DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Gbarnewall's Machine and Model pics(UPDATE March 16th Conexpo ) Options · View
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:33:52 AM

Groups: Member

Thanks Brandon,Joe and wild west Homer,

Joe I'll get working on a few comparison pics for you,in general the US engines are alot bigger physically than our Irish ones,which I suspect would be quite similar to the UK ones,US ones can be more than 10 1/2 ft wide,75ft+ long and tip the scales around 200tonne

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

GusO
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 12:29:46 PM

No problem down loading the site what would the euro engine retail at does it come from the us ?
what about customs? ill have to get one of these they would make some load.
Didnt an irish engine make it into the guinness world records a few yrs ago as the heaviest load carried by air in one of those big antonov from canada to ireland?
goodluck gus.
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:07:44 PM

Thar she blows Gus

With the exchange rate Gus they engines work out cheaper buying from the US,even though you end up paying the duty

The engines come in a few forms,

2 rail or 3 rail,2 rail have scaled wheels and look more prototypical,realistic

Then you can buy some powered or unpowered(dummy),Dummy engines are cheaper,and lighter,they have no motors,which is ideal for posing as a load,

I noticed in the catalogue a few of the euro engines offer 2 rail dummies,which they dont' offer on the US engines,

They offer 4 of the TRAXX F140 locos in non-powered scale wheel version,

20-5656-6 Railion
20-5653-6 CARGO
20-5654-6 Connecting Europe
20-5655-6 MRCE Dispolok

All retail for a superb $229 + shipping + duty

Now the deciding factor,if you're a stickler for accuracy in scale,these locos are 1/45,but to be fair I don't think its too noticeable

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:13:54 PM

Hi Joe,been busy this weekend,so I just had a quick flick back through my thread,I found these few pics,I hope they can help

gbarnewall wrote:

Cat 854G
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 5:43:58 PM

Spot on Graham,cheers,
Regards
joe.

"Some people are always looking for new kinds of mistakes to make"
gbarnewall
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:01:13 PM

Back again with another fairly decent job,a shredder/sizer lift,

Greenstar planned on changing their old 8 knife M&J shredder in favour of a more efficient 6 knife shredder,M&J are now owned by Metso,

I was missing on day 1 due to personal matters so I missed the removal of the old shredder and hopper,I think the new shredder plus hyd motors weighed in about 19tonne

New shredder arrived on a curtain side, but was too busy to get snaps,a hell of alot of bolts to undo when swapping the old hyd motors/bearings/shrink discs and shaft flanges and torque arms,all of which are torqued when bolted to the knew shafts and shredder table

Here are the few pics I could get

Torqueing the main bearings,1500nm with 10-1 multiplier

Brand new shredder table and shafts,these will need to be hard faced ASAP,teeth and table

another shot of her delf

Lifting the new shredder

Lowering onto frame work where she will live for next 3 or 4 yrs

Finally on with the hopper

TWH's Meade Grove will be a nice addition when they finally appear,even though the model is not accurate,the livery is nice,clean and simple

Sorry for pic quality,lighting is bad,and so was the dust and sweat

Oh this greeted us on Friday night too,Untha shredder threw a drive belt,€7K please!!

Belts are in this year,as modelled by fitter Gar

a quick look at the belly of the beast

gbarnewall
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 9:38:47 PM

Well I can happily say I got the phone call of all phone calls today,it was a week of mixed emotions as my grand mother passed away last Tuesday,then 6 days later,today I finally received the keys to my new and first house,signed for in June,a few days after my birthday,builder told me it would be ready in 6 weeks,so I guess 6 weeks later,on December 19th finally she's mine,I still cannot believe what I got for the money.

I reveal... Window Sill 2.0 Teeth Cool

Now who's up for helping me pack away all my babies to ship to their new home????

DeWoc19
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 9:41:56 PM

congrats man, looking forward to seeing what you do with the place and how you can display your collection.

if it doesnt work out for you ill display them for you
gbarnewall
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 9:44:25 PM

Cheers Woc!! it was a long drawn out process,the "novelty" was wearing off but the excitement is back x a million

9ft ceilings,built for a model crane collector Wink

cranedude07
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 10:18:42 PM

Congrats graham! Like woc said, can't wait to see how you set it all upWinkAni

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Antho
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 11:01:11 PM

My deepest sympathies for you grandma my friend but all I can say for your new house is...

CONGRATS!!!! I'm really happy for you Graham! I'm up for the help! Where's my plane ticket?

And try to forget the metal detectors Whatever

gabugman
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:00:41 AM

Congrats on the new digs, condolences on the passing of your Grandma.

Bug

ITW Security
Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:29:45 PM

9ft ceilings - very nice! Only wish my house had taller ceilings but guess I can't have everything.

Paul R
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:18:33 PM

Sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother, my deepest sympathies for you brother!!!

Now on the lighter side, I'm very happy you finally have the keys to your new home!!!

Can't wait to see 2.0 fired up for snaps of the equipment!!!

Uh, if you need help we'd be glad to come and visit for a few (years) and help you get your goodies moved!!

Congrats and sympathies brother and remember if you run out of room in your new place for an 11200 or 2 your more than welcome to ship them here for "storage",haha!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Paul
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:28:36 PM

Ah, that's two new houses(Paul R) where I'm looking forward to seeing bigger and better models rooms.

9ft ceilings?, crane heaven!.

Smile

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Homer
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:48:14 PM

Great stuff Graham well worth the wait, cant wait to see all 3 floors full with cranes, trains, cars, trucks, mining and dirt equipment! That window cill 2.0 looks ideal for photgraphing long HH loads and i'll be expecting plenty outdoor pics taken on that balcony too! Wink I'll have to drop in for tea next time i'm up that way! Teeth

Interesting work pics too, I had an S.Meade Heavy Haulage Scania with palfinger in my workplace only yesterday. I think they might be from the same stable of 'Meades' as the livery is the exact same as the crane company!

Finally, sorry to hear about your granny. Sad

Noel.
gbarnewall
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:02:07 PM

Thanks guys for all the kind words and words of sympathy,very much so sppreciated

Noel I suspect a big mug of T'n JD? Teeth Teeth

GC1
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:41:26 PM

My condolences on the passing of your grandmother Graham.

Gonna miss that old window, just isn't the same.

Congratulations on your new digs, as they say a mans castle is his home. I have 9' ceilings and they are great. We need them here because of the heat and it is getting hot as we speak. Your first visit is obviously a visit to Ikea for the shelves etc, amongst other goodies that can be picked up there.
GusO
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:28:37 PM

Brother what a window sill one of the finest i have ever seen fantastico is it only the one or have you manySmile
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:15:00 PM

Well,its been a long time since I last posted anything on the forum,finally last Tuesday the model I have been most looking forward to arrived,

No damage,no beat up package,no broken parts,just the usual as can be expected "built like a brick out house" Conrad model,

Lacking in detail a bit,but the tube of glue stays unopened

Appologies for the poor pics,using my 17th century camera phone
The box is half the size of the LTM11200

pendants are plastic,and the SSL is a bit fidgety to reeve,but nothing out of the ordinary,4 winch drums,3 big ones which is nice,all sprung loaded,

Will be nice to see what companies buy the AC1000 and then the liveries that follow