DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Liebherr R9800 ( ACTION VIDEO OF FINISHED MODEL ) Options · View
Don Campbell
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 1:15:16 PM
Groups: Member

Todays picture shows the top sheet metal now in place , you can also see a few more of the top railings have been started. Now I am designing the first parts for the cab . Anyone following the daily building progress pictures can see it at www.doncampbellmodels.com
renaultman
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 1:23:56 PM

Top class, if that was me, I'd be still cutting the peices out. Can't wait to see the monster finished.

RowanH
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 3:18:20 PM

I don't think I've ever enjoyed following a build as much as this one before! However, you say there is an RH400 next! It will be simply amazing (even in scale form) to see an R9800 excavator alongside an RH400 shovel. Do you plan on building them in the same scale?

Oh and by the way, I have always wondered, how do you print such large scale images? You must have one heck of a printer!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

renaultman
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 4:28:11 PM

RowanH wrote:

Oh and by the way, I have always wondered, how do you print such large scale images? You must have one heck of a printer!

Rowan.

Same here

JustinE
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 5:37:01 PM

Look's great Don!

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
ssdphoto
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 6:52:49 PM

Don:

I like seeing your progress, but do you have any photos of you actually doing the work?
I mean it would be great to see your process. Images of you cutting steel, welding, grinding, figuring out placement of stuff.

If I lived any closer I would offer to do a documentary on you and your technique. I think it would be fascinating to watch you work and create these incredible works of art in steel!!

Stephen

Stephen SetteDucati, Manager of Marketing and Media
MCM Management Corp.

Basketball Man
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 7:19:04 PM

I could never getr things done as fast as you DonApplause

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
CAT 328D LCR
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 7:52:59 PM

Very Very nice!
Don Campbell
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 8:36:25 PM

Stephen,
If we still lived in Leominster, Mass, you could drive to our house ?
I just got the deposit from Leon this week to confirm the O&K RH-400 Shovel Model will be built next. Yes, it will be 1/12th scale too.
To enlarge the drawings, I use Adobe photoshop and enlarge each page and tape them all together . Very slow and crude process for the big models but effective.
As far as showing welding and grinding , and cutting with the plasma cutter and electric shears , people have e-mailed me in the past complaining , saying it didn't look safe. So I stopped posting those kinds of pictures to avoid those kind of E-mails.
I probably need a weekly TV show like TOOLTIME to show me in action actually cutting and welding and drilling all the parts. There are a LOT of steps involved in between the daily pictures I post. I work an average of 12 hours everyday in the workshop designing, sanding , grinding, etc.
The end of this week you will start to enjoy the looks of it. Tomorrows picture I should have the cab walls all cut out, windows and door openings filed smooth and tacked together. Thanks again for all your positive input. Sorry I can't spend more time on the computer and be more involved on the forum.
Don Campbell
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:36:40 PM

Todays progress picture shows the cab walls and the cab roof all cut out and the window and door openings all cut out with a plasma cutter and filed smooth and all tack welded in place. Now I am designing the first parts for the components that mount behind the cab. Anyone interested in following the daily progress in pictures can go to www.doncampbellmodels.com
CAT 328D LCR
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:35:59 PM

Very nice Don!
Basketball Man
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:02:17 PM

Man that Is an encredible amount of time that you put in. This model will be huge.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
JustinE
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:08:44 PM

Boy do you move fast Don!!! I bet by the end of the month you'll have this beast all finished.

-Justin

"Everyone's Goal Is To Mine More Coal!"
PAmining
http://www.youtube.com/user/PAmining
Don Campbell
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:36:58 PM

I should get it all roughed in this month , then the first week of May get it painted.
I will update the progress picture tonight of the rear air cleaner unit and exhaust stacks.
Don Campbell
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 9:05:44 PM

Todays progress picture shows the right side air cleaner junction box and the two large exhaust stacks . Anyone following the daily progress pictures can see them at www.doncampbellmodels.com
RowanH
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:47:14 AM

Hi again Don, I was just wondering, have you ever built a model and come to a point where you go "Uh oh, I definately should have built that first" and have had to go back and rebuild sections? I have done this a billion times on my builds but I am getting better at planning before hand to avoid such situations.

I ask because even though I know you will not have any problems with this build, on your website it states "Once the top parts are roughed in, I will move back to the front of the frame and start designing the framework that will support the large boom assembly and the lift cylinders."

I just assumed that the mounting frame would have been one of the first parts of the upper structure you would have completed and am in no way doubting your build process, just curious. Thanks again,

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Don Campbell
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:00:14 AM

Hi Rowan,
We all have different methods to our madness, ha,ha.
I'm sure you wondered why I started with the bucket too ?
But I assure you after building so many models, I got this one all planned out as to the steps involved to build it. Once the front boom and cylinder support is done and the top is done I will get going next week on the Crawlers.
Don Campbell
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 12:12:40 PM

Todays picture shows a few more parts cut out and welded together for the top deck of the Excavator model. Anyone following the pictures progress can view todays picture at www.doncampbellmodels.com
Don Campbell
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 1:56:14 PM

Todays progress picture shows the front center frame built and attached to the boom and the lift cylinders . Now it finally starting to take a little shape. Now I am designing and cutting out the first parts for the first track frame. Anyone following the progress pictures can see todays progress at www.doncampbellmodels.com
Don Campbell
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:30:06 PM

Track parts started today as I am now designing and working on the first 9 bogie wheels and the front track pulleys.