DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Custom crawler crane update 6/15/15 Options · View
craneman
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:12:39 AM

Groups: Member

My advice is to decide for yourself what works best as it is "your" concept as both track set ups are in use in reality. The more traditional looking tracks are just that and may be why on here the opinion is that they are more appealing as it is "traditional" and personally more what I like. But since this is a concept crane, its nice to see something outside the norm. The thing to do here is once its set up and completed, see how it functions with both the traditional and the non traditional track set up, you may be surpised what it can do. Remember the Gottwalds that were just on outriggers, they are similar to your quad track set-up and had a much smaller footprint at the 4 corners than what you have and could pick a mint. The shorter Quad track setup is a time/cost saver and is easier to transport than splitting traditional tracks.

Either way, it is a monster and is unique, which is what forward thinking is all about. Nice crane, great topic/thread. Keep up the good work.

P.S. for your backmast to work, it looks like you may have to remove some pendant straps to get the boom angle before you run out of reeving....?
cranedude07
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:24:46 PM

I like it but now it kinda looks like the lr13000 and 11350, not much of a concept model.
I like the quad tracks too, it's different. Might be cool to incorporate the transi lift concept into it somehow too or 4100 extender idea. Just throwing ideas out there.
I like the big 2 tracks but just looks more like the 13000 rather than the concept your looking for

Just my 2 cents

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
prentissconstruction
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:37:53 PM

Your title says all CONCEPT. Therefore keep it concept mode. To me 4 tracks that could be set at independent heights, angles and widths would give a crane unlimited potential. Provided stability of balance and lift calculations are
quantified. The major crane companies did not get where they are today without thinking outside the box. If no one wants it when you get finished with a 4 track system make me an offer before it is painted. I would love to have
a concept crane. Keep up the great work and the progressive thinking. Best Regards,
CraneInnovation
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:19:21 PM

Looks AWESOME!

I think both track configurations look good, but I definitely think the quad track is better for the conceptual angle. I also think we're going to see cranes move in that direction for several reasons:

A) Quad tracks are much easier to mobilize and handle than two huge honkin' track assemblies.

B) As on the 31000, you can have one (or two) of the quad tracks exerting even ground pressure during the lift. This eliminates the triangular pressure distributions under normal tracks that can get VERY high when you're picking near capacity or have no load and a high boom angle (which, believe it or not, can sometimes be the controlling load case when designing a pad or trestle to support a crane). Most cranes are sitting heavily on the rear track idler when not loaded.

C) As prentissconstruction mentioned, multiple tracks would allow designers to start getting self leveling and other nifty things.

D) Multiple smaller tracks would allow designers to have one or two "standard" track assemblies that they can use more or less of on different models. Maybe your 100 ton crane has a pair of them, and your 800 tonner has 8, and your 16000 tonner has 16 in more of a bucket-wheel excavator arrangement etc. Standardized parts and sizes brings manufacturing and maintenance cost down.

Maybe having both available IS a new concept? Either way, VERY NICE.

The fundamental aim....is to do everything that is attempted in a first-class way."
-Pierre S. Dupont
JohnGalt
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:04:35 PM

Great job on an awesome model. I agree with all the discussion above.

However, I have been reluctant to say this so as not to detract from your modeling skills, but it looks as though the cab door won't open if the cab is tilted. Minor detail, and otherwise a tremendous model. Keep up the good work.
craneman
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:25:40 PM

prentissconstruction: "To me 4 tracks that could be set at independent heights, angles and widths would give a crane unlimited potential" This would be handy for wind farm work as you could narrow up the tracks for travel on small roads and eliminate the need for outriggers as you would extend them in an outrigger like pattern when you go to lift. In limited access situations in refineries would give you the flexability to get into more areas, you would have to have multiple charts for reduced or asymmetrical track configurations but the crane computer can be config'ed to do that. You have virtually limitless potential with this concept, you could apply it to smaller sized cranes as well, you could end up with a spider crane set-up with regards to utilizing 4 tracks the same as they do with multi postional outriggers.

I wanna see where you can go with this idea.
plumber
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:08:22 PM

All the technical talk aside.... Either way, great modeling Jason. To be able to pick and choose what's in your collection, make any model, of any machine, of any scale, with any amount of detail, at a minimal cost compared to market models...that's truly bad ass. I'm quite jealous. Good job bud.
Shawn
bigcranes
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:20:22 PM

I would go with the Quad tracks myself, just make them a little larger. Just my 2 cents.

Awesome model either way!!

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
hummer13
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 1:23:56 AM

Hey guys thanks for all your thoughts. I actually thought about making a second crane in a lower size class to utilizedthe " spider leg" design. I think I am leaning towards a Liebherr prototype for a crane to fill in between the 11350 & 13000. It can be called the LR12000. I am a big Liebherr fan so if I could design a prototype for them how awesome would that be.
But it sounds like you guys are now liking quads better. Like I said I am already planning another crane in my head . I am looking at a 800 ton class or smaller design for windfarm undercarriage. It will have 4 legs that feature hydr. width for travel down farm roads. Each leg will also have height adjustment to minimze pad setup. My mind does not stop designing I think I have some kind of sickness

I am running a 40 hobbylaser from fs laser. It is a good laser for now but next one will have more power probably a 60 w with a cylinder cutter. Just could not afford that one when I bought mine now which still cost my a few thousand.

That is the best thing Shawn if I want a special model I just build it. Price is a lot cheaper building my own. A rough estimate for this build is right around $150 for parts not to bad . A crane model in this size class would be well over $1000. Now if I start adding in labor time for design and operating cost to run laser price to build will start to climb up.
Prentis an offer on this build hmmm might have to make a second to see if I can recoup some build cost

Thanks again for the feed back keep it coming

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
dain555
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:00:30 PM

Great job so far Jason!!! I would cast the weights separately then you can adjust the weight as needed for different boom lengths.

Great job and keep up the pics of the progress!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
hummer13
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:30:03 PM

Ok quick update I have been slowly getting the second 70+ tracks cast just about there
I had some time so I took crane outside for some quick pics

I also have another main boom section done. I am just waiting on my bulk plastic order to get here.

It is going to be tall when I am done. Wife is wondering where I am going to put it

Hope you like progress

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
VIPCranes
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:03:28 PM

Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 4:57:31 AM

Brilliant! What sort of colours are you thinking? For me, it'd have to be lemon yellow including tracks and frames
a Cutter
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:27:01 PM

Sorry if this has been said already but perhaps it can be configured in both ways (hypothetically speaking) for different applications.
hummer13
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:09:46 PM

Hey guys I have some more progress. I have made some more counter weights, heavy lift head , flying bridle

I have it set up in short heavy lift since I am still waiting on my tube order

I have a transform weighing down hook. This will be for sale once I have money to purchase more resin

Heavy head

Bridle

I did not totally reeve because i have to take apart

Here you can see the winch for luffing main boom

I designed this winch which is spring loaded and locks in place. You can see on the right side of winch is the locking system

I also added hyd motors for running wincj. I added hyd lines for detail

Hopfully my tube order comes in this week and i can get some height on main boom.

Things I have redesigned is a completely new slew ring and Iam redoing main a frame

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
Antho
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 4:26:22 PM

That's terriffic! Fantastic job buddy!
cranedude07
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:36:45 PM

Newcrane
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:45:49 PM

The model engineering is excellent. I liked the older quad track concept better though, maybe with larger tracks. Keep up the great work.

Sean
pnut213
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:36:39 PM

WOW this is truly amazing!! I have read every word and just smile looking at each pictures detail. Wish I had the computer smarts to sit n make something remotely close to this. I collect 64 scale stuff and would just love to be able to create some machines and loads for the display. You are an amazing talent!!!
Kranhuber
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 3:15:31 PM

The model looks for me like an hybrid between Demag CC 8800-1 and Liebherr LR 11350 Smile !