DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

LARGE MINING TRUCK PLANS Options · View
Greasemonkey
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:21:07 AM

Groups: Member

Gavin84w wrote:
But what about the bonus Brian in those cold winter months when there is a big fire to keep you warm!!

Hahahaha, too true! Good one Gav.

Brian
northwest
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:59:43 AM

the only guy who could give us a true opinion on this futuristic truck is Ralph Kress.
Gavin84w
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:15:19 AM

Along with maybe Ed McCord and Argee
MJW
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:27:15 AM

Ed McCord's probably got his head down right now working on something truck related. I think he's still in charge of the Cat electric truck project isn't he?

One point I made about a bigger truck that no-one picked up on was the lack of a suitable engine. Low speed locomotive engines have been tried in mining trucks before and always with limited success. As for coupling engines, that leaves you with a very long block and has also had notable failures (I'm thinking more of aviation than the 3524 though).

I suppose it'd be possible to go for a radical Kress type solution and have an engine at each end of the truck with computer controls and so on, but we're getting into the realms of Remko's nuclear-powered underwater truck with stuff like that.

Fresh ideas are good though. The guy who started this thread could have a bright future at Cat or Komatsu in years to come!
Remko
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:19:58 PM

MJW wrote:
Ed McCord's probably got his head down right now working on something truck related. I think he's still in charge of the Cat electric truck project isn't he?

One point I made about a bigger truck that no-one picked up on was the lack of a suitable engine. Low speed locomotive engines have been tried in mining trucks before and always with limited success. As for coupling engines, that leaves you with a very long block and has also had notable failures (I'm thinking more of aviation than the 3524 though).

I suppose it'd be possible to go for a radical Kress type solution and have an engine at each end of the truck with computer controls and so on, but we're getting into the realms of Remko's nuclear-powered underwater truck with stuff like that.

Fresh ideas are good though. The guy who started this thread could have a bright future at Cat or Komatsu in years to come!

Big gasturbines have been suggested, and were installed in test vehicles, but due to their huge fuel consumption they are not very efficient. They are also not suited for stop-go-stop-go operations.

Remko

Ocean Traders Scale Models Facebook Group
Cat 797B
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:42:10 PM

Remko wrote:
MJW wrote:

Big gasturbines have been suggested, and were installed in test vehicles, but due to their huge fuel consumption they are not very efficient. They are also not suited for stop-go-stop-go operations.

Interesting topic!

On the theme of gas turbines why would one require a 'LARGE' gas turbine to generate the necessary horsepower, for the previously tested trucks anyway? Gas turbines produce far more power for their size than any cyclic engine.

As far as stop-go operation is concerned, you could couple the turbine to an electric generator and run the turbine at a constant speed, although I do agree that fuel consumption would still be an issue.

Chris
ulf
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:26:28 PM

Turbines are pretty finicky in less then ideal conditions. Hot air temperature, dust and stop and go operations are all detrimental to their performance. Union Pacific ran some 4500 HP and 8500 HP (locomotive) turbines in the '50s, but never achieved satisfactory economic results. Turbines are VERY expensive to maintain/repair. The airlines have good success because they run in very cold temperatures (better fuel efficiency,) clean air (no abrasion/corrosion) and at maximum rpm for long durations. Think
mike failla
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 12:25:37 PM

So lets recap;
1. Larger trucks are possible in 425-450 range but not probable due to
tire , engine and demand. If that change then probability will go up.
2. 1000 ton trucks at present are unworkable at this point
3. Guy has good future outlook. This is what U.S. needs. Keep thinking
guy. Where did the existing designs come from? Out of someones
head!
4. Why not nuclear and steam/electrical generation? Could be complicated
but would have the power and the ac/dc drives exist. Nuclear reactor could be made small and compact the develop the power needed. Tires? How about we make filled tires say semi hard rubber cast tires with outside casings like the existing 2 piece tires. If you are going to dream and speculate...speculate large!!! The rest is all steel..Now, how do we load
this puppy? Buehler? Buehler? anyone seen Buehler?
Cat 797B
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 5:27:59 PM

ulf wrote:
Turbines are pretty finicky in less then ideal conditions. Hot air temperature, dust and stop and go operations are all detrimental to their performance. Union Pacific ran some 4500 HP and 8500 HP (locomotive) turbines in the '50s, but never achieved satisfactory economic results. Turbines are VERY expensive to maintain/repair. The airlines have good success because they run in very cold temperatures (better fuel efficiency,) clean air (no abrasion/corrosion) and at maximum rpm for long durations. Think

That may have been the case in the 50's, however gas turbines have come a long way in the 50+ years since.

Hot air, dust and stop-go operations are detrimental to ANY type of engine whether it be gas turbine or cyclic, as they are both ultimately gas generators. I do however, tend to agree with you about dust though due to the large volumes of air required for a gas turbine. It is difficult to filter efficiently for the volumes required, although ships and oil/gas platforms have great success even with this taken into consideration and therefore should not present too much of an issue. As I suggested previously it would be easy to operate the gas turbine at a fixed speed, coupled to an electric generator, which would rule out the majority of the stop-start operation.

I disagree that airlines have good success due to the reasons you gave such as very cold temperatures, because it is in fact more difficult to operate in these conditions due to very low density of air, which, although good for the aerodynamics of the aircraft it is not good for the combustion of fuel, hence the turbomachinery has to work harder to obtain the volumetric efficiency required to produce a given output.

Also, aircraft gas turbines do NOT operate at maximum RPM for long durations. Max RPM occurs at take off when the maximum amount of stress is experienced by the turbomachinery. Cruise in flight where the aircraft operates for the majority of its operational life, requires engines to run at lower speed conditions for a number of reasons (wear, velocity, fuel consumption etc.......)Think
RPFowler
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 6:44:11 PM

I think the future lies in the other direction, small. Very small. Metal mining is all about getting at and then extracting the metalliferous components. Therefore rather than digging a big hole to get at it, dig the material out and then process it, send something in to get what you want and bring it out.

There are metal munching bugs that live in the deep oceans at mid ocean ridges. A few boreholes, some hydrofracturing, a few buckets of metal munchers and a big pump and your in business!

Think
D10N
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 1:16:36 AM

RPFowler wrote:
I think the future lies in the other direction, small. Very small. Metal mining is all about getting at and then extracting the metalliferous components. Therefore rather than digging a big hole to get at it, dig the material out and then process it, send something in to get what you want and bring it out.

There are metal munching bugs that live in the deep oceans at mid ocean ridges. A few boreholes, some hydrofracturing, a few buckets of metal munchers and a big pump and your in business!

Think

It depends on the orebodies we are dealing with - we've been bioleaching for years in the copper industry, and have even done some in situ stuff. Some (usually higher grade) ores just simply aren't amenable to SXEW processes. That said, I do actually forecast a return underground for some good orebodies - easier on the eye for the environmental lobby.
wayne87
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 4:21:33 AM

It would definately seem like engines are the weak link in the chain here, not tires. A 5th wheel coal bowl trailer behind a 797 would probably get to the 700 ton range. It would seem though, that for mines with even medium grades there is not an engine powerful enough to pull it out.
That then raises a point, why don't more mines that are relatively flat not use the articulated trailer on the bigger (say 793+ sizes) trucks? I know you are talking re-design of roads for greater turning radii, but surely the larger capacity offsets extra monies for bigger roads?
I am sure plenty of mines have thought this through, just wondering why it is not seen to be feasable?
Wayne Calder
zzzz DELETED 102917
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 4:01:33 PM

actually wayne i was thinking of doing a model of the cat 797 with 5th wheel coal bowl trailer and a cat 797 with a triple axle towhaul lowboy maybe
epistte
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:27:37 PM

wayne87 wrote:
It would definitely seem like engines are the weak link in the chain here, not tires. A 5th wheel coal bowl trailer behind a 797 would probably get to the 700 ton range. It would seem though, that for mines with even medium grades there is not an engine powerful enough to pull it out.
That then raises a point, why don't more mines that are relatively flat not use the articulated trailer on the bigger (say 793+ sizes) trucks? I know you are talking re-design of roads for greater turning radii, but surely the larger capacity offsets extra monies for bigger roads?
I am sure plenty of mines have thought this through, just wondering why it is not seen to be feasible?
Wayne Calder
I usually do not reply to DHS threads because I have no experience in the mining industry, but I would like to throw out a idea for criticism.

I am wondering if a 797 electric truck with a 2 axle trailer that has a separate engine-gen set and wheel motors, or the truck could be connected to a system of catenary lines for the extra power required on steep uphill runs. The trailer would probably have to be a bottom dump type, so this might pose a problem for mines set up for a end dump processing plant. The use of wheel motors would allow the use of articulated rear suspension to address the tire scrub when turning.

Miningexcavators, You are to be commended for your different ideas, and I hope that you consider studying Industrial design in the future. Applause
CarlBrutanananadilewski
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:29:25 PM

Thats an interesting idea. Cat had tested a model 786 in the mid 60's that was only a 240 capacity but had two engines running at each end. Only four were produced in that configuration though but it makes you wonder what they could do with the larger trucks such as the 797. I'll try to get a picture up later its a very interesting looking machine.

-Josh
MATrepanier
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 7:13:22 PM

Were using up all our resources quicker than nature can reproduce anyways so one day we wont need larger minning equipment. But then again some planets offer more that we can handle. Maybe we should design equipment that can take that material and bring it back to earth. Maybe in the near future but obviously not now.

Marc
CAT793
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2008 9:04:21 PM

Just got back from a week with Jimmy McCarty (Mr VIMS) and we did our best to get him pissed up till all hours and extract all the future information but his lips were well sealed but we all got talking ourselves and majority of us believed the way of the future was not bigger trucks but autonomous (operator free) wheelbarrows (don't even have a cab) just a big bath tub for product and a guided route. What a minesite would save in wage bills and we are in the middle of a boom so it will burst eventually and who will have wanted to have heavily invested in the technology just as it slumped. Just my thoughts and the future will tell the real story!
D10N
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:19:13 AM

Several of our top brass and brains have extolled the virtues of the mobile conveyor setup for years now - we're working that direction now with centralized crushers and long beltlines to the coarse ore stockpiles. The next challenge is in getting waste and leach materials shipped via conveyor from centralized dumping points. The trucks will never go away completely, but shortening hauls from 4 or 5 miles to a mile or less will reduce the number needed by a heck of a margin.
Greasemonkey
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:25:34 AM

mike failla wrote:
So lets recap;
4. Why not nuclear and steam/electrical generation? Could be complicated
but would have the power and the ac/dc drives exist. Nuclear reactor could be made small and compact the develop the power needed.

It's a nice idea, but I can see a few issues that would pretty much prohibit the use of nuclear power. I'll only touch on a couple points, but a rather important couple points anyhow. First off, with all of the nutjobs running around out there, do you really think the government is going to ok having all of the fuel for the reactors unsecured running around? Second, have you seen some of the rocket scientists they have running these things? Some of them actually think they are driving bumper cars. Third, I'm not sure a power plant and all of the generating equipment that would be needed could be made small, but powerful enough to actually fit and work. The Mister Fusion you saw in one of the Back to the future movies is probably a couple years off yet. Fourth, nuclear reactors are probably a bit sensitive to dirt and dust, not to mention vibration.....and trust me, haul trucks have boat loads of all three. So as nice of an idea as it seems, it really would be the wrong application for them.

wayne87 wrote:
I am sure plenty of mines have thought this through, just wondering why it is not seen to be feasable?

That's also a good question Wayne. Basically, it comes down to versatility. They need too much room to maneuver, and larger hoppers to unload into. They are more prone to getting stuck in soft conditions and harder to control in slippery conditions. The shops would need to be larger to accommodate them, and in general, they would not be as flexible as the operation changes. Even the big coal mines that run tractor drawn units still usually have to run rear dump machines to do all of the development work. So instead of needing two fleets of trucks, it's easier and more cost effective to run one fleet that will do more.

Brian
CAT793
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:36:18 AM

Jimmy McCarty showed us a movie of a mine in Chile that loads 793 with a conveyor with 22 D11R pushing the material onto the conveyor then falls through a hopper into the tub. 7 seconds per load cycle ! Food for thought.