
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 3:03:04 AM

D10N wrote:
I love when they decide to go to the wrong shovel....."I did push my button" - only to have the shovel 2 benches down ask why the 522 is showing up on his screen, and he's loading the 612. I just can't see how the 4 foot tall numbers on the 39 shovel can look exactly like the 4 foot tall numbers on the 11 shovel, at 10 AM.

Had one a few nights ago pull up facing the berm on a leach dump - then ask where I wanted him to dump at.

And I wonder why I just can't quit smoking......

How bout this

"Hello 4500 (dispatch).......go ahead......this is 132 truck, the lineup sheet said I was supposed to be hauling from 86 shovel, but the Wenco says 91 shovel, where do you want me to go?......follow your Wenco.....OK, thanks" (5 second pause) "Hello 4500.......go ahead......this is 88 truck, the lineup sheet said I was supposed to be hauling from 86 shovel, but the Wenco says 91 shovel, where do you want me to go?......follow your Wenco.....OK, thanks" (5 second pause) "Hello 4500.......go ahead......this is 149 truck, the lineup sheet said I was supposed to be hauling from 86 shovel, but the Wenco says 91 shovel, where do you want me to go?......folks, 86 shovel is down, follow your Wenco and it will tell you where to go.....10-4.....10-4......10-4" (10 second pause) "Hello 4500.......go ahead......this is 132 truck, the lineup sheet said I was supposed to be hauling from 87 shovel, but the Wenco says 91 shovel, where do you want me to go?......(dispatch replies)...I give up......how bout this, head over to Suncor and get a load, call me when you get back............" followed by a long silence.

Sometimes, it's just hard not to laugh.

Brian
Gavin84w
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:03:59 AM

You here some crackers don,t you!!

One night the digger (PC5500 loading 830,s) had the bucket in the air waiting for the truck to come under and the trucky calls him up and says "which way do you want me to come in and the digger driver says, come in upside down for all i care but just get under the bucket for christsake!"

Ace told me a good story on VIMS snapshot full calls one day too which was funny.

I had a 5230 digger one night go down with a chernobyled front slew box that took 14 teeth off the slew ring and the dirt boss called up and asked how long until it would be back up and i replied " 2 weeks" then there is the long pause followed by " i,ll come up and see you"

If you can,t have fun at work why go.
Esab_Steelblue
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:31:06 AM

Reading the above has made me smile a lot..one of the best storys I have read on here in regard to haul truck drivers in the mines was the one (I cant remember it properly so feel free to repost it!) was where the guy had his mic open all the way up the haul road and everyone could hear his opinions until he was told....Priceless lol

Andy

How to search the forums
D10N
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:43:45 PM

Oh I just adoooooooore the VIMS snapshot calls - they rank up there with the third stage parking brake alarm calls (overstrokes). Ever notice that none of them will shut the truck off, or even set the park brake, so that they don't have to broadcast that stupid alarm?
MJW
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 9:18:52 AM

Cat 797B wrote:
ulf wrote:
Turbines are pretty finicky in less then ideal conditions. Hot air temperature, dust and stop and go operations are all detrimental to their performance. Union Pacific ran some 4500 HP and 8500 HP (locomotive) turbines in the '50s, but never achieved satisfactory economic results. Turbines are VERY expensive to maintain/repair. The airlines have good success because they run in very cold temperatures (better fuel efficiency,) clean air (no abrasion/corrosion) and at maximum rpm for long durations. Think

That may have been the case in the 50's, however gas turbines have come a long way in the 50+ years since.

Hot air, dust and stop-go operations are detrimental to ANY type of engine whether it be gas turbine or cyclic, as they are both ultimately gas generators. I do however, tend to agree with you about dust though due to the large volumes of air required for a gas turbine. It is difficult to filter efficiently for the volumes required, although ships and oil/gas platforms have great success even with this taken into consideration and therefore should not present too much of an issue. As I suggested previously it would be easy to operate the gas turbine at a fixed speed, coupled to an electric generator, which would rule out the majority of the stop-start operation.

I disagree that airlines have good success due to the reasons you gave such as very cold temperatures, because it is in fact more difficult to operate in these conditions due to very low density of air, which, although good for the aerodynamics of the aircraft it is not good for the combustion of fuel, hence the turbomachinery has to work harder to obtain the volumetric efficiency required to produce a given output.

Also, aircraft gas turbines do NOT operate at maximum RPM for long durations. Max RPM occurs at take off when the maximum amount of stress is experienced by the turbomachinery. Cruise in flight where the aircraft operates for the majority of its operational life, requires engines to run at lower speed conditions for a number of reasons (wear, velocity, fuel consumption etc.......)Think

For anyone who has seen a truck or shovel fire or the results of one, the idea of putting a gas turbine in a mine truck along with a tank of kerosene as fuel is somewhat alarming.
I think on that point alone, no-one in the industry would consider it.
Christian
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 10:03:51 AM

same with nuclear. if a Diesel engine blows up. well you have fire, you let it burn, you clean up afterwards and go on. if a nuclear reactor blows up, you have a contaminated mine with contaminated soil. you can more or less shut up the operation. now who´s gonna insure that today? noone! who is willing to pay for that? nuclear is risky enough as it is, no need to add the harsh mining environment to it. think aboout the tremendous costs you´d need to have for logistics and maintenance of that.

you can´t just do a in-field repair anymore. and as our experts pointed out above, we do not talk about a ship or a immobile power plant here, we talk about a mining truck who is shaken, rattled and bending all day long.

in my eyes: no chance! nada.