DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Gbarnewall's Machine and Model pics(UPDATE March 16th Conexpo ) Options · View
gbarnewall
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 11:26:37 PM

Groups: Member

Hi all,here's a late night( in Eire) report on my 18000,I'm shot to bits,my eyes are hanging out with the tiredness and i'm twitching with the stress and nerves,oh the fun of re-reeving your Manitowoc 18000

I bought this crane way way way back and it had one of those beloved twisted boom sections,I figured it was too late for TWH to do anything about it,as the time frame from buying it,and me joining th eforum and seeing you coudl email them and they's send you out a replacement was probably about 4 yrs,so as a shot in the dark i emailed them,got some feed back from them and a few weeks later a very light box arrived at my door,you just can't beat that kind of after sales service,really hats off to you guys at TWH,

that all happened about a year ago,and after seeing Brandons excellent video this got me in the mood to tackle the replacement boom foot section,also thanks Brandon for sending my anger/stress and nerve levels through the roof!!!! Teeth Teeth you shouldn't be allowed make it look so easy

enough waffle,here are some pics,actually the first real pics i took of her

little Terex man must have jumped the fence...

I like this one,shiney new boom foot section

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

favco500
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 11:44:05 PM

After seeing that I'll have to put my replacement boom foot in that TWH sent me,not looking forward to it.
gbarnewall
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 11:47:55 PM

favco500 wrote:
After seeing that I'll have to put my replacement boom foot in that TWH sent me,not looking forward to it.

hahaha,I know what you have ahead of you lol,its super fun! lol

good luck with it,get it over and done with

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

cranedude07
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 12:09:20 AM

some very nice photos, glad i could help Teeth , i think doing that cc8800 would be alot harder than the 18000, but i dont have that crane yet, so i dont know how hard it actually is, but hopefully someday, i will find out, once you break it down and put it back together a few times, it becomes easier and faster Wink its not so bad, just maybe reeving the blockWhistle , depends on how you reeve it

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
DeWoc19
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:49:57 AM

CC8800 is easy as pie man, that straight reeve takes no time.... 18000 i will never do more than i have to cause i hate all that cross reeving..... plus the pulleys on the hook block for the 8800 have like a barrier almost so that once the cable is in the pulley it cant jump out so you dont have to worry about any lines jumping

looks good though Graham, i would like the Aguado version.... i think thats a sexy livery!!!
cranedude07
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:57:49 AM

thats how i reeve my 18000, same as you do the 8800, and i dont use every sheave on the block, i use just the middle 7 sheaves, and every other one, so it can lower down and back up if i have to, if you have it fully reeved, it wont go down at all, i tried it one time since ive had it, never doing it againShame on you

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
bigcranes
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:31:14 AM

Glad to see her back in action Graham, very nice pictures. TWH must have produced twice as many butt sections as actual models. I sent mine to a new home recently, was just laying around and I kept having trouble with the drums holding any tension. Love the 8800 in the back, my favorite of the current crawlers!

mark

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:43:57 AM

bigcranes wrote:
Glad to see her back in action Graham, very nice pictures. TWH must have produced twice as many butt sections as actual models. I sent mine to a new home recently, was just laying around and I kept having trouble with the drums holding any tension. Love the 8800 in the back, my favorite of the current crawlers!

mark

That is probably the worst thing about this model, coupled with QC and the fact it is a bitch to reeve!! But all that said, it does look grand when it is all set up. I to have a replacement butt section but it will be a while before I tackle it again!

Enjoy it Graham!

Paul R
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 10:44:40 AM

thanks guys,and here I was thinking I was gonna get slated for fitting the butt section a year after I recieved it,lol,

C'mon guys!! its the most fun you'll ever have!!Teeth Teeth Teeth

ulf
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:49:37 PM

Paul R wrote:
But all that said, it does look grand when it is all set up.
Enjoy it Graham!

Paul R

They really are museum quality models...
gbarnewall
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:44:06 PM

can't have an 18000 sitting idle,so I took out my sewing kit Teeth Teeth and made some more slings,beats cutting pieces out of the hook

can anyone lend me their power drill for a few hours Teeth Think Whistle

cranedude07
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:29:15 PM

Great job on it

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:53:58 PM

some balsa wood,wood glue, time and a blistering hot sunday and this is what I made,yep another load

and a nice Scania I snapped during the week while parts shopping for work

AlvinB
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:31:39 PM

Nice pics!

I really want to build a truck or two, but I just have not had the motivation to do it.....maybe soon. I have been collecting tires and rims at least...Whistle

-Alvin.

The beatings will continue until Morale improves......
Martin J.
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:38:38 PM

Nice work now whats inside it?? Think Think

Engineering; Its all STRESS and not just Force over Area!
dain555
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 12:21:36 PM

Nice crate Graham, might also want to use bass wood as it makes it heavier, can use our formula to figure the weight,LOL!!!!!

Did you also notice the "Felbermeyer" on the front of your truck is wee bit wavy (front of name is higher than back)????

Also if you ever get tired of the crane you can ship it across the pond to me,LOL !!!! Teeth Teeth Whistle Whistle

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
gbarnewall
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 4:06:50 PM

a couple of more "pics from the trip home from work"

Crane Hire Ltd's what I think is their ac120

These are all I could get,things were getting a bit sketchy between taking snaps and keepin the ol' car shiney side up

gbarnewall
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 4:10:11 PM

dain555 wrote:
Nice crate Graham, might also want to use bass wood as it makes it heavier, can use our formula to figure the weight,LOL!!!!!

Did you also notice the "Felbermeyer" on the front of your truck is wee bit wavy (front of name is higher than back)????

lol yeah,I noticed that too,but its the perfect model,it means you have to have a few beers for it to appear level,and any model that requires beer is a winner in my book Teeth

formula? I don't know what you mean?? weight can't be scaled Liar Liar Liar d'oh!

dain555
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 4:44:47 PM

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you Shame on you :d/ :d/ Applause Applause Whistle Whistle d'oh! d'oh!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Crane Crew
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 10:23:56 PM

[/quote]

lol yeah,I noticed that too,but its the perfect model,it means you have to have a few beers for it to appear level,and any model that requires beer is a winner in my book Teeth

Amen!Applause

If you only do what you've always done, you will only get what you always got!