DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Dewoc's Models PT 2 - Updated 7/16/12 Options · View
DeWoc19
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 4:26:52 PM

Groups: Member

started my new job.... kind of against the rules as one of my fellow employees will attest to this, but how often is it that people get to hear something like this

heres the sound of a 4000 HP engine @ idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAsSoyU-Qrw
AlvinB
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 5:14:35 PM

One of the state owned tracks leading to the Port here in Charleston is right outside my office window....those things shake the whole building when they get going from a stop right outside the door!

Pretty impressive to hear and feel.

When they hump the cars at the switch yard, it feels like an earthquake!

-Alvin.

The beatings will continue until Morale improves......
JohnGalt
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 5:28:58 PM

Congratulations on the new job.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 7:04:50 PM

Nice, what are you doing at NS? I have been invited twice for a recruiting session but couldn't make either, hoping the third times a charm Pray
DeWoc19
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:06:16 AM

conductor
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:05:30 AM

Same here, I had 3 different interviews with a local railroad here, thought i had the job but they chose someone else. Best of luck to you. Howndo you like it so far? Have you gone to Georgia and done all the training yet?
DeWoc19
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:01:52 PM

yeah i like it so far, the work itself isnt to hard but its a lot of information to learn! plus having to memorize all the yards and such, it feels overwhelming, but im getting it. Its all about repetition.

Yeah i went down to GA already, i got back 2 weeks ago, now im doing my 5 months of on the job training
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 2:32:52 PM

Big congrats man!! Applause Applause

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

tomcat1191
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 2:53:09 PM

That's funny deco I started about 8 weeks ago with ns.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

DeWoc19
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:03:41 PM

ahhh cool, congrats to you too then. What part of Michigan? you are obviously Dearborn division same as me then. Yeah including my time in GA ill be going on week 6 now
tomcat1191
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:19:59 PM

I am actually in the lake division but have been earning my seniority in Dearborn division.Dearborns headquarters is right but my yard I work in. This job has some pretty sweet perks though. You could have been in GA when I was on my final week. I left on the last week of June. Tis week I will be heading to Elkhart so it should be interesting. But congrats to you too man.

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:06:15 AM

seniority, LOL.... you dont have any seniority right now, but i know what you mean. We werent down there at the same time, i didnt start class until the 18th of July and yeah you are right this job does have some awesome perks.... im looking forward to using that perk on buying a new vehicle in a few months! How do you like through work? we only do yard work in Chicago mostly, do quite a bit of local work too but through work isnt even an option for us unless we request it, so at least i get to go home every night, but i have been working 12s since i got back from ATL which sucks considering the training pay but whatever, it will be worth it in the end right
dain555
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:17:36 PM

Congrats on the railroad jobs guys!!!!!!

I was trained as a brakeman when I was in the Air Force and that was fun, especially getting to ride the switch engine!!! We used an Alco S2.

Hopefully the model railroad bug will bite you guys now too!!!

Congrats again and be really glad you have those great jobs as working the railroad is almost as much fun as operating equipment in my mind!!!

Oh yeah, just remember one thing, if the train gets in an accident and the inspectors come to you and ask if you saw anything, the best responce is,

"No, I didn't see what happened. I was looking over here at that moment."

wether you saw anything or not!!Liar Liar Liar Whistle Whistle Whistle Eh? Eh?

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
GC1
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:56:24 PM

Amazing how many on here have railroad(we call them railways here) connections...I worked as an Electrical Fitter and Mechanic Apprentice on those big Queensland Rail Locos ...and many others in the day.
DeWoc19
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:25:16 PM

yeah dain, the model railroad bug has bit me, but i think it bit me when Graham started posting all his railroad models, im dying to get a model loco but i have to get past this training phase
CraneBrain
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:47:06 PM

Great to see you finally around the locomotives man! Hope your enjoying it, sure sounds like a buttload of fun! Applause Applause
ITmachine
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:33:12 PM

One of my coworkers got into CSX as a welder. Took 9 months to get accepted. Went to Georgia for training and whatnot and they found out he was an equipment operator at prior job. Now he runs a D10 at Port of Baltimore $37.00/hr unlimited hours. He is supposed to go back for 150 ton crane training @ something like $50/hr. Might put an application in myself.
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:46:51 PM

idk how it is for the other crafts at CSX, but for conductor you have to pay for your own training to go down and then they reimburse you.... and if you dont pass, you dont get your money back, and CSX doesnt guarantee that they have a job for you either after you pay for all that training, so its possible you may spend all that money and them not have any work for you. NO THANKS!
DeWoc19
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 2:16:25 PM

H.N. Krane LTM 11200, this showed up yesterday while i was taking a nap before work so i didnt have time to set it up, so i did it today when i got home.

Only a few pictures as others like Paul and Jose will have this model and take better pictures im sure, plus i dont want to hear the crying about the camera phone, just deal with the pictures

only problems i had with mine were a couple of those pop rivets came out and the string for the superlift jumped off both sheaves, those were a pain in the ass to get back on, other than that its a great model and the colors go nice together. Another homerun from HTM!!!
Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 2:31:51 PM

Phone camera or not, she still looks the biz! Really hoping mine arrives this week otherwise it will be another week before I get to see it Sad Home Friday leave Sunday for the US. Not sure the wife will appreciate me tinkering with my cranes the one day I'm actually at home!!

Paul R